18 days since end of season....

fritter

UTC Legend
.... and still no announcement about who the manager will be. Is this quite extraordinary incompetence and a lack of any planning (again) or a proper plan that they can’t announce yet as details are being ironed out?

Also, who will host the press conference? Mostyn or Blake?

I don’t think Blake even exists any more.

Do you really think they will use a hosted press conference? My guess is a simple statement on COWS. (If that!)

“The truth is that without him knowing it we’ve been indirectly interviewing Jonathan ever since the season ended. We’ve been particularly impressed by a number of his Instagram posts and restaurant choices, and his ability to do very little in the close season has resonated with the board. We look forward to backing Jonathan in the loan market on the deadline day in August.”

Even given the... ponderous machinations of the club both after relegation and mid season, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise. But all the same, if you'd told me after full time in the 2nd leg that 18 days later the only bit of confirmed news we'd have would be Jack Wilshere leaving (which I think we all could have assumed) I would have been surprised and disappointed.

We keep saying that surely like a swan the club are busy working under the surface, and that one of these days the club will announce a whole load of news... manager, coaches, players etc. Here's hoping!

Otherwise we will get left behind in preparedness, again.

At this stage its hard to imagine it being anyone but Woodgate.

Maybe they won't ever announce anything.

Personally I think they will give Woodgate a 3 year contract and sack him mid season. What decent manager in their right mind would come here. Only ever going to be a stepping stone to getting a proper job.

Personally I think they will give Woodgate a 3 year contract and sack him mid season. What decent manager in their right mind would come here. Only ever going to be a stepping stone to getting a proper job.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did appoint and then sack him similar to tindall.

But I actually think we're a very attractive proposition to many managers at this level.

I fear that as before, everybody we are approaching is blowing us out.

If the majority of AFCB supporters think the club is going down the toilet, what do you think the rest of the human race thinks?

If we went back to Groves or Quinn, I bet they'd not take the job either.

Perhaps we should go down the Ebbsfleet route, with recruitment, tactics and team selection by public vote.

That wa we can employ an apprentice manager to learn the ropes from the fans

Max saves money and we have meaningful dialogue as fans. Jobs a good un

I still believe EH is coming back but obviously the contract negotiations are very complex this time around. Apparently the major sticking point at the moment is EH's desire to have Sweet Caroline reinstated on match days. As a club which "listens to its fans", AFCB is refusing to budge an inch on this important contract clause, confident that if no agreement can be reached, JW is still waiting in the wings.
;)

Talking of JW, I dreamt last night that the other JW, Jack Wilshere, got the manager's job. He reckoned he'd done his badges apart from the last one ( a bit like the other JW ) but because of his love for the club and its fans, he'd decided to call time on his playing career and start his managerial career here.
A bit bizarre really and no, I hadn't eaten cheese before bedtime !
:unsure:

Last edited:
Whatever you do don’t tell the board it will spoil their summer holidays
I must admit, it does feel a bit like that. JW will probably get the job, it has already been decided but nothing will be made official until everybody on the board is back from their holidays. Would be about true to form for our lot !

I must admit, it does feel a bit like that. JW will probably get the job, it has already been decided but nothing will be made official until everybody on the board is back from their holidays. Would be about true to form for our lot !
Club Statement
" We, the Board, didn't realise the need to isolate after our holidays, and this meant we couldn't announce anything until the season ticket window closed and after that it seemed too late to do anything anyway"
End of statement

.... and still no announcement about who the manager will be. Is this quite extraordinary incompetence and a lack of any planning (again) or a proper plan that they can’t announce yet as details are being ironed out?

Also, who will host the press conference? Mostyn or Blake?

I don’t think Blake even exists any more.
It is incompetence in the extreme. This isn’t rocket science. Woodgate was appointed on a short-term contract. We were either going to achieve the owners ambition (get promoted) or we weren’t. In either scenario the board have had several months to plan ahead and the fact that they are merely “planning“ the process of recruitment now beggars belief. And the most frustrating thing is that we, as fans, can do nothing about it whatsoever. Meanwhile this parasitic bunch of incompetents continue to take money under false pretences.

It is incompetence in the extreme. This isn’t rocket science. Woodgate was appointed on a short-term contract. We were either going to achieve the owners ambition (get promoted) or we weren’t. In either scenario the board have had several months to plan ahead and the fact that they are merely “planning“ the process of recruitment now beggars belief. And the most frustrating thing is that we, as fans, can do nothing about it whatsoever. Meanwhile this parasitic bunch of incompetents continue to take money under false pretences.

Can I like this post more than once?

In fact, if possible, could this be put on a billboard at the entrance to DC.

Last edited:
I do love the way you all work yourselves into a frenzied lather. Each responding with anguish to the previous post and trying to be even more outraged.

Do you really think it likely that whatever position existed several months ago has remained completely unchanged since then? For example, Eddie was going to Celtic and now he isn't. Targets may have been approached, turned us down or will be negotiating. Who knows. Do you think they should have started negotiations while JW was in charge? I think that would have looked pretty awful.

I do love the way you all work yourselves into a frenzied lather. Each responding with anguish to the previous post and trying to be even more outraged.

Do you really think it likely that whatever position existed several months ago has remained completely unchanged since then? For example, Eddie was going to Celtic and now he isn't. Targets may have been approached, turned us down or will be negotiating. Who knows. Do you think they should have started negotiations while JW was in charge? I think that would have looked pretty awful.

Agree Rob, 18 days is too long is it? so when is the threshold between ok and too long. Is 22 totally unacceptable or do people want to appoint anyone to meet a non existent timeline and regret it for 18 months? Even JW should be appointed now as we have reached 18 days since season end - the man presided over 4 defeats in the last 5 games and baring a glaring miss by Brentford would be winless in that time.

Perhaps the board have lost their plan b option; maybe plan A hasn’t been ruled out of Spurs or palace so should we just give up rather have a bit of patience? The board said by end of week at the start of the week and it isn’t end of week yet!

I’m not in a lather Rob, nor am I attempting to be more outraged than anyone else, albeit I am outraged! 18 days may not be long but this incompetent board have had months to plan for basically two eventualities.

It is possible that targets have been identified/pursued, but unsuccessfully, although this would contradict the statement made by the Chairman. In any event any approach would have likely been leaked to the media too - very little is kept quiet in the world of football.

However, if they have been so unsuccessful then this, once again, demonstrates how incompetent these people are because smart people would only go after a target once they have undertaken the necessary due diligence and have determined that there is a strong likelihood of any approach being successful. And we know how successful the clubs due diligence process is by simply looking at a number of the poor signings that have been made over the past few years (the majority of the media picked this up when Hughes was being touted for Celtic).

I standby what I said earlier which is not just based upon this debacle but many others over the past few years, including the lack of any legacy whatsoever as a consequence of our stint in the PL - this in itself is indefensible.

;