2 points per game

3 of the next 4 are very winnable. The 4th is United at home. I wouldn't bet against 3 points there.

I was hoping for 19 points by the end of Oct, but that was certainly a stretch goal. It is within touching distance already! Even being ultra conservative we could be on 25 points by Dec 25th but if we could get to 30..I think we can look forward to yet another season in the prem!

Progress for me won't be top half league position, it will be if we can end the season in the 50-60 point bracket. 1.5 points/game gives you 57 points so we are well ahead of target so far in my eyes.

A great start to the season and team playing with confidence and getting results. Interesting that our points/goals total for previous seasons against same opponents is very similiar.
2015/16 16pts F 14 A 8
2016/17 10pts F 12 A 12
2017/18 16pts F 14 A 8
2018/19 16pts F 16 A 12
Our progress will depend on continuing our greater confidence/performances in the games against the bigger teams in November and December

As buck land man says, After these 8 games we are on the same points won from the same 8 last season (substituting Brighton with second place promoted side Cardiff).

So we need some balanced perspective. Having said that, we are better than last season and the momentum we have will hopefully help us rather than some of the must-win games we had last autumn when desperate for points.

A great start to the season and team playing with confidence and getting results. Interesting that our points/goals total for previous seasons against same opponents is very similiar.
2015/16 16pts F 14 A 8
2016/17 10pts F 12 A 12
2017/18 16pts F 14 A 8
2018/19 16pts F 16 A 12
Our progress will depend on continuing our greater confidence/performances in the games against the bigger teams in November and December

While I don’t disagree with your closing statement, I don’t think you can really compare results between seasons.

West Ham are essentially a new team, Cardiff ARE a new team. The Chelsea win from last season is a bit of an anomalous stat, considering we didn’t really play much worse this season, whereas they were far better. I don’t think these kind of stats can really tell you much about performance levels.

Having watched every game, it’s clear to see that we are a MUCH better side than last year. Our performances have been largely excellent. But if you were to just compare the Burnley away results, you’d think we’d taken a massive step back.

Totally agree that we are playing much than last year, putting four passed mid table teams like Leicester and Watford show we have something special and extra this year.

To me, our overall target for the season, apart from playing well and enjoying the team performances and overall experience of all the noise around being a premiership club, it is firstly about achieving those 40 points to maintain that position and then can we build on that.

In our previous 3 seasons we have achieved just over 40 points, so I find it useful as a measure of how we are doing in retaining our premiership status to compare where we got points in the previous seasons(replacing the relagated teams with the promoted teams) with the current season. After 8 games it is very similiar to previous seasons.

In each season we have put a run together where we get about 14/15/16 points from 8/9 games and it moves us away from the relegation area/battle.

We have put that run together at the start of the season this year and are playing with great confidence as a team working together for each other. Our next four games include 3 teams who are struggling and Man Utd (who knows what's going on there), so if we are moving on this season to an upper mid table team with our better performances/results we must be looking to have 3 wins and unbeaten in those games.

Good times!

;