2 Toon Tables

table

UTC Legend
Some thoughts and musings on our Big Day Out.

Friday was spent in preparation for the trip, early to bed and up at 3 am, in Bournemouth train station at 6-00, departed 6-25. Arrived in Newcastle about 12-45. We left St. James' Park early to catch the 5-32 train. 2 changes but 1 delay, Southampton 11-00 pm 'til midnight.What a dive their train station is, the Gents were out of use. The disabled loo had no toilet paper, soaking wet floor and most amazingly, flies living in there. It didn't dawn on me how unusual that is in this country until days later. Got back home and into bed 3-00 Sunday morning, after a round trip of 730 miles.

Although we missed Cookie rising like a salmon and clinching the victory in injury time (crucial goals at that time magnify the joy, exhilaration or despair x 10 ). It was still one of the best football adventures for myself and the Good Lady. It's the furthest we have travelled in a single day since we went Pontinental for a week in Torremolinos 30 years ago : )

One of the top things for me was the travelling, from Brum' onwards the train filled with football supporters, we'd already said hello to other Cherries on the train. On the way back, it started off rammed, with ecstatic Cherries, stunned Geordies. I had the honour of sitting next to Laurence Jones,Newcastle to Sheffield, had a great chat about all things football ( what a gent, even listened to my eager ramblings ).

From Sheffield to Birmingham, I eavesdropped on a conversation between some Brummies and a Newcastle fan. Absolutely amazed at their knowledge of each others clubs and past players. Although, slightly drunk, they were cheerful and polite about all thing football except when it came to the Villa and the Mackens. Both had very strong views on their local rivals : )

The supporters and people of Newcastle were marvellous to us, went out of their way (literally) to help us back to the station. Very friendly city, just not that practical for wheelchairs.
It was heartening to bewith our supporters, other clubs fans, Geordies and the general public. Special mention to the railway staff, they were excellent and provided all the assistance and help they promised. It's heartening to feel that, whatever the government are doing to the most vulnerable at the moment, the British public are still GREAT : )

The 2 downs of the day were missing the goal and Southampton's latrine ( leave Newcastle 17-32 bound for Bournemouth, arrive in Southampton-1916 bound for the Somme : ) ).
The ups far outnumbered them, all in all a brilliant but exhausting day. The Good lady has just about recovered. She enjoyed her "matchday experiences" enough that we are now booked to go to Manchester for the City match, Christmas eve eve, what could possibly go wrong ? : )

Thanks for reading : )

great to hear you enjoyed your day, shame Cookie didn't score a bit earlier.
the Geordie are generally a great bunch.
Southampton obviously living up to its reputation !!!

You and the good lady don't half have a positive attitude to life table. I'd like to think that I would accept it with a smile on my face if I travelled for 21 hours only to miss the vital goal or, even worse, got stuck in Southampton for an hour.

Fair play to you.

Soton station is grim.

It looks like not a single penny more than was absolutely necessary was spent on it.

Which might explain why you couldn't spend a penny..

FairPlay to you mate,I know how hard it is to travel with a disabled person,that is a heck of a journey,it's such a shame that with all the millions coming into this club that they can't run a disabled friendly coach to EVERY away game regardless if they make money on it or not.

Your achievement in even considering such a trip is immense. But to have actually done it leaves the rest of our puny efforts to watch Boscombe well and truly in the shade.

Well done to you both and long may you be able to continue.

Nice report Table.

We too (well a few of us) are going to City away...think we need a badge of honour for the trip and the possible result!

Chartered planes for long trips like Newcastle would help ease the long travel.
Paid £126 for two adult return from Bristol with easy jet, surely with an international airport in Bournemouth it could be organised. Not sure what the take up would be, but if the pricing was competitive I'd imagine supporters would be all over it. Same could be done for Manchester and Liverpool.

Just a thought.

City away? Are tickets on sale? Hope they run travel for wheelchair users.

The club did try and get a minibus to Newcastle. I brought tickets just in case!

...glad you enjoyed the experience (apart from the Scum train station- you wouldn't believe it was 2017 there!)

Newcastle is a great city and have the most brilliant fans out of all away fans that I have come across in my footy watching time.

Thanks for the insight and hope that you bring us the winning touch at The Etihad!

Table, good report and thanks for sharing. Sorry about the downside at Southampton Central but I know that during the time of the current franchise the South Western Railway have plans to totally redevelope the station.

inncll - 11/11/2017 08:56

Table, good report and thanks for sharing. Sorry about the downside at Southampton Central but I know that during the time of the current franchise the South Western Railway have plans to totally redevelope the station.

I hope the flies in the Disabled loo aren't a protected species : )

Thanks for all the positive comments : )

Erik, I think you're efforts eclipses ours.

Rob, Man City tickets aren't on sale yet, we took a chance and booked the train ( I think we were still on a high after hitting the North and surviving ). The gamble with the club hoping to run a minibus is, the later they leave the decision the dearer the alternatives.

If the flights left and returned on the same day it would suit us but making the effort to get up there I can see people wanting to stay over and sample the "local hospitality ". : )

Ps I had hoped to update people on here during the day ( to save starting a separate thread) but the wifi wasn't much cop, I couldn't even stay connected long enough to pay Virgin for a day pass : )

;