4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 v Sheff Utd?

kirsikka

UTC Legend
With Lerma out of the equation that leaves a big dilemma for our next match. After that first half performance, the logical thing to do would be keep the same set-up but I'm not sure it will be nearly as effective without Lerma screening in front of the defence.

If King is back and considered fit to start then I don't think there will be any debate, Eddie will go 4-4-1-1 with him in for Lerma. If he isn't then it looks a straight choice between L Cook into the midfield with the same formation or Solanke into the more forward role.

Tough one to call. L Cook hasn't covered himself in glory but then has been played out of position a lot. Solanke's best performance for use was in his last league game but prior to that he was in danger of giving Chukki a good name.

I think I'd go the Lewis Cook option. As much as it's a shame to shift Billing around when he's started to look effective again, he seems to be the only option to fill in the Lerma role.

Before anyone suggests it, if Surman is dropped in there I think they'll just manouveur the ball around him and tear us apart. He simply doesn't have the mobility.

Cook can play the holding role. Thats where he played for England u17 etc wasn't it?

We need to go into both the next two games, with a mindset that a point is a good result. Ironically, I think we are more likely to nick a win that way, like Butnely did to us, and we did to Chelsea?

As you say if King is fit, straight in, but is it worth the risk, with a two week break to follow?

I’ll look beyond the thinking that it’s actually either a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1... ;)

If it’s Lewis Cook he needs to be deeper, he can’t be the box to box physical player that an on form Philip Billing can be. So I’d have him alongside Gosling for his worth ethic and legs with Billing box to box.

I’m not sure without Billing and Lerma that you can go with Solanke in the triangle and not lose the battle. Lewis Cook just doesn’t have the legs and physical attributes of Lerma.

I’ll look beyond the thinking that it’s actually either a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1... ;)

If it’s Lewis Cook he needs to be deeper, he can’t be the box to box physical player that an on form Philip Billing can be. So I’d have him alongside Gosling for his worth ethic and legs with Billing box to box.

I’m not sure without Billing and Lerma that you can go with Solanke in the triangle and not lose the battle. Lewis Cook just doesn’t have the legs and physical attributes of Lerma.
There was a subtle but important change to this triangle at the weekend, it was flipped. Earlier in the season it was 2 playing deeper with 1 cam, yesterday it was 1 cdm and two midfielders pushing further on. It really did make a huge difference. I’d break it up as little as possible, agree on just putting Cook in for Lerma at the point of the triangle. It is his natural position after all.

If King is fit I would play him wide right and have Harry playing where Billing did yesterday and Billing where Lerma was.

Reactions: key
...not sure about risking King in what will be physical encounter?

Ramsdale

Smith
Ake
Cook S
Rico

Wilson H
Gosling
Billing
Cook L
Fraser

Wilson C

subs: Boruc/Francis/Solanke/Stanislas/Simpson/Surman/Kilkenny

...not sure about risking King in what will be physical encounter?

Ramsdale

Smith
Ake
Cook S
Rico

Wilson H
Gosling
Billing
Cook L
Fraser

Wilson C

subs: Boruc/Francis/Solanke/Stanislas/Simpson/Surman/Kilkenny
Don't see Eddie dropping Franno. He keeps a winning side.

;