48 hours that will determine our season

Waz afcb

Fans' Favourite
Genuinely believe this will be the most important end to a transfer window in recent memory. Signing a number eight who can create and another genuine striking option to compete with Dom could very well be the difference between a mid table finish or a genuine push towards the top of the table.

Can we have a new glossary thread that describes what we expect from every No. ?

I keep hearing a No 8, but two of world footballs best No 8s were Gattuso and Desailly, or another two Socrates and Iniesta. Looking at the best examples during an era when players wore 1-11 doesn't conclude anything about number 8.

My point being that quoting these No. types is a typical use of jargon to make you sound knowledgeable, without actually communicating anything useful. Describing the attributes, general positioning, and contributions expected is a tad more meaningful, or at the very least a well known player of the past as example of the type.

Can we have a new glossary thread that describes what we expect from every No. ?

I keep hearing a No 8, but two of world footballs best No 8s were Gattuso and Desailly, or another two Socrates and Iniesta. Looking at the best examples during an era when players wore 1-11 doesn't conclude anything about number 8.

My point being that quoting these No. types is a typical use of jargon to make you sound knowledgeable, without actually communicating anything useful. Describing the attributes, general positioning, and contributions expected is a tad more meaningful, or at the very least a well known player of the past as example of the type.

Personally for me a number 8 is a box to box central midfielder. A player that has a licence to get forward but isn’t devolved of all responsibility defensively.

They need to be able to pick the ball up from the back four and drive it forward either with the ball at their feet or dictating the pace of the game by keeping the ball moving quickly.

They also need to track back and basically run themselves into the ground every game.

For England it’s a Lampard or a Gerrard, which was why they couldn’t partner together in a midfield two as one needed to be a 6 whilst the other was an 8…

In a midfield three you have the opportunity to play two 6’s and an 8, or even a 10 and no 8…or you can play one 6 and two 8’s or a 10, if your wingers are expected to be offering support to their full backs defensively rather than just wide forwards… :)

Last edited:
Personally for me a number 8 is a box to box central midfielder. A player that has a licence to get forward but isn’t devolved of all responsibility defensively.

They need to be able to pick the ball up from the back four and drive it forward either with the ball at their feet or dictating the pace of the game by keeping the ball moving quickly.

They also need to track back and basically run themselves into the ground every game.

For England it’s a Lampard or a Gerrard, which was why they couldn’t partner together in a midfield two as one needed to be a 6 whilst the other was an 8…

In a midfield three you have the opportunity to play two 6’s and an 8, or even a 10 and no 8…or you can play one 6 and two 8’s or a 10, if you’re wingers are expected to be offering support to their full backs defensively rather than just wide forwards… :)

I give you Harry Arter...

I’m going to complicate matters here but on the whole shirt number to describe a position thing. What is widely referred to as a “number 6” personally for me would be a number 4 as a number 6 was always a centre back. Hitting

" this will be the most important end to a transfer window in recent memory "

this depends on how long your memory is.........................selling Ted and buying Ian Gibson and Brian Clark still seems recent, but I can't remember if I have had my tablets today or not....:hmmm:.....

Selling Ted.

That broke my heart.

I know I was young, but why didn't I see it coming?

Ruined the rest of my life.

" this will be the most important end to a transfer window in recent memory "

this depends on how long your memory is.........................selling Ted and buying Ian Gibson and Brian Clark still seems recent, but I can't remember if I have had my tablets today or not....:hmmm:.....
Before my time.

No 8 was an ' inside right'...10 was _' inside left'..
11 ' left wing'....7 'right wing '.

Of course 9 was Centre forward.

Simplicity....and a player like Best didn't really need a number !

What have they done to our game ?

No 8 was an ' inside right'...10 was _' inside left'..
11 ' left wing'....7 'right wing '.

Of course 9 was Centre forward.

Simplicity....and a player like Best didn't really need a number !

What have they done to our game ?

I assume you mean Georgia Gold Clothbound Cheddar Best?

;