5 Live and Ian Wright

It works thanks, but must say it came to a sudden end when the bloke talking says some of the signings have been horrific.

"Transfer recruitment has been horrific ..." sums it up for me.
If you look at the last two games and count the amount of players still around from the glory days of the Championship just compounds this.
We are still reliant on senior players we were not spring chickens when we were promoted but who are now 5 years older and 5 years slower.
Whilst I'm not saying some of them don't be deserved to be picked we are still too reliant on "Dads Army".
Surman, Franno, Charlie D (undoubtedly would be picked if fit cos better than Rico), Gosling, Callum.
And three of the above have suffered a total of 4 ACL ruptures. Hardly gonna improve these players.
I'm not saying they can't offer anything to the side as Cook is one of the first names on the sheet, but as mentioned in the interview the side needs "freshening up" and for whatever reasons that has not happened with recruitment.
Transfer windows have been our undoing, and I also think the distractions of will they or won't they go rumours around Fraser and Callum and less so Ake have harmed the team spirit. Callum' England selection I think has given him an over inflated opinion of himself and Wee man clearly doesn't want to be here.
This time last year didn't those two top the partnership of goals and assists - we have seen non of that this year and midfield and striker replacements have not filled this gap ..... So Lanky and Harry.

Solanke and Billing have bombed but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t buy in this window. We must - cos our midfielders are short on quality and leadership, and without a change in the middle third we are surely down. We need a couple of players who can hold the ball and get their heads up. Too expensive? Too much of a gamble? Face the consequences of inaction - and it won’t be pretty.

Also hinted in the interview is of a freshening up at the club as a whole. Whilst I know about the players have any of the coaching staff changed in the last 5 years?

It was all going so well until Chris Sutton butted in.
Ian Wright is just as bad tbf.....I'm always amazed the he can name a player from outside the top six......have to laugh when one of these pundits discuss our transfer record....it always 'there was Jordon Ibe and Solanke and errr...errrm'....nope.
Had a listen to Charle Adams the other night btw....Jesus is he bitter towards Eddie.

No money from Max? ... what does the leave Eddie with? Midfield combos he’s tried a dozen times and with one exception (Chelsea) that clearly don’t work. No money?... prepare for an ugly run of games through to May. There’s never been a stronger case for new blood.

...i don't think that we have the money to spend unless we sell Ake.

What we have now in the squad is going to have to dig us out...

Injuries have hampered us from developing signings, Kelly hasn't had any time, Danjuma similarly, and just when Stacey and Mepham were benefiting from gametime they get injured!

Solanke, Billing and Rico have been average at best...

only Brooks, Lerma and Ramsdale have really shone over the last season and a half..

Fair enough Fraser is not settled here anymore and Callum Wilson seems to be going backwards..

The culmination of all this has hit us hard, and not forgetting injuries to Daniels, Stanislas and King on top of it all!

We haven't really brought any players through our own system like Simpson, Surridge, Kilkenny, and Dobre...to be able to throw them in now!

Big fails in Mahoney, Hyndman, and Defoe and Ibe?? (nuff said)

when you add this up it is amazing that we can string anything together!!!

Last edited:
...i don't think that we have the money to spend unless we sell Ake.

What we have now in the squad is going to have to dig us out...

Injuries have hampered us from developing signings, Kelly hasn't had any time, Danjuma similarly, and just when Stacey and Mepham were benefiting from gametime they get injured!

Solanke, Billing and Rico have been average at best...

only Lerma and Ramsdale have really shone over the last season and a half..

Fair enough Fraser is not settled here anymore and Callum Wilson seems to be going backwards..

The culmination of all this has hit us hard, and not forgetting injuries to Daniels, Stanislas and King on top of it all!

We haven't really brought any players through our own system like Simpson, Surridge, Kilkenny, and Dobre...to be able to throw them in now!

Big fails in Mahoney, Hyndman, and Defoe and Ibe?? (nuff said)

when you add this up it is amazing that we can string anything together!!!
Throw all this in the mix with some truly baffling tactics and team selection (from those available) and it's painstakingly obvious why we're struggling so badly

Ian Wright is just as bad tbf.....I'm always amazed the he can name a player from outside the top six......have to laugh when one of these pundits discuss our transfer record....it always 'there was Jordon Ibe and Solanke and errr...errrm'....nope.
Had a listen to Charle Adams the other night btw....Jesus is he bitter towards Eddie.

This is nearer the truth.....people saying how bad our transfer record is....then can name two players, signed a few seasons apart, as the main examples.

I can't see our transfer record is any worse or better than the vast majority of teams. But its an easy thing for media types who don't know us that well to trot out.

What was said more less describes the situation and virtually reflects things that have already been said on this forum...especially the Recruitment Fiasco ! Tbf to Wright..he didnt seem particularly pleased to be saying what he said!

Last edited:
Villa bring in Drinkwater and Reina. Norwich recruit Rupp from the Bundesliga. Now Watford sign a winger: SSN - “Watford have agreed a £6.8m fee with Udinese for winger Ignacio Pussetto.”.

Meanwhile at DC it’s a deafening silence. No stadium - and no recruits when the crisis hits? It would be a tragedy if our great run in the PL ended this way.

Very harsh, I think he's looked pretty good once he got into the swing of it with some regular starts
...okay maybe, but compare him to Daniels at his best and he would be average...especially when it comes to what is required from an attacking full back?

;