5 years ago today - Finale!

London Cherry

First Team
Well, I had to post another one of these posts for today didn’t I?! What a day in AFCB’s history!
Firstly, looking back, I was absolutely gutted I didn’t go. After it had been moved to a Monday (and having been to previous home games) I knew it would be tough to get down there after work and to leave my missus with our (then) 1 year old. Wish I’d gone! Who’d have known what would have transpired 2 days earlier. Win and we were up!!
I must say it was a nervous day teaching at my school. I’d gone in with my Bournemouth shirt on a full show but felt a mixture of nerves and excitement. As we kicked off we just needed an early goal I thought. Bolton keeper wasn’t up to much. Although he was and kept making save after save! The relief was palpable when first Pughie and then Ritchie hit the net.! We’re up surely at Half time?! But this is AFCB! We needed a third!! Callum, penalty! Yann the (oh dear!) Wanderers down to 10 though, we’re surely there!! Then I can only describe the aftermath of Callum’s goal as my screams and excitement of realising we were going up not only resulted in me almost passing out but the waking up our 1 year old up!! MrsLC wasn’t happy!! I was!!!! Jeff, novelty hats and Demin looking worse for wear followed! Did that really happen?!! Were we going up?!!! 5 years ago, wow!!!

Teaching from home my now 6 years old (and keeping in tow his 2 year old sister) is currently extremely tough so I look forward to hearing your stories of the magical day when AFCB joined the big boys!!

It was my wife’s 50th birthday on that day and we spent the day at wisely gardens (off the A3/m25 junction as we drove from our London home). Really surreal walking in the calmness of beautiful gardens but feeling really stressed about the night ahead, counting down the time. After the game, we left the ground really quickly and loved listening to the coverage on the radio as drove homework through lots of roadworks. Bizarrely, next day at work, I got a standing ovation from fellow football fans on the office when I walked in - as if I had anything to do with it!! There was a lot of affection for afcb then.

It was my wife’s 50th birthday on that day and we spent the day at wisely gardens (off the A3/m25 junction as we drove from our London home). Really surreal walking in the calmness of beautiful gardens but feeling really stressed about the night ahead, counting down the time. After the game, we left the ground really quickly and loved listening to the coverage on the radio as drove homework through lots of roadworks. Bizarrely, next day at work, I got a standing ovation from fellow football fans on the office when I walked in - as if I had anything to do with it!! There was a lot of affection for afcb then.
Wisley is near me (Walton) Whereabouts are you from?! Bet that was a long day?!!

Unable to get tickets for this game I watched it on TV with friends.(all crazy Cherries fans) After the dancing and crying had stopped I decided I was determined to get us Charlton tickets.(I had tried everything) Getting up at 4am Tuesday morning (still buzzing) I drove up to Charlton,I spent all morning in the Valley cafe chatting to the locals. By midafternoon a friendly local had got me 5 tickets, I got home at 8pm time well spent. Our dodgy tickets were in the stand next to our fans and as it turned out there was hundreds of us in there all sat on our hands. I still have the number of the friendly local so I can reciprocate the favour one day. Happy days.

Stayed in a hotel for the game, and my Dad booked in too so we could savour an incredible moment. I'd dreamed of seeing us in the top flight since the early Seventies when my Dad took me to my first game, but with the rise of the Prem and our history I'd given up hope of seeing it in my life time.

My Dad is now coming to less and less games, but we were able to share that.

Watched the game on my computer in a tent in Kenya, using a USB Wifi dongle. Our time was 2 hours ahead of the UK, I never slept the whole night.
Was it a dream !!!

I have got many different youtube clips of that night etc but the one media clip I wish I had was the BBC radio commentary, pretty sure it was Alan Green (who I don't really like that much). There was a moment, I think after the second goal, when in his inimitable voice he very loudly said "AFC Bournemouth, they're going to the Premier League" it sends a tingle down my spine and a tear to the eye even now.
Wonderful night. Middle of the second half my mate from Manchester (Utd season ticket holder) rang me at the ground and said "stop singing that f---ing MOTD tune!!!!!!!!
And we still had my birthday at Charlton to come :utc::guiness::cheers:

BBC 5 Live commentary was by Conor McNamara with Steve Claridge.

I still have them.. could do with uploading them somewhere, really. The match itself is about 133MB.
Wish I had the BBC Solent commentary though.

;