5 years ago today mark two

London Cherry

First Team
Ok, hands up, who thought we’d blown our chance of promotion when Adam Smith gave away that last minute penalty against Sheffield Wednesday, five years ago today?! Felt absolutely devastated on the way back to London (felt for my wife and 1 year old!) Little did we know we’d end up loving the men in blue and white come the end of the season!!

It felt like we'd finally ran out of steam. We'd not been playing well in the games leading up to this, but still somehow managed to keep winning. Then the pendulum swung back in our favour the next Saturday.

It felt like we'd finally ran out of steam. We'd not been playing well in the games leading up to this, but still somehow managed to keep winning. Then the pendulum swung back in our favour the next Saturday.

"We'd not been playing well in the games leading up to this, but still somehow managed to keep winning"

Really?

Not how I remember it. Think we went something like 13 games unbeaten, at the end of the season to seal the title.

You don't not play well to be on that sort of run & win league titles.

Not how I remember it. Think we went something like 13 games unbeaten, at the end of the season to seal the title.

I disagree. The mark of a truly great side is grinding out wins while not playing at 100%. That's exactly how Man U won all those titles. Watch the preceding games against Brighton and Reading back and you'll see what I mean- Brighton was an incredibly flat performance punctured by two moments of brilliance; Reading was 80-odd minutes of backs-to-the-wall defending.

I disagree. The mark of a truly great side is grinding out wins while not playing at 100%. That's exactly how Man U won all those titles. Watch the preceding games against Brighton and Reading back and you'll see what I mean- Brighton was an incredibly flat performance punctured by two moments of brilliance; Reading was 80-odd minutes of backs-to-the-wall defending.

We battered loads of teams in that run to the title. Five past Fulham, four past Blackpool and Birmingham, three past title rivals Middlesbrough and also Bolton and Charlton. We were brilliant.

Well there may have been a few jitters in the run in, but quite possibly more amongst supporters than in the team. hard fought wins at old rivals Brighton and reading were just that - hard fought. But we also had a real battle at Ipswich on the Good Friday. It wasn' all jitters though - in that 13 match unbeaten run we also walloped Middlesboro 3-0, won at Fulham 5-1 and beat Blackpool 4-0..
even the dropped 2 points against Sheff Wed was a good result really as we only had 10 men.

While I was gutted after the high of that goal and then low of conceding the penalty, the way the season ended was just perfect and I wouldn't change a thing of it for the world.
Completely agree! It was an amazing conclusion! The ups and downs only make it that extra bit special!! Still will always remember the numb feeling of the penalty being awarded though!!

;