60 MPH winds - game off?

I did hear of a game last Sunday (can't remember where) when the ref abandoned the game after a goal kick landed 20 yards behind the goal line from which it was taken!

I remember the Hartlepool game (on TV) in a screaming SE'ly gale when they were kicking towards the North Stand in the first half, and their main tactic in that half was to kick for touch close to our corner flag knowing we'd have difficulty getting any kind of distance on our throws...

Looks like Saturday's high winds will be blowing more or less straight across the pitch.

Just got back from walking the dog and he loves a good windy day, gets the squirrel scent up his nose !!!!!!
Been waiting for a week to put some new fence panels in, if I try today I think I will take off with them

I remember my glory Sunday League days....and always thinking that a strong wind would ruin a game of football more than pretty much any other weather conditions!

I did hear of a game last Sunday (can't remember where) when the ref abandoned the game after a goal kick landed 20 yards behind the goal line from which it was taken!

I remember the Hartlepool game (on TV) in a screaming SE'ly gale when they were kicking towards the North Stand in the first half, and their main tactic in that half was to kick for touch close to our corner flag knowing we'd have difficulty getting any kind of distance on our throws...

Looks like Saturday's high winds will be blowing more or less straight across the pitch.
Goal kicks like that used to happen with those 99p footballs you could buy at garages ........

I remember a game in a gale against East Cowes Vics who play at Whippingham on the top above the River Medina which is pretty exposed. The wind was howling straight across the pitch. It was so strong it was even breezy in the dressing room.
Midway through the second half we had a corner on the left and our winger drove it powerfully into the wind where it reached the penalty spot but nobody could get a head on it before the wind caught the ball and it finally sailed out of play over the touch line at the half way line on the same side that the corner had been taken.
The match ended 0-0 as nobody could manage to do anything with the ball well enough to get it any where near the goals and most of the game was spent along the one touch line.

;