60 MPH winds - game off?

The Plymouth away game in the first Great Escape Season was interesting.
AFCB played with the wind in the first half, peppered their goal with shots, and finally scored in time added on at the end of the half, through Michael Mcelhatton.
How our defence survived the onslaught in the second half I still don't know!
I remember Ian Andrews making a brilliant save in the final seconds - and I think he hadn't trained that week because of the flu! Brilliant 1-0 away win!

I once drove all the way to Swindon only to find that the game had been cancelled due to high winds. Apparently - this is true - they thought that the main stand might blow down. Must have been late 80s/early 90s ?

AFCB played with the wind in the first half, peppered their goal with shots, and finally scored in time added on at the end of the half, through Michael Mcelhatton.
I remember Ian Andrews making a brilliant save in the final seconds - and I think he hadn't trained that week because of the flu! Brilliant 1-0 away win!
That was the day (We) Nothe8502 FC played against a Plymouth supporters team...bitterly cold day, played on astroturf and then frozen hands on the barriers at Home Park....but a great win of Mcelhattons knee I think!

I once drove all the way to Swindon only to find that the game had been cancelled due to high winds. Apparently - this is true - they thought that the main stand might blow down. Must have been late 80s/early 90s ?
I was there...game did go ahead without the Main Stand being used. Chicken George Lawrence ran Swindon ragged.....Honestly!!!!

My wife got blown off her feet this morning down in Paignton. She's quite a big lass and it was really bad. Car sailed home to Bournemouth with the wind behind us, strong enough to push car well over the 70 limit on the A30 out of Exeter.

Didn't we have a another match of a similar nature against Plymouth at Dean Court? I think it was the year they were promoted and I think it was on a boxing day. The wind caught the shot the ball blew back to Plymouth and they scored, having a senior moment here.

Didn't we have a another match of a similar nature against Plymouth at Dean Court? I think it was the year they were promoted and I think it was on a boxing day. The wind caught the shot the ball blew back to Plymouth and they scored, having a senior moment here.
I'm exactly the same. Remember the weather being an absolute shocker but not much else apart from it being Plymouth.

Me too.

Down from London in a van with no radio.

Grrrrrrr.............................................

I'm exactly the same. Remember the weather being an absolute shocker but not much else apart from it being Plymouth.

Boxing Day 2003.
Long range shot from Plymouth hit the bar, drifted slightly behind the line high in the air, came back in again, landed on the pitch a few feet from the goal line, and then bounced into the roof of the net as it had about 10,000 revs on it when it hit the ground!
Not a great moment for Neil Moss, but in hindsight you can't really blame him.

That was the day (We) Nothe8502 FC played against a Plymouth supporters team...bitterly cold day, played on astroturf and then frozen hands on the barriers at Home Park....but a great win of Mcelhattons knee I think!

I remember playing at Plymouth on a sandy astroturf pitch, but can't remember anything about the game in the afternoon.
After a game I always was meticulous with plenty of "fluid repleneshment" so that could be why. :whist:

I was there...game did go ahead without the Main Stand being used. Chicken George Lawrence ran Swindon ragged.....Honestly!!!!
Sorry you must be confusing it with another.

Game was definitely called off - it was played in December.

How do I remember - simple I was up in London for the weekend, we were just about to set off when the postponement came on the radio.

So we diverted to an FA Cup qualifying game at Staines, thought it would be a nice relaxing alternative.

Oh no, not at all they were playing Yeovil. To say it all kicked off would be an understatement. Before, during and after the game. Best not say too much more except there were a couple of Yeovil hoolies with very sore heads the next day.

It was the old Shrivvy Road stand that was suspect.

Boxing Day 2003.
Long range shot from Plymouth hit the bar, drifted slightly behind the line high in the air, came back in again, landed on the pitch a few feet from the goal line, and then bounced into the roof of the net as it had about 10,000 revs on it when it hit the ground!
Not a great moment for Neil Moss, but in hindsight you can't really blame him.
Thanks Jim. It's all coming back to me now. Yes Mossy in goal but as you say not really at fault.

I remember playing at Plymouth on a sandy astroturf pitch, but can't remember anything about the game in the afternoon.
After a game I always was meticulous with plenty of "fluid repleneshment" so that could be why. :whist:
Very true....maybe the fluid intake prior to matches was our downfall!! Happy days

;