A Californian View

Neil Dawson

UTC Legend
Brent Goulets not posted tonight with his alternative view but as I am in his homeland I thought I would. I’ve just read all this for 45 mins having got back in while you lot are all fast asleep dreaming of how to get to Derby’s ground again. Some over-reaction here that is hard to read. Eddie may be flawed and stubborn as a mule but he is our flawed stubborn mule. He dragged us out of despair and we owe him at least one bad season. Calling for his head after what he has done for us is plain wrong.

People are writing about Francis like he brought himself on. He has played outstandingly for this club, played through injuries and been with us on every step of the journey. He didn’t actually play badly either, I didn’t understand why he came on without a formation change but no point in blaming him for that, he also deserves more respect. He isn’t going to get better at his age, only a slow decline but some of the comments on here people wouldn’t say to his face.

We have been here before as well a few times; people saying we haven’t shows the amount of recent fans we have. It even happenned at the most crucial time of our best ever season in the Championship. In our first season up, when we had a horrific run, it all came together when Eddie switched to King up front on his own and a five man midfield with Gosling coming in and stopped the full backs barrelling forwards. Im hoping he is remembering this tonight! ;)

We have to remember we are not a normal club. We are too much built on one dynasty. We haven’t had a revolving door of managers and players used to changing style at the swing of a door. Changing anything here would be the mother of all risks and like all dynasties, while it may fall one day people will only remember that the trains used to run on time and there was no litter in the street. Better the devil you know for sure for me.

So, where from here. Well, if I know one thing from watching Eddie it is that he persists with things that don’t work three or four games longer than he should but there is normally a seminal moment. It sounds like that seminal moment has been reached from reading comments on the interview. His issue is that he has two more games that have zero points written all over them, but that’s no bad thing as the pressure is off and we are better at the moment when teams attack us. That gives him two games to get something right before Burnley, Brighton etc. I am sure he will make changes now.

My own view on what he should do is well documented and bores me so I’m sure it bores you lot. Forget that for a moment though, I don’t care what formation he plays or who plays in it primarily. First and foremost I’d love him to go back to what he does best... going at teams with crazy overloads and dealing with the consequences afterwards. I am sure we will get dicked from time to time but we will polish off the lower sides like we used to with glee. If we are going to go down, and i don’t think we will, let’s go down fighting and thrilling. It’s only a game... let’s enjoy playing it like we used to. Some clubs need to fear relegation because of their history and infrastructure. We don’t.... let’s remember who we are and how we got here.

So, I hope Eddie in his reflection period thinks backwards not forwards.

We all need to remember he needs us more than ever. If you found a partner at 22 who rescued you from a life threatening situation, straightened you out and gave you the unimaginably best years of your life, children, holidays, a lovely house... say that person got themselves into a slight rut, put on weight, went off sex... you would repay the favour and give them more love than ever before. That’s our role now. Let’s not be the internet equivalent of the seedy middle aged person who has ditched that partner and is standing in too tight diesel jeans in a night club mouthing the wrong lyrics of AJ Tracey to a 24 year old who just wants free booze.

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more, but you probably know that already. Such an intelligent and balanced post. And to continue the analogy of the long term partner, we should be thinking about how we can show our long term partner some love. That day should be Saturday. Let’s show him we are behind him more than ever.

Wise words Neil, twelfth in the Premiership and some are calling for Eddie head.............FFS, you entitled *****.

Players out of form, injuries & bad signings are all part of a football club, but would anyone want a Pulis or Allardyce brought in just to try and stay the the PL……

There are only two reasons we are discussing losing to a PL club, and if they left we really are in the crap

Anyway, a good old relegating fight is much more interesting that staying in mid table…...UTCIAD

This division was always going to be a challenge in terms of changing the team. The promotion team lasted longer than anyone anticipated. Last season and this are rebuilds.

We will never recapture the speed and skill that got us here. That was unique. Cast offs and never had beens coming together. They had the impossible to aim for and achieved it.

Change was unavoidable. But buying players that could attack with pace in this division in the same way we did before is not possible. Not without huge money signings.

In the championship we signed Surman and Harte. Both had championship experience and they steadied the side. These are young players still coming together. Unlike previously they all have more money than any of is could dream of. How many of them have ever been in a situation where they have triumphed over adversity? It will be interesting to see who will dig in and fight for the team and the club and who will wither, fade and want out.

We need character more than ever. We need a reaction.

utciad

Agree 100%. Deserves a chance to turn it around. To be honest a proper relegation fight might be the shock he and some of these players need. To be honest, lose Eddie and we probably lose Josh, Ake, Brooks....potentially others. He is still the right guy to get the most out of these players.

This division was always going to be a challenge in terms of changing the team. The promotion team lasted longer than anyone anticipated. Last season and this are rebuilds.

We will never recapture the speed and skill that got us here. That was unique. Cast offs and never had beens coming together. They had the impossible to aim for and achieved it.

Change was unavoidable. But buying players that could attack with pace in this division in the same way we did before is not possible. Not without huge money signings.

In the championship we signed Surman and Harte. Both had championship experience and they steadied the side. These are young players still coming together. Unlike previously they all have more money than any of is could dream of. How many of them have ever been in a situation where they have triumphed over adversity? It will be interesting to see who will dig in and fight for the team and the club and who will wither, fade and want out.

We need character more than ever. We need a reaction.

utciad

Super post.

The promotion winning team was built in the main on a squad that had come through some adversity under Groves. Turned themselves from relegation fodder in League One to near champions in six months.

Then suffered periods of lost form in the Championship, some heavy defeats and reacted as Champions.

Then in the Premier League, heavy defeats, media criticism and scrutiny like never before, periods of loss form and yet record high finishes, record goal scoring tallies, best club on the south coast for two seasons running.

This new side, full of youth and potential but lacking in enthusiasm and confidence and spirit.

The manager has proven himself time and time again under these scenarios it’s now time for the players to take some responsibility and show they are a match mentally for the players that got the club there.

Brent Goulets not posted tonight with his alternative view but as I am in his homeland I thought I would. I’ve just read all this for 45 mins having got back in while you lot are all fast asleep dreaming of how to get to Derby’s ground again. Some over-reaction here that is hard to read. Eddie may be flawed and stubborn as a mule but he is our flawed stubborn mule. He dragged us out of despair and we owe him at least one bad season. Calling for his head after what he has done for us is plain wrong.

People are writing about Francis like he brought himself on. He has played outstandingly for this club, played through injuries and been with us on every step of the journey. He didn’t actually play badly either, I didn’t understand why he came on without a formation change but no point in blaming him for that, he also deserves more respect. He isn’t going to get better at his age, only a slow decline but some of the comments on here people wouldn’t say to his face.

We have been here before as well a few times; people saying we haven’t shows the amount of recent fans we have. It even happenned at the most crucial time of our best ever season in the Championship. In our first season up, when we had a horrific run, it all came together when Eddie switched to King up front on his own and a five man midfield with Gosling coming in and stopped the full backs barrelling forwards. Im hoping he is remembering this tonight! ;)

We have to remember we are not a normal club. We are too much built on one dynasty. We haven’t had a revolving door of managers and players used to changing style at the swing of a door. Changing anything here would be the mother of all risks and like all dynasties, while it may fall one day people will only remember that the trains used to run on time and there was no litter in the street. Better the devil you know for sure for me.

So, where from here. Well, if I know one thing from watching Eddie it is that he persists with things that don’t work three or four games longer than he should but there is normally a seminal moment. It sounds like that seminal moment has been reached from reading comments on the interview. His issue is that he has two more games that have zero points written all over them, but that’s no bad thing as the pressure is off and we are better at the moment when teams attack us. That gives him two games to get something right before Burnley, Brighton etc. I am sure he will make changes now.

My own view on what he should do is well documented and bores me so I’m sure it bores you lot. Forget that for a moment though, I don’t care what formation he plays or who plays in it primarily. First and foremost I’d love him to go back to what he does best... going at teams with crazy overloads and dealing with the consequences afterwards. I am sure we will get dicked from time to time but we will polish off the lower sides like we used to with glee. If we are going to go down, and i don’t think we will, let’s go down fighting and thrilling. It’s only a game... let’s enjoy playing it like we used to. Some clubs need to fear relegation because of their history and infrastructure. We don’t.... let’s remember who we are and how we got here.

We all need to remember he needs us more than ever. If you found a partner at 22 who rescued you from a life threatening situation, straightened you out and gave you the unimaginably best years of your life, children, holidays, a lovely house... say that person got themselves into a slight rut, put on weight, went off sex... you would repay the favour and give them more love than ever before. That’s our role now. Let’s not be the internet equivalent of the seedy middle aged person who has ditched that partner and is standing in too tight diesel jeans in a night club mouthing the wrong lyrics of AJ Tracey to a 24 year old who just wants free booze.

Top post Neil, it really is. I posted something similar on Facebook last night, but not in as much detail.

My main concern at the moment is the complete lack of identity in the team. When we have had our 'horrendous run of form' in previous seasons, we have still had an identity, but we are going through games at the moment where we are barely creating any goal scoring opportunities.

Your point about Francis is also spot on, I love the guy and the contribution he has made to this club, but even for stubborn Eddie, he has to see that he is not the answer at this level. To bring him in and switch Adam Smith to LB last night was pure nonsense.

On Saturday along with the known injuries we will be with out Harry Wilson and potentially Adam Smith. I am really concerned if Smith is unfit is that Francis lines up instead of Stacey - especially as his direct opponent is likely to be Sadio Mane. Please Eddie swallow your pride on this one.

I certainly don't always agree with your posts Mr ND but I do agree 100% with this one.
There must have been an awful lot of washing of bed sheets this morning amongst our fan base. Some of the stuff last night was quite pathetic.
Anyway, enjoy California - don't know which part you are in but the mountains have just had a hell of a lot of snow.

7,700+ posts on formation change and then you come up with that!......:clap:......you are my new hero..... honesty...:grinning:

Neil, congratulations on a fantastic post. I was conflicted about last night. We were atrocious and looked for all the world like a team hoping to get away with a 0-0 against ten men. From my limited knowledge I thought Lewis Cook should have come on immediately their player got sent off and we should have gone to a back three.

We didn't, and our build up play, when it wasn't sloppy, was turgid. Our midfield looked dreadful, and we didn't seem to show any creativity up front. You kind of knew what was coming.

But, but but... I agree with you re Eddie. He has taken this club from nowhere to the Premier League. Yes, with Max's help, but look what happened when he left. Calling for him to go now is just pathetic.

And ever the masochist, I've just got my tickets for West Ham away.

Just a reminder 24 months ago on 27th December 2017 we were in the bottom three with 17 points after a similar run. That was after 20 games, we sit 12th today on 16 points after 15 games.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...eek-20-scores-table-and-top-wednesday-scorers

Now if I recall we went through the same process on here back then of beating each other up, questioning the manager, questioning the players, transfer policy etc. This season its happening earlier, I guess because expectations are higher.

We blamed that 2017 run on Injuries. Lets be honest last nights bench looked pretty tepid. One thing's becoming absolutely clear is that we lack any sort of attacking Intent without King, any sort of midfield Invention without Brooks, or even Stan. H Wilson and Danjuma are still a work in progress (only 5 months PL experience), you could argue Dom is. L Cook is turning into an enigma, is Eddie still wrapping that cotton wool around him or is he not quite there from the Injury, hopefully the latter or perhaps a bit of both.

The change needs to come from within as it has done before. It could be the return of King or Stan or L cook kicking on or Eddie taking the brave pill and Introducing Kilkenny at some point.

Keep the faith ( hard to say after last night I know )

Great post Neil... I try very hard not to post anything immediately after a game, especially a game like last night when the tendency is to just rant, however, still this morning, it is hard to defend last night's performance, and that is everyone's performance... Eddie's, Jason's, the team's... everyone...!!!

However, despite everything, to ask for Eddie to move on is still a ridiculous idea... Even if we got relegated this season, there is no one else I would want at the helm to steady us again and keep us going...

Again, I can never defend last night's efforts, but I posted a few days ago on the fact we are operating on fine margins, and these margins have to include missing players. Players that we've seen can 'make a difference'... Would Callum still be being 'played into form' if King was fit... Would Fraser still be being 'played into form' if Brooks was fit... S.Cook missing was just HUGE.

I think last night Eddie showed the World that he has at last realised something is wrong, and by wrong, I mean it has got to change... He can't just keep going on like this, in the hope the players will finally sort their sh*t out... Be that formation change... Style change... personnel change... who knows... But I don't think it is just us that is hearing "That was not the Bournemouth we know, and love to watch"... The harsh fact is, we are dire to watch at the moment and that will hurt Eddie just as much as not winning...

Still looking forward to Saturday and stupidly thinking we might see a huge reaction to last night, and the culmination of almost 12 month's of below par performances...

;