A managerial stepping stone...

afcb_rednblack

UTC Legend
...is how we’re seen by Wenger:

"But it's a good club, Bournemouth. A good test as well for somebody.
"They have good players, they work well, so I think it's a great platform for a young manager to show that he can do it in England and after go to the Premier League."

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/s...ger-discusses-thierry-henry-cherries-reports/

This would be my concern if we elect to go for a name, whereas we need a period of stability again. Someone who will be sufficiently committed to achieving success and remaining beyond that.

Well...wily ol Wenger can go shaft himself...Boscombe are here for Boscombe...not for Any aspiring spunker ...to play Rookie !

How does he know we are a 'good club'...patronising prat.. I always held him in high regard....until he poked his nose in.

Saw it with lampard - a decent season then off.

if you appoint someone like Chris Hughton you know what you get but vierra, Henry or terry are total unknowns so handing over our best chance of prem to them is a risk too far imho.

would give woodgate the next 2 games before making a decision

So what if we're a stepping stone? Surely in order for us to have worked as a stepping stone it would mean some success will have transpired?
I'd take Henry coming here and having 2 successful seasons before pi55ing off to a - in his mind - 'bigger job'.

We're not going to get another Eddie. From here on in it'll just be a series of people who won't have an already established love for the club. So fu*k it... don't care if you love us, just don't be s**t.

Am I missing something?

So what if we're a stepping stone? Surely in order for us to have worked as a stepping stone it would mean some success will have transpired?
I'd take Henry coming here and having 2 successful seasons before pi55ing off to a - in his mind - 'bigger job'.

We're not going to get another Eddie. From here on in it'll just be a series of people who won't have an already established love for the club. So fu*k it... don't care if you love us, just don't be s**t.

Am I missing something?
Success could be seen as getting into the top two from where we sit currently and then narrowly missing out on promotion at the end by dropping to third; then missing out again in the playoffs. Only for the manager to then take an opportunity in the PL having seemingly achieved some success with us leaving us to start the managerial search all over again.

The clubs that are more successful seem to me to be those who have managerial stability and longevity.

As for Thierry coming to us for two seasons, his track record would suggest he’d unlikely last that long.

Am I missing something?
Agreed. We need to accept that the next manager(s) will almost certainly not give a toss about our football club and will only see it as their current job.
The era of Eddie and Jason was exceptional and not the norm at all.
Now managers must be viewed as players. They are here now and if they get a better offer elsewhere it is unlikely that currently being part of "our club" will be very high on their list of deciding factors. We need to get used to this new era, nothing will be as it has been for so long. But that really just puts us on par with about 90% of other football clubs, so we should just learn to roll with it.

As you say, my main requirement of any future AFCB manager is just "don't be crap" and "try to play entertaining football".

Am I missing something?

Only that Eddie was/is also fiercely ambitious. It was just fortunate for everyone he was able to express that ambition with us. After a spell at Burnley.

I'd want a manager to desire to manage at the highest level just like I'd want a player to want to be in the Premier League/Champions League. All I ask is that they don't throw the club under the bus when drawing a salary from us.

Well I hope our behind the scenes mob..led by Mostyn can very soon either delegate the full managerial side to Woody or revert him to Coach and get a 'manager ' in...because if Woody is only Coach 'acting' as Interim Manager, then in reality Mostyn and Co are the Management in everything but training and picking the team..so they need to plonk their manbags in the middle of the room...dance around them and get working on a solution.

Last edited:
Seems strange that the ' fiercely ambitious'.
Eddie is stranded in No Mans Land at present...OK he needed a rest I guess.
But there is such an element of being comfortable in the right surroundings.
Someone like Clough for example was only really happy in the North...not at Brighton..he was a disaster there.
There are so many aspects to things working out right for all managers.

Last edited:
Well I hope our behind the scenes mob..led by Mostyn can very soon either delegate the managerial side to Woody or revert him to Coach and get a 'manager ' in...because if Woody is only Coach 'acting' as Interim Manager, then in reality Mostyn and Co are the Management in everything but training and picking the team..so they need to plonk their manbags in the middle of the room...dance around them and get working on a solution.
What makes you think Mostyn has any say ?

On balance I would prefer a manager who will stay with us if we were to get back to the premier league so we benefit from the kind of continuity we had with Eddie, and dare I say it Burnley have with Dyche.

This means we need someone who is unlikely to appeal to the bigger clubs and who is happy to stay and try to build something. Wagner fits this profile as I believe does Pearson. Henry and Viera have the 'pedigree' that would appeal to bigger clubs and a bit of success with us would soon see them leave and finding a suitable replacement would not be easy.

Mind you being in the premier league needing to recruit a new manager is still better than being in the championship needing to recruit a new manager so it wouldn't exactly be a disaster.

At the end of the day the best appointment for us will be whoever can gets us promoted regardless of whether they stick around for the long term or not!

you are fine form this morning brian - I'm concerned you have peaked, and may not make midday! wots for breakfast in the brian household?

No ..I never peak..
I just get rushes of sh*t to the brain..but safe in the knowledge that some other brains on the Forum can't keep pace .
Banana Toast Sandwich today..ran out of porridge! Have to try Prawn Sarnies...then I might be able to better oscillate with the Elite posters!

On balance I would prefer a manager who will stay with us if we were to get back to the premier league so we benefit from the kind of continuity we had with Eddie, and dare I say it Burnley have with Dyche.

This means we need someone who is unlikely to appeal to the bigger clubs and who is happy to stay and try to build something. Wagner fits this profile as I believe does Pearson. Henry and Viera have the 'pedigree' that would appeal to bigger clubs and a bit of success with us would soon see them leave and finding a suitable replacement would not be easy.

Mind you being in the premier league needing to recruit a new manager is still better than being in the championship needing to recruit a new manager so it wouldn't exactly be a disaster.

At the end of the day the best appointment for us will be whoever can gets us promoted regardless of whether they stick around for the long term or not!
I agree. Appointing Wagner or Pearson would indicate that the club have a medium term project. I think these two would be given time to stabilise and improve us and would probably be happy to stay here should they be successful in that.

Appointing Vieira or Henry will just be a "look at us, getting big names in to manage us !" sort of move, more than likely to be swiftly followed by another visit to the failed/wannabe manager merry-go-round. I think it will be short-term and expensive. I really don't see the point.

;