Adam Smith

Does that mean back in training in 3 months? Can never decipher what that actually means. Also as it says “up to” 3 months we might not need to get cover in Jan.

Does that mean back in training in 3 months? Can never decipher what that actually means. Also as it says “up to” 3 months we might not need to get cover in Jan.
I always read that as back fit to play in 3mths. As regards cover, may make EH think how short we are there with Franno as the only 'proper' right back. Guess Fraser or Pugh (at a push) could do a job but neither are long term options.

I guess it comes down to what's out there on the market.

If there's a right back knocking around available to start talks with now, either on loan or cheap, able to confirm early in Jan - then great. If we have to spend all of Jan hunting around, then by the time the deadline comes around it might not be worth it.

Or we could go looking for what I assume is a planned long term right back signing, only try to bring it forward to Jan instead of summer 2019 when we usually do our big buys.

Worst comes to worst Eddie has to get Wee Man or Lerma to do a job there when Franno inevitably needs a breather. But knowing Smith is likely to be back for the final run in means there's less pressure to go out and buy.

I'd say that is really good news ! I'm really pleased for Adam, I think he probably presumed that was his season done. Let's hope he is well looked after and the recovery time given proves to be accurate. It would be great to have him back and firing on all cylinders for the run in. Get well soon Adam and don't rush things !
:utc:

I guess it comes down to what's out there on the market.

If there's a right back knocking around available to start talks with now, either on loan or cheap, able to confirm early in Jan - then great. If we have to spend all of Jan hunting around, then by the time the deadline comes around it might not be worth it.

Or we could go looking for what I assume is a planned long term right back signing, only try to bring it forward to Jan instead of summer 2019 when we usually do our big buys.

Worst comes to worst Eddie has to get Wee Man or Lerma to do a job there when Franno inevitably needs a breather. But knowing Smith is likely to be back for the final run in means there's less pressure to go out and buy.

In my opinion we should be buying someone to compete for a first choice right back spot - we should have done this anyway like we did on the left.

Never sign back-ups if you can help it - always try and improve. If the guy with the shirt keeps his spot, like Daniels has done so many time, then good for him.

You are right though - it depends on what is available.

In my opinion we should be buying someone to compete for a first choice right back spot - we should have done this anyway like we did on the left.

Never sign back-ups if you can help it - always try and improve. If the guy with the shirt keeps his spot, like Daniels has done so many time, then good for him.

You are right though - it depends on what is available.

Completely agree, hence me mentioning Connor Roberts the other day, he's four years younger, playing for Wales and Swansea week in week out and with Wales forming a partnership with David Brooks. Get that lad in, if Smith can push him out of the side when fit again then brilliant, if not, then also brilliant. Look at how many times Daniels has had signings made and he's just raised game to not let them in. That's the sense of competition we need, in every position. No point signing backups, sign to improve the position

I've seen great things from Charlie Seaman, and hopefully he continues to progress, but I think to throw him in now will either make or break him, and worry it might be the latter. Let him progress, grow, get out on loan and learn the game. Smith is 27, Roberts 23, and Seaman 19, getting Connor in doesn't close a door on Seaman, it just shows a progression, and hopefully Seaman will be champing at the bit of whoever is playing right back in a couple of years

Also, gutted for Smith, but relieved it's not as bad as first feared, though for him it likely seems a big mountain ahead of him

Three months until he can run about like a normal bloke, i.e. return to training, I would imagine. Nobody can know how many weeks after that he will need to be considered match fit. So training again in March if all goes well I reckon.

I think this earlier than expected return means we won't get any unplanned signing in come January. If there was a move already planned for a RB then it could happen but I don't think the injury now changes the plans. Should Smith have been ruled out for the season then there may have been a rethink.

Depending on how the relative season's progress for us and Brentford I wouldn't be surprised if we tried to go big on Mepham in January. If nothing else, it would completely remove Francis from needing to be considered as a CB option for the rest of the season.

Regarding the 3 months until training or three months until training, the physio that they go through nowadays to strengthen and stabilise while they heal as far superior to in years gone by. Players will lose sharpness and maybe not trust their joints, but fitness wise should come back in similar state to wehn they were injured. So if they say 3 months, then I'd expect (all going well) him to be competing for a starting spot in three months (ever the optimist)

;