Adios Rico?

OBX

New Signing
Do those La Liga clubs have the money to tempt AFCB? With the numbers that have flown around this summer, I didn't know if La Liga could even play in that sandbox.

Would please a few on here if true, with Kelly, Smith and Daniels all able to play on the left could it be a possibility?
Let this link please those who don’t understand. I’d like to think the decision makers at our club would have seen the stats from Saturday showing how effective he was defensively and the continuation of his pre season form.

SlowDownDerek

Fans' Favourite
I don't want to sell the bloke but he was crap on Saturday. It doesn't matter how good you are defensively if you can't pass and don't pick up the right position to cause trouble offensively. Especially in our team. Perhaps all the players that were having a go at him throughout the game also fall into the "people who don't understand" category too.

It looks like there's a player in there but he's got to be better than that performance.

AFCBade

Fans' Favourite
I don't want to sell the bloke but he was crap on Saturday. It doesn't matter how good you are defensively if you can't pass and don't pick up the right position to cause trouble offensively. Especially in our team. Perhaps all the players that were having a go at him throughout the game also fall into the "people who don't understand" category too.

It looks like there's a player in there but he's got to be better than that performance.
Why is the debate so binary? He wasn’t crap. He was poor offensively but it hardly helps that when Fraser switches wings it left a huge gap between fullback and sadly too static king/Wilson. He can pass the ball as the neat corner routine first half showed (but billing shot like an over-excited 14 year old) and similarly fantastic accurate cross field ball second half.

He had a poor season last season so maybe he is over concentrating on defence given his lack of confidence? If so, I would rather have smith left back with Stacey right, especially in a back 3 with wing backs.

Finally he wasn’t more crap than king Fraser or Wilson. I bet he would have had a better chance of scoring than Fraser with that late free kick.

SlowDownDerek

Fans' Favourite
Why is the debate so binary? He wasn’t crap. He was poor offensively but it hardly helps that when Fraser switches wings it left a huge gap between fullback and sadly too static king/Wilson. He can pass the ball as the neat corner routine first half showed (but billing shot like an over-excited 14 year old) and similarly fantastic accurate cross field ball second half.

He had a poor season last season so maybe he is over concentrating on defence given his lack of confidence? If so, I would rather have smith left back with Stacey right, especially in a back 3 with wing backs.
I thought he was crap because it was the basics that he was struggling with. Passing and positioning. He looked shot of confidence and his passes, at least in the first half when he was on my side, were rushed and 'hit and hope' type balls. No surprises that half of them went to the opposition.

Especially in our team.
What exactly is our team. We are no longer the expansive team that got promoted. We are in fact one of the most defensive sides in the league. Our full backs no longer attack. None of our midfielders are allowed in the box. While we keep playing this way, we may as well play defenders who can defend. It’s not as if Smith or Daniels have offered much going forward in the past 12 months either.

SlowDownDerek

Fans' Favourite
What exactly is our team. We are no longer the expansive team that got promoted. We are in fact one of the most defensive sides in the league. Our full backs no longer attack. None of our midfielders are allowed in the box. While we keep playing this way, we may as well play defenders who can defend. It’s not as if Smith or Daniels have offered much going forward in the past 12 months either.
Of course our full backs have to attack. Even if they don't, our wing backs definitely have to attack.

Full back is one position that he's never been able to recruit successful in. They've all failed so far so Rico shouldn't beat himself up too much about it.

But some of our best football last year was when they didn’t attack. We absorb pressure and we countered with breathtaking efficiency.

Of course you are correct we need full backs to attack. We can’t keep thinking we will get away with our counter attack strategy. We pretty much got found out late last season.

As it happens I think with 2 defensive midfielders, defensive full backs and with the dreaded 4-4-2, we are favourites to beat an over excited Villa. The key will be not thinking we’ve cracked it after our win on Saturday the same way (myself included) we are doom and gloom after last Saturday.

drd

First Team
And yet we scored more goals than anyone outside the top 6

Perhaps all the players that were having a go at him throughout the game also fall into the "people who don't understand" category too.
No, they're just being arseholes.

In any football team at whatever level, when things aren't going right you pick on the 'weakest' player.

Trust me on this one.

I am Rico.

The bloke needs time and confidence.

JIMNNINA

Fans' Favourite

Rico went wide in space, the ball was passed across the back 3 then when rico was more closely marked he was the token forward pass which he then had to pass backwards to keep possession. Ake seemed more agitated by the lack of movement of the front players than by rico.

The tactics and lack of substitutes were more of a concern, lack of goals in home matches is becoming a bad habit.