Adios Rico?

Rico went wide in space, the ball was passed across the back 3 then when rico was more closely marked he was the token forward pass which he then had to pass backwards to keep possession. Ake seemed more agitated by the lack of movement of the front players than by rico.

The tactics and lack of substitutes were more of a concern, lack of goals in home matches is becoming a bad habit.
Don't necessarily disagree with this. I'm not saying Rico is a write off, just that he wasn't very good on Saturday. For the record the front three were also crap, as was Howe. Crap game from most of them tbh.

I think it's too early for us to sell him. After working with him for a whole season and seeing some improvement I'm sure Eddie would want to give him more time. I think he will have until the end of the season to impress. After that, if he doesn't make it, I think we will have to write him off.
It's a worry that he still struggles with simple things like getting back and offering an outlet to Ake when we are passing the ball around at the back. He can often be found snoozing in the opposition half and I'm not sure how he can justify that, he only has a couple of jobs to do and one of those is to get back quickly to offer an outlet down the left.
I agree that he was no worse than many other players on Saturday. I also think he is a good player but he either fails to understand or is unable to play the role we are asking him to play. Eddie really does have his work cut out if he wants Rico to be an integral part of the team this season. I hope he's successful but I do have my doubts.
OBX also has a valid point. I doubt either of those teams would be willing to pay enough for us to consider letting him go. Quite apart from the fact that Eddie will not have given up on him yet, we're a bit short of cover if he should leave.
I can't see Rico being allowed to leave just yet, unless it's for those famous "personal reasons" - that COULD happen I suppose but I hope it doesn't. He might still just need time to click with what we are asking him to do.

Last edited:

Neil Dawson

Fans' Favourite
Don't necessarily disagree with this. I'm not saying Rico is a write off, just that he wasn't very good on Saturday. For the record the front three were also crap, as was Howe. Crap game from most of them tbh.
Yes.

I suppose the difference is the others have all been phenomenal for the most part. I always think that if Rico played a game like a Charlie Daniels average game we would all be raving about him.

We bumped into his family and him once by the beach and they are the nicest people who made huge time for our kids. I couldn’t want someone to succeed more on the back of that....spurious though it is! Every time he sets foot on the pitch I will him to do well but he just can’t get on the teams wavelength and never looks sure where he should be and gets constant bench and team instruction. For a guy that nailed top flight in Spain it just doesn’t add up but I’d take the cash if we are offered close to what we paid, sadly.

If the Kelly injury turns out to be a three week job rather than six weeks I guess it's possible the club may take an offer. However, if Kelly won't be back until after the window closes I think the risk is too high. Complications can occur in a recovery, as we've seen many times before.

For what it's worth, I hope Rico stays the season. If it doesn't work out then that's life in football sometimes and next summer both parties can move on. However, there are plenty of examples of foreign players struggling for a year or more and then suddenly blossoming when English football finally clicks. Fingers crossed he's one of those.

Garbo

UTC Legend
...I would love him to succeed, but just can't see him doing that, although we have seen very little of him so it does seem to soon to be writing the guy off.

For all concerned if we could recoup our fee and he could return to Spain then it would probably be for the best...

Best of luck to the bloke but the Spanish press are saying he's keen to go home hence the Interest from these Spanish clubs who are poking around. That's hardly ideal under the circumstances when he's looking to cement a place and commit to the club so I wonder exactly how that got out ? Agent kiting him about, genuinely unhappy here or is it the classic case of the press Interpreting stuff to suit an agenda. The truth is that he looks like a square peg in a round hole and if I'm going to be honest always has done. That said he must be doing something right in training or Eddie wouldn't pick him but its all looking a bit Jordon Ibe despite Eddie saying in June he needs a run of matches..

Yes.

I suppose the difference is the others have all been phenomenal for the most part. I always think that if Rico played a game like a Charlie Daniels average game we would all be raving about him.

We bumped into his family and him once by the beach and they are the nicest people who made huge time for our kids. I couldn’t want someone to succeed more on the back of that....spurious though it is! Every time he sets foot on the pitch I will him to do well but he just can’t get on the teams wavelength and never looks sure where he should be and gets constant bench and team instruction. For a guy that nailed top flight in Spain it just doesn’t add up but I’d take the cash if we are offered close to what we paid, sadly.
You bumped into him,well if he couldn't get round you mate I don't fancy him getting past Bernardo Silva

DJ

Admittedly only know this due to his social media, but always a worry when a player seems content to just live in a hotel rather than trying to settle into the area.

cockbeard

Fans' Favourite
Do those La Liga clubs have the money to tempt AFCB? With the numbers that have flown around this summer, I didn't know if La Liga could even play in that sandbox.
I think there was a new TV deal in Spain, and this Summer has been La Liga biggest spending window ever, over a billion euros spent, so they have the money

I don't think Eddie will sell though, not right now. It would be a huge admission that he was wrong about him, especially right after starting him first game

I think there was a new TV deal in Spain, and this Summer has been La Liga biggest spending window ever, over a billion euros spent, so they have the money

I don't think Eddie will sell though, not right now. It would be a huge admission that he was wrong about him, especially right after starting him first game
How much of that was spent by the top 5 clubs though?

cockbeard

Fans' Favourite
Probably a lot seeing as Spanish clubs can sell their own TV rights, and I guess Hazard was a big old chunk of change, but still it seems there is some cash doing the rounds in Spain at the minute. At least enough to think that they could make reasonable offers. However the timing makes me think that they are looking for cheap. A lot of continental clubs will wait until English window closes so they aren't competing with English clubs who can all vastly outspend them

Yes.

I have to admit that I don't think he's any worse than Daniels. An "average game" for Charlie Daniels over the past year was a long way short of his average from say 3 years ago.

I see Rico as a competent backup player. We certainly shouldn't try to move him on until we know that either Daniels or Kelly is fully fit.

DJ

The domestic rights for Spain were only wrapped up this week. They’re not quite as savvy as the Premier League.

UK rights still not finalised, so id guess other foreign rights would be in a similar situation.

Idk about the hotel thing, but he did an interview recently saying he's been taking lots of English lessons in his spare time, and he always looks quite happy in the training videos.