Diego Rico

I see Rico is back here, front and centre of today's training pic with a smile on his face (along with a certain Mr H number 8 almost cropped out).

Last edited:
I would like to see more of him. give him a run of games and see how he does. looking back at his clips in Spain... we really shouldn't give up on him. he has the potential to solidify his position in the first 11.

He did immediately come in for Daniels as soon as he was available, which would imply that he was seen as someone who should be starting for us regularly. I thought he was pretty good the first 5 or so games, had lots of niggly injuries though.

I read an interview with him in the Spanish press recently, and he came across well then. He said that Eddie told him to use his first year to settle and adjust and now he wants to kick on in year two and try and secure a place in the team; he's been asking Eddie to help him improve and target his weaker areas to give him more of a chance. Apparently the option to leave (possibly on loan) came about in January, but given the club had faith in him and didn't want him to go, he rejected it and decided to "give everything to each training session". He also mentioned the cultural differences, including meal timings, language etc. that it takes time to adapt to. Seems like a genuine, nice guy. Hope he goes on to do well.

Edit: interview here of anyone reads Spanish and is interested: https://www.revistaforofos.com/2019...h-y-quiero-hacerme-con-un-sitio-en-el-equipo/

Last edited:
I said when he joined he would initially struggle a bit as I saw him at the Junior Cherries event and he could only say thank you which I am guessing he had been taught quickly. But seemed genuinely a nice guy and didnt want to rush around. Hope he makes it here

I read an interview with him in the Spanish press recently, and he came across well then. He said that Eddie told him to use his first year to settle and adjust and now he wants to kick on in year two and try and secure a place in the team; he's been asking Eddie to help him improve and target his weaker areas to give him more of a chance. Apparently the option to leave (possibly on loan) came about in January, but given the club had faith in him and didn't want him to go, he rejected it and decided to "give everything to each training session". He also mentioned the cultural differences, including meal timings, language etc. that it takes time to adapt to. Seems like a genuine, nice guy. Hope he goes on to do well.

Edit: interview here of anyone reads Spanish and is interested: https://www.revistaforofos.com/2019...h-y-quiero-hacerme-con-un-sitio-en-el-equipo/

Very interesting thanks. What I took from it is how rooted he is in his home town and family, including a brother with a disability who is a big fan of Burgos CD, Diego’s boyhood club. Diego talks about the sacrifices that his parents made working extra hours when he and his brother were young to make sure that their children did not want for anything. It must have been very hard for him to have been so isolated here for the first year.

As Klaus says it sounds as if, despite that difficulty, Diego wants to knuckle down and make a good go of it this year. I will be rooting for him.

Do those La Liga clubs have the money to tempt AFCB? With the numbers that have flown around this summer, I didn't know if La Liga could even play in that sandbox.

Would please a few on here if true, with Kelly, Smith and Daniels all able to play on the left could it be a possibility?
Let this link please those who don’t understand. I’d like to think the decision makers at our club would have seen the stats from Saturday showing how effective he was defensively and the continuation of his pre season form.

I don't want to sell the bloke but he was crap on Saturday. It doesn't matter how good you are defensively if you can't pass and don't pick up the right position to cause trouble offensively. Especially in our team. Perhaps all the players that were having a go at him throughout the game also fall into the "people who don't understand" category too.

It looks like there's a player in there but he's got to be better than that performance.

I don't want to sell the bloke but he was crap on Saturday. It doesn't matter how good you are defensively if you can't pass and don't pick up the right position to cause trouble offensively. Especially in our team. Perhaps all the players that were having a go at him throughout the game also fall into the "people who don't understand" category too.

It looks like there's a player in there but he's got to be better than that performance.

Why is the debate so binary? He wasn’t crap. He was poor offensively but it hardly helps that when Fraser switches wings it left a huge gap between fullback and sadly too static king/Wilson. He can pass the ball as the neat corner routine first half showed (but billing shot like an over-excited 14 year old) and similarly fantastic accurate cross field ball second half.

He had a poor season last season so maybe he is over concentrating on defence given his lack of confidence? If so, I would rather have smith left back with Stacey right, especially in a back 3 with wing backs.

Finally he wasn’t more crap than king Fraser or Wilson. I bet he would have had a better chance of scoring than Fraser with that late free kick.

;