AFC Bournemouth v Barnsley

It was ok , still think we are struggling to find chants that don’t mention Eddie. The loudest was the Zemura chant (which well deserved)
There were quite a few new chants from where we were in the South Stand. Fans just need to get used to them, and it will be fine.

That was down as 5%. Not having seen the game no idea how far out that might be. There will be error in individual values, but the clear message today from these stats is that only one side looked dangerous
The thing for me Matt is that these aren't really statistics. Stats should be quantifiable or measurable things. Games played, won drawn and lost, goals scored for and against, numbers of corners won and conceded, fouls conceded etc etc are stats. The ones we see after games about shots on and off target, pass completion, saves made etc all involve an element of judgement on the part of the person recording them. For example, a diving goalie spectacularly plucks the ball out of the air - is it counted as a save if it wouldn't have gone in the net? Can the person watching be sure one way or the other?
Expected goals doesn't seem like a proper statistic at all to me, it's just someones personal opinion represented by numbers and graphics, and there are far too many variables about, and perceptions of, each goal attempt to make it truly measurable.
If it helps you get a handle on the game better, that's fair enough though. How we perceive the matches we watch is completely dependent on our individual history with the beautiful game, and every spectator will see a game slightly differently.

The thing for me Matt is that these aren't really statistics. Stats should be quantifiable or measurable things. Games played, won drawn and lost, goals scored for and against, numbers of corners won and conceded, fouls conceded etc etc are stats. The ones we see after games about shots on and off target, pass completion, saves made etc all involve an element of judgement on the part of the person recording them. For example, a diving goalie spectacularly plucks the ball out of the air - is it counted as a save if it wouldn't have gone in the net? Can the person watching be sure one way or the other?
Expected goals doesn't seem like a proper statistic at all to me, it's just someones personal opinion represented by numbers and graphics, and there are far too many variables about, and perceptions of, each goal attempt to make it truly measurable.
If it helps you get a handle on the game better, that's fair enough though. How we perceive the matches we watch is completely dependent on our individual history with the beautiful game, and every spectator will see a game slightly differently.

I think is less someone's opinion and more a a statistical analysis of the quality of chances created. It has lot's of limitations but to some extent everyone watching the Barnsley game (or any other game) will do these calculations based on their own summary of the game.

One of the key points that EG does show is that people consistently overestimate the quality of chances. Solanke’s goal looked a nailed on 90%+ but in reality strikers miss more of them that we think.

I think is less someone's opinion and more a a statistical analysis of the quality of chances created. It has lot's of limitations but to some extent everyone watching the Barnsley game (or any other game) will do these calculations based on their own summary of the game.

One of the key points that EG does show is that people consistently overestimate the quality of chances. Solanke’s goal looked a nailed on 90%+ but in reality strikers miss more of them that we think.

It is inherently statistical. I expect that it will be derived from a logistic regression (where binary events - (goal or not) are translated into a probability) but Lew is correct that the population of the initial model, and then the predictions that come from it, will be subject to considerable uncertainty (the placement of defenders, the height of the ball, the speed the ball was travelling at, whether it came to a favoured foot etc).

I suspect many of us view the game through biased eyes (two identical chances may be a seen as a really good chance for us, and a half-chance for them or vice versa). I like having an independent (albeit flawed) assessment of what happened.

They only take me 5 mins to do, so I'll keep putting them up for the small? amount of people who like them. Hopefully xG-haters will ignore them.

Agree with SDD that we all do this anyway. Hence all the comments of 'it should have been X'.

There was a good four sided chant of, 'you don't know what ya doing', for the referee. :)

Funny to see the normally quiet main stand section (towards Ted mac end) suddenly spring into red army vocals as Nonny was clearly around. Usually like a morgue in that part of the ground.

I think atmosphere was pretty good second half as the team got on top; bit subdued first half at times when the team was struggling with the Barnsley press. Usually away taunts of library/support is sh “ etc. Worth making the point that sometimes the north stand noise is not that audible at the other end of ground.

:grinning:

FANS’ CHANTS AND STADIUM ANNOUNCEMENTS HIGHLIGHT OF DAY

When someone tricking the home club’s stadium announcer into saying ‘happy birthday to Mick Oxlong in the away end’ is - by far - the highlight of the day, you know it has been a tough one on the pitch for Barnsley FC.

That PA announcement was met by much amusement in the press box which must have been replicated in the away end where there seemed little else to smile about as the Reds delivered a dismal display.

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/article/21484/5-talking-points-from-bournemouth

:grinning:

FANS’ CHANTS AND STADIUM ANNOUNCEMENTS HIGHLIGHT OF DAY

When someone tricking the home club’s stadium announcer into saying ‘happy birthday to Mick Oxlong in the away end’ is - by far - the highlight of the day, you know it has been a tough one on the pitch for Barnsley FC.

That PA announcement was met by much amusement in the press box which must have been replicated in the away end where there seemed little else to smile about as the Reds delivered a dismal display.

https://www.barnsleychronicle.com/article/21484/5-talking-points-from-bournemouth

:D

Heard us singing 'back to your sh1thole', is that what prompted the town full of tories chant or was it the other way around?

I saw a couple of our fans trying to get into the away end at that point, I assume it was @stanthevan and @Audenshaw Cherry ?

“I will be happy if we keep it to 2-0” just as zemura scores and then immediately “I will be happy to keep it at 3-0”

;