AFC Bournemouth v Brentford - 3 To Go!

billythekid

UTC Legend
Now In Third Place

Well they say things happen in threes and after our 1-4 win at Millwall, it’s three wins in a row from our three away games on the trot and now third in the table. Jonathan Woodgate and his players have now made it seven wins in a row. With Reading’s draw on Wednesday night and AFCB’s GD 31 against Reading’s 11 GD, it seems our club have more or less gained a play-off place.

After three trips away from home, AFCB are back home at Dean Court for their next game which is live on Sky at 12.30 pm. Our opponents are another side in the play-off places, Brentford. The previous game at their place and the last of 2020, the Bees won 2-1 in a hard fought encounter, just edging the Cherries on shots and shots on target. At the time after playing 22 games, Brentford were in 2nd place on 41 points and AFCB 4th on 38 points but with a game in hand.

Brentford’s record away from home against teams in the top six have been mixed. In 2020 they beat Barnsley 0-1 and drew 1-1 with Watford. In January they also drew 1-1 against Swansea City. Two months later they lost 1-0 against Norwich City, all low scoring games. Their recent six game form home and away, has resulted in one win and four draws. The win was their last away fixture at Preston, the game finishing 0-5. Their last game was at home against Cardiff City, it finished 1-1, another draw and with Watford winning away at Norwich, all but finished Brentford’s automatic promotion hopes.

The last time AFCB and Brentford met at Dean Court, was back in the Championship of the 2014-15 season and it was the Cherries first home game, which they won 1-0. Junior Stanislas who had signed in the Summer from Burnley came on in the 66th minute and six minutes later he scored his first league goal for his new club to get all 3 points.

In our league games at home against Brentford, AFCB have W 26, D 11, L 13.

All competitions, AFCB have W 38, D 32, L 39.

AFCB Team News
Lloyd Kelly went off injured against Millwall with what is a slight ankle injury according to JW and will have a scan. Shane Long has been out with a groin problem and long term is the injury to Lewis Cook.

AFCB Player To Watch
Watching us against Millwall it has to be our team, it was a real hard working team performance. David Brooks probably had one of his best games this season, Ben Pearson was active in our midfield and made us tick. Arnaut Danjuma, Philip Billing, Dominic Solanke all had good games, but for me it’s our team.

Brentford Team News
Rico Henry (hamstring injury), Henrik Dalsgaard ( knee injury), Josh Dasilva (hip injury) and Luka Racic (back injury) all missed the Cardiff City game.

Brentford Player To Watch
On Tuesday night against Cardiff City, Tariqe Fosu-Henry was the best player and he also scored their goal. Ivan Toney the top scorer in the Championship this season with 29 goals and also has 10 assists. Since a goalless patch between the middle of December and most of January, he hasn’t gone without scoring for two games in a row. If that continues, he is due a goal in our game.

I will ask an heretic question here.

Is the best possible outcome for us to finish third and then NOT get promoted?

I am a supporter of 65 years but can honestly say that I did not really enjoy any but the first season in the Premier League and even then it was a survival fight, which was not a lot of fun. Add VAR and the thought of losing on a consistent basis, I think I would prefer the Championship.

I await incoming flak!

:utc:

I am a supporter of 65 years but can honestly say that I did not really enjoy any but the first season in the Premier League and even then it was a survival fight, which was not a lot of fun. Add VAR and the thought of losing on a consistent basis, I think I would prefer the Championship.

I await incoming flak!

Agree totally about VAR
and it is depressing getting regularly dicked
but
Liverpool 4-3
3-0 away at Chelsea
absolutely magical days
and I fear for our financial future without EPL money.

I await incoming flak!

The only reason this would bother me is that it would feel like Watford had got one over on us. Otherwise I agree.

I await incoming flak!

That’s a bit like this super league they had planned, not playing for anything but staying put in the same league.

We must go for promotion.

I await incoming flak!

If this team doesn't achieve promotion, I think we will lose at least another 5 players.

Begovic - Unlikely to get another contract.
Wilshere - As above
Kelly - Decent offer comes in, he's off.
Danjuma - As above
Brooks - As above
Lerma As above.

S Cook/Stanislas/Smith. I'm not sure how much longer their contracts are, but if their ending, they all could be gone.

Another season of Championship football would be exciting, but we may be near the bottom.

I, sadly, think we belong in the EPL. Sadly, because of VAR and the 'big clubs' 'little clubs' mentality. At least in the Championship there seemed more teams in with a chance of gaining a top six spot. Depends on who we lose in the summer if we do go up.

If this team doesn't achieve promotion, I think we will lose at least another 5 players.

Begovic - Unlikely to get another contract.
Wilshere - As above
Kelly - Decent offer comes in, he's off.
Danjuma - As above
Brooks - As above
Lerma As above.

S Cook/Stanislas/Smith. I'm not sure how much longer their contracts are, but if their ending, they all could be gone.

Another season of Championship football would be exciting, but we may be near the bottom.

Smith and Stanislas are out of contract I believe. Begovic and Cook have another season to go.

I await incoming flak!

I see your point entirely.

The Premier League years have been swings and roundabouts. Does that amazing day out in the sun at Upton Park balance up some abysmal trips to the Ethiad? Likewise, are those two noisy wins at Newcastle equal to the whole "perpetual library experience" of London N7. The good times were great, but where there enough of them?

This season has been competitive, the Prem generally was not. We've seen a bit more real football: daring to win rather than being afraid of losing. And, importantly, more winning than losing.

I want us to win, always. I want us to go up this year. I want success. However, it's a bit like enjoying the journey more than the destination.

I see your point entirely.

No flak Audenshaw. The Premier League is all very fine but for the 14 teams, of whom 3 will go down, a truncated season the hassle of VAR silly kick off times/wrong days etc.

So going into our game against Brentford, we are now the highest scorers in the Championship with 73 goals, Brentford played one game less are second with 72 goals.

We have conceded 42 goals, against Brentford’s 41 goals.

The last six matches AFCB have scored 18 goals and conceded 5.

Brentford have scored 8 goals and conceded 3.

The main concern for me, as I've stated before, is that any benefit of playing in the Premier League (i.e. money) will all go on player wages, board wages and Bentleys all round. Not a penny will go on having a less laughable ground or better academy facilities.
I may being very naive here, but if we get promoted I would like to think we would finish the new training ground, extend/ try and buy back ground, no more massive buys or large wages, Max may even take some of his money back.....will probably end in relegation, but there would be more parachute payments, and so we go on.....
Don't think that model would be followed , but I'd settle for that, let's have something to show for being in the PL

I await incoming flak!

No flak here either Audenshaw, I fully understand your point.

My hope here (and I stress it may be a forlorn one) is that we become a yo-yo club for a few years, each time coming down, winning the league and then when we go up, using the money to develop the club.

My belief is that we will go up and as Simon says - Bentleys all round.

As a football fan I am with DJ though - what's the point in being in a league if you don't want to win it?

I await incoming flak!

Short answer, NO.

Long answer don't you miss our annual beating of Chelsea, those legendary days beating Man U (twice), Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs. The joy of beating scummers in their own backyard, humiliating Brighton 5-0 away.. Let alone all the "ordinary" wins against the likes of Everton, Newcastle, champions Leicester, Villa, West Ham etc etc.
The other thing is there is no guarantee that next season in the Championship will be a success - bottom line is you can't pick and choose when you go up (or down), you have to grasp the opportunity when it arises.

So going into our game against Brentford, we are now the highest scorers in the Championship with 73 goals, Brentford played one game less are second with 72 goals.

We have conceded 42 goals, against Brentford’s 41 goals.

The last six matches AFCB have scored 18 goals and conceded 5.

Brentford have scored 8 goals and conceded 3.

So, nil-nil written all over it then!

;