AFC Bournemouth v Brentford - 3 To Go!

For anyone interested in who the referee is, it’s John Brooks.

Games he has been our referee this season.

Home v QPR - 0-0.

Away v Stoke - 0-1.

Home v Barnsley -2-3.

I will ask an heretic question here.

Is the best possible outcome for us to finish third and then NOT get promoted?

I am a supporter of 65 years but can honestly say that I did not really enjoy any but the first season in the Premier League and even then it was a survival fight, which was not a lot of fun. Add VAR and the thought of losing on a consistent basis, I think I would prefer the Championship.

I await incoming flak!

:utc:
I’d happily be a yo yo club

I may being very naive here, but if we get promoted I would like to think we would finish the new training ground, extend/ try and buy back ground, no more massive buys or large wages, Max may even take some of his money back.....will probably end in relegation, but there would be more parachute payments, and so we go on.....
Don't think that model would be followed , but I'd settle for that, let's have something to show for being in the PL
Totally agree with this.

I would love to be a “yo yo” team for the next 5-10 years before trying to consolidate in the Prem whilst owning our ground, and having a top, modern training facility.

Norwich have done it right IMO. It’s about looking at the bigger picture too!

edit - just seen you’re yo yo comment too BPL!

Back in the 1960’s & probably before, there was always a rumour going around that the football club didn’t want promotion.

How true that was I don’t know.

Totally agree with this.

I would love to be a “yo yo” team for the next 5-10 years before trying to consolidate in the Prem whilst owning our ground, and having a top, modern training facility.

Norwich have done it right IMO. It’s about looking at the bigger picture too!

edit - just seen you’re yo yo comment too BPL!
Beat me to it . Norwich are doing it that way . Not over spending

I may being very naive here, but if we get promoted I would like to think we would finish the new training ground, extend/ try and buy back ground, no more massive buys or large wages, Max may even take some of his money back.....will probably end in relegation, but there would be more parachute payments, and so we go on.....
Don't think that model would be followed , but I'd settle for that, let's have something to show for being in the PL
Blimey one season in the Premier league will pay for all that, are we in the super league

last time we where in the PL Eddie wanted a legacy a new ground a training facility but most of if not all of the money went on wages and other overheads .
We still do not own our ground ,have a a well below set up compared to all the other PL clubs .
Whilst what we play on the pitch may be sometimes great all the money seems to go on just being in the Pl and we seem to just make the up the numbers at the race to avoid the drop .
What about the fans a large number can not even get to watch the team they have supported for years let alone all the young fans which is our next generation to follow us and not on Tv I was only eight when I saw my first game at dean court and that was 60 years ago now I can not get a ticket to see a game (prior Covid ) .
Prior to my retirement I worked in a businesses which dealt with the leisure trade and the catchment area for Bournemouth was from Basingstoke down to Exeter and north to Warminster so much so we advertised evert Friday what we had on and we had people from all those areas every event we had which was backed up by years of research.
The support is defiantly there for the club just that over the years the fans have been let down time after time yet they still will do anything for the club they love .
If we do go back to the Pl lets not let all the players and others be rich, think of the fans after all we are the ones who be here long after the players have gone and management directors and everybody else
The fans whether we go up or not should be put first for once .

Our first ever League win over Manu a week after the first League win at Chelsea..not long after the West Ham 4-3 was the High Peak period of our History..
Those euphoric feelings after those and other 'big club' victories..after so long in the lower Divs seemed to placate our overall apprehension after the clusters of heavy drubbings early on in that 1st season..and occasionally thereafter.

But here we are again on the brink of returning... I'm wondering how aware Max Denim is of the notion that the Bournemouth Council, or BCP as it is now, is against having a 'big noisy crowd' at a larger stadium because it doesn't ' fit the image' of a poshish, picturesque, balmy South Coast Resort !

Our first ever League win over Manu a week after the first League win at Chelsea..not long after the West Ham 4-3 was the High Peak period of our History..
Those euphoric feelings after those and other 'big club' victories..after so long in the lower Divs seemed to placate our overall apprehension after the clusters of heavy drubbings early on in that 1st season..and occasionally thereafter.

But here we are again on the brink of returning... I'm wondering how aware Max Denim is of the notion that the Bournemouth Council, or BCP as it is now, is against having a 'big noisy crowd' at a larger stadium because it doesn't ' fit the image' of a poshish, picturesque, balmy South Coast Resort !
It was made all the sweeter beating a 200m+ squad of superstars with our first team costing about 1.7m.

Sadly those days are gone. We'll never have the excitement of being in the PL for the first time again and we'll never have it with a team who developed and grew with us the way they did.

And for those who say we might finally get the ground we want and the training facilities we need, why would you think next season would be any different to our previous 5 that resulted in little more than some extra cameras and some new floodlights?

I'd just make the point that when we were promoted to the Premier League, there were an estimated 60,000 people on the beach watching the team on the bus. I think that a) shows how many people want AFCB to succeed and b) it's more than enough to keep the politicians very supportive of the club

And for those who say we might finally get the ground we want and the training facilities we need, why would you think next season would be any different to our previous 5 that resulted in little more than some extra cameras and some new floodlights?
Because hopefully lessons will have been learned. No other reason. We live in hope that the board will follow a new path after five years of the PL left us more or less exactly where we started, just with a higher wage bill.

Bit early to talk about what might happen if we get promoted to the Premier League.

But we did go up with both Norwich and Watford.

Then we came down with them.

So the old saying things happen in threes, we will have to wait and see.

If accurate and JW didn't just lump him in with Long's two weeks by mistake, that's excellent news. It would be great to have him back to full strength by the playoffs. I hope we don't rush him and break him again. If he can be 100% fit by the time the playoffs come around, that'll do pig !

;