AFC Bournemouth v Brentford - Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 1st Leg

I'm with Blandford on this I think... Whilst I struggled with us looking like we were leaving both Meps and Kelly up for a corner, I agree that we looked tired, we were under the cosh and they looked more and more dangerous attacking as the game went on...

Yes, the game is played over two legs and yes, this is only half time, but you have to 'read the room'... we looked like we could concede so seeing the game out and taking a 1-0 into Saturday was better then risking throwing everyone up to grab a second and then being hit on the break and losing the slightest bit of advantage we currently hold...

It's the difference between taking the lead itnto Saturday and knowing you only need to not concede and going into Saturday thinking we need to both not concede and score...
Absolutely this. I think.

Completely agree. We were essentially holding on to a one goal lead with over ninety minutes still to play. It was a ridiculous thing to do. The way we approached the second half after going one up made no sense. We were in the ascendancy and then just sat back and held on to what we had. You could see the mind set of the players completely changed. It’s like they didn’t understand it is a two legged tie.

We weren’t just holding on though . In one of the “ time wasting “ passages of play we had 2 corners and one edge of the box free kick . Would you honestly rather there was a risk of them being the other end of the pitch ? Against one of the most dangerous set piece teams in the league

On the whole keeping it in the corner malarkey.

I think any manager would send that message out. Yes it’s nonsensical, we won’t act like that in the first minute of the second leg and in the grand scheme of things there’s zip all difference... but moral, belief and all of that mindset/psychological part of the game winning the first leg no doubt gives an edge over letting go of a winning position.

I thought I had read that a Scottish club was after him. My mistake (hopefully)

Getting OT here but I cant see Cook could earn more money at Celtic than here... He loves this club, he's captain and I reckon regardless of division he'd still be here (as in not be sold) next year...

I'd actually be quite p*ssed off if EH came cherry picking the squad...

Its a judgement call that Woodgate made. He clearly wanted to do everything to preserve the big psycholgical effect of going to Brentford with a lead. Was it right or wrong no one will ever know. Personally I reckon EH would have done the same, many managers would have. It's a bit frustrating for us supporters as we just want to see a second goal.

Like I say I'm not saying they had to send everyone up for the corner just that they should have tried to score. As it was they tried to keep possession then inevitably lost it anyway so what was the point? They even didn't try to score in open play when we had plenty of players back with good shape.

I think that is demonstrably wrong.

But all we have to do in the second half is keep a clean sheet?

And if we'd got a second, which we were much more likely to do than they were if we'd tried to score the corner/attacking positions we were in, then we wouldn't even have needed to win the game to go through let alone keep a clean sheet.

Like I say I'm not saying they had to send everyone up for the corner just that they should have tried to score. As it was they tried to keep possession then inevitably lost it anyway so what was the point? They even didn't try to score in open play when we had plenty of players back with good shape.

I think that is demonstrably wrong.

Fair opinion but it’s certainly not demonstrably wrong any more that to say it’s demonstrably right . I guess some are satisfied with being 1.0 up and others are not .

And if we'd got a second, which we were much more likely to do than they were if we'd tried to score the corner/attacking positions we were in, then we wouldn't even have needed to win the game to go through let alone keep a clean sheet.

9/10 times our corner kicks are woeful. The psychological aspect of going there, knowing Brentford’s great form at home and keeping a clean sheet was obviously the deciding factor in it. You’d be fuming if they’d scored in the 94th minute because we sent everyone forward for a corner, I’m sure you’re much more content with the 1-0 win, clean sheet and psychological advantage we have going into Saturday. I am

Fair opinion but it’s certainly not demonstrably wrong any more that to say it’s demonstrably right . I guess some are satisfied with being 1.0 up and others are not .

I guess I'm looking at it from a risk/reward point of view. If someone offered you 3/1 on the toss of a coin it's demonstrably the right option to take the bet even if you end up losing.

If you get a corner and don't send everyone up then you are still way more likely to score than they are. Demonstrably you should try.

Anyway, it just really annoyed me.

;