AFC Bournemouth v Brentford - Last Home Game

Interestingly Dermot Gallagher thought that Dom's first goal should have stood as it was a ricochet and not deliberate in his opinion.....if the linesman missed it Var shouldn't be getting involved.....Var thought it was deliberate .

Tbf it doesn't actually matter if you disregard our start to the season our not.......our form over the past 27 games is quite extraordinary........for nearly 3/4 of the season we've maintained top 6 form.......it's hard to think why we couldn't repeat that form next season.
Hopefully you are right. Things certainly point in that direction albeit we've had a couple of short spells where we've dropped off a bit but that may be due to injuries and having to restructure how we play. Of course, the opposition has something to do with it. :)

My final thoughts on Saturday's game. Overall, I don't think we were quite at it but the referee's performance tended to obscure that. Brentford have become a bit of a bogey team for us, and I can't recall a really decent performance against them for a few years now other than the earlier season half decent draw at their place. We just seemed to be a bit disjointed and while I think Dango will work out okay he wasn't very good on Saturday. Gave the ball away consistently. I can't quite work out how he goes from one decent performance to a poor one. Maybe it's just his youth. That first Brentford goal was appalling defending. Four players were drawn to the ball leaving Mbeumo completely free. Can't blame Travers for that one but for sure, I was very disappointed with his keeping for the second. Instead of standing-up he ended on his knees with the ball going over him. Sure, it was hit hard but I think if we had Brentford's Flekken in goal he would have saved it. Of course, we'll never know. Even Cook's passing wasn't up to his usual standard. In fact, both sides were poor with that at times. Excellent header by Dom who I thought had a good game. Tough one at Chelsea on Sunday but fingers crossed to reach that 50-point mark.

Interestingly Dermot Gallagher thought that Dom's first goal should have stood as it was a ricochet and not deliberate in his opinion.....if the linesman missed it Var shouldn't be getting involved.....Var thought it was deliberate .
There is no way Semenyo deliberately handled that. It was a ricochet at very close range and it would be impossible for anyones brain and body to react that quickly to deliberately handle it.

An enjoyable weekend back in Bournemouth, great weather for walking the cliff tops and a few pints with family and friends. Nice to see table and the good lady before kickoff and also glad to meet, In all departments. I won’t bother commenting on the game as it was ruined by an idiot.
It will be tough for dibby to win his bet now but still hopeful of a win next week. UTC

His hand came down on the ball thus controlling it. so I understand the intential hand ball ruling that was given.

I'd be fuming if they had scored from that. He gained a big advantage from handling it and you just don't give the benefit of the doubt in those situations. That said it was a long time before the ball hit the back of the net.

His hand came down on the ball thus controlling it. so I understand the intential hand ball ruling that was given.
Not arguing that he didn't benefit from it, just saying that at a deflection distance of about 2 feet and a millisecond of time there is no way on earth any player could deliberately react to that situation.

Ah but VAR slows it right down to the point that everything looks deliberate.
Exactly right, thats what happens all the time. When you add in the continually changing definitions of handball for forwards and defenders, intentional or not definitions then its no wonder we are left somewhat confused at times.

Not long after the incident at Burnley where they pulled a Cherries goal back to a handball, incidentally all the way back in our box for a Burnley penalty, I believe some change was made about stipulating phases of play that could and couldn’t be part of any review. Couldn’t tell you exactly though, which speaks to the chaotic state handball is in.

Clear as mud..

"The starting point for a phase of play that leads to a goal or penalty incident will be limited to the immediate phase and not necessarily go back to when the attacking team gained possession.

Other factors for consideration will be the ability of the defence to reset and the momentum of the attack."
This "explanation" shows that the officials have all the discretion they need to make sure that these decisions go the "right" way.

I guess a couple of Brentford players stood still and even Semenyo seemed to pause. Could that be deemed

Other factors for consideration will be the ability of the defence to reset and the momentum of the attack."

"VAR ruled the incident was too early in the move to have an impact on the goal, so it was allowed to stand to mass outcry from the home fans when replays were shown in the ground."

First goal in the highlights. How was the Liverpool goal too early in the move, but not Solanke's? (Other than, it's Liverpool).

I'd be fuming if they had scored from that. He gained a big advantage from handling it and you just don't give the benefit of the doubt in those situations. That said it was a long time before the ball hit the back of the net.
You'd be livid if a point blank deflection on the halfway line ended up in a goal 10 seconds later?

I'll confess that I don't understand handball anymore it seems to be in complete disarray. It seems like the only criteria for whether or not VAR is applied or the decision is the badge on the shirt.

;