AFC Bournemouth v Brentford - Last Home Game

You'd be livid if a point blank deflection on the halfway line ended up in a goal 10 seconds later?

I'll confess that I don't understand handball anymore it seems to be in complete disarray. It seems like the only criteria for whether or not VAR is applied or the decision is the badge on the shirt.

Yes I would because he gets a massive advantage from it and in my mind you don't give the benefit of the doubt in those situations. It's always subjective to adjudge what's deliberate or not and nobody here can be sure no matter what they say.

As I've said, it's up to the ref on the pitch and he didn't give it so they should have let it stand.

Okay but….no matter how you call it, our season is our season. Now, under AI’s guidance, taking your qualification period, do we take his last three games or the three before that, or the three before that. I mean, he’s been great for us but you can’t just pick and choose those you want to emphasize a point and ignore the rest. Equally, all teams play each other twice. We didn’t play those top teams twice in those first ten games but I suggest we didn’t do much better on the second times we played them. Hey, it’s not a criticism of AI but for me, our results and position in the league reflects a whole season, not just the selective bits.
I think I laid it out pretty clearly. If you don't get what I'm saying I'm not going to repeat myself. Context is everything. If you want to twist my words, knock yourself out. I have better things to do. I'm not SDD.

Yes I would because he gets a massive advantage from it and in my mind you don't give the benefit of the doubt in those situations. It's always subjective to adjudge what's deliberate or not and nobody here can be sure no matter what they say.

As I've said, it's up to the ref on the pitch and he didn't give it so they should have let it stand.
That's mental, the guy who blasted it against his hand (which was in a natural position) wasn't able to react to it which is why he shanked it. I doubt Semenyo could've deliberately handled it or even made an unnatural move even if he wanted to.

If Semenyo was defending in the box when that happened you would be happy conceding a penalty for it?

That's mental, the guy who blasted it against his hand (which was in a natural position) wasn't able to react to it which is why he shanked it. I doubt Semenyo could've deliberately handled it or even made an unnatural move even if he wanted to.

If Semenyo was defending in the box when that happened you would be happy conceding a penalty for it?

You're not describing what happened at all. He doesn't blast it against his hand, it flicks up off his ankle then Semenyo's arm takes the ball past the defender and actually moves as it's in contact with the ball. Nobody knows if it's deliberate or not but I would expect that to be given as handball yes.

Yeah I'd give a pen for that of the defender took the ball away from the attacker and cleared it. Dom clearly thought it was handball because he instantly looked at the ref. So did I at the time like most people in the ground I imagine.

There are subjective decisions where you don't give the benefit of the doubt. The whole reason that 'unnatural position' came into the equation for this reason.

Or like a player who trips someone 'accidentally' as they are breaking away to attack - that's a booking no matter what the player intended, there's no benefit of doubt given to the tackler.

You're not describing what happened at all. He doesn't blast it against his hand, it flicks up off his ankle then Semenyo's arm takes the ball past the defender and actually moves as it's in contact with the ball. Nobody knows if it's deliberate or not but I would expect that to be given as handball yes.

Yeah I'd give a pen for that of the defender took the ball away from the attacker and cleared it. Dom clearly thought it was handball because he instantly looked at the ref. So did I at the time like most people in the ground I imagine.

There are subjective decisions where you don't give the benefit of the doubt. The whole reason that 'unnatural position' came into the equation for this reason.

Or like a player who trips someone 'accidentally' as they are breaking away to attack - that's a booking no matter what the player intended, there's no benefit of doubt given to the tackler.
You'd think Dermot Gallagher would know the handball law better than any of us though wouldn't you?

You'd think Dermot Gallagher would know the handball law better than any of us though wouldn't you?

Yeah that ricochet business seems to be one of those areas that's just more and more unclear. My opinion is based on the movement of Semenyo's arm into the ball and the advantage gained removing the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it's clear and obvious enough to override the ref though and he shouldn't have overturned it. You could probably say the same about their pen too.

Last edited:

If I recall the ball did fall behind him and the advantage was because the Brentford players around him stood there with their hand up. that’s not an advantage from the handball that’s an advantage from play to the whistle.

The goal at Spurs was instinctive , he didn't have time to think about it. I think he struggles when he has options which is decision making. Similarly, when in defence I think he plays instinctively. He's young with limited experience but there is definitely a player in there.
Weirdly he cut inside on to his right foot to score while many of his missed chances are left footed efforts.

Personally think Dango has had some good games and some inconsistent games. I think he has been impacted by two long injury absences, especially at the start of the season.

Find it unbelievable some of the negatives of a player only just turned 22. For an attacking player confidence is a huge part of determining success/failure. Under AI, I think he will develop

If I recall the ball did fall behind him and the advantage was because the Brentford players around him stood there with their hand up. that’s not an advantage from the handball that’s an advantage from play to the whistle.

His arm took it away from the defender and allowed him to run away with the ball. You can see his arm movement change the spin of the ball as it moves when in contact with the ball. It's just handball in my view. Most people other than the ref thoughts so in the ground I'd say. We all knew they were going to look at it.

His arm took it away from the defender and allowed him to run away with the ball. You can see his arm movement change the spin of the ball as it moves when in contact with the ball. It's just handball in my view. Most people other than the ref thoughts so in the ground I'd say. We all knew they were going to look at it.
The ball was behind him, he needed to turn around to get the ball and the defender immediately raised his hand which put him at a disadvantage. But as I said Semenyo knew it hit his hand and paused, I really dont know the handball law anymore to determine if it was handball or not

The ball was behind him, he needed to turn around to get the ball and the defender immediately raised his hand which put him at a disadvantage. But as I said Semenyo knew it hit his hand and paused, I really dont know the handball law anymore to determine if it was handball or not
Moment the Brentford player hits the ball
1715670611625.png
The moment of impact about 3 frames later
1715670886832.png
Having to stop and turn to collect the ball

1715670838499.png

Despite 2 Brentford players refusing to defend preferring to complain to officials there were still 5 defenders and a goal keeper to beat over the 60+ yards distance to goal.

View attachment 14268
View attachment 14273

View attachment 14272

Despite 2 Brentford players refusing to defend preferring to complain to officials there were still 5 defenders and a goal keeper to beat over the 60+ yards distance to goal.
Totally. Semenyo had to check back to get the ball after it hit his hand. Clearly not deliberate and the only advantage gained was that the Brentford defenders decided to stop playing football and start waving their arms about.
Embarrassing mistake on their part and even more embarrassing that it resulted in our legitimate goal being disallowed.

View attachment 14268
View attachment 14273

View attachment 14272

He moves his arm into the ball, it changes the spin of the ball. Nobody knows if that movement was deliberate or not but it took the ball behind the defender and allowed him to regain possession of it and set up the goal. No benefit of the doubt - assume it's deliberate like you do with 'making yourself bigger'.

In the old days of wouldn't even be questioned.

from those images, can someone tell me what part of the handball laws end up with that being a foul? genuine question as i don't have a clue

have var made the decision on their players' reactions?

Moves his hand into the ball once it's in contact with it therefore it's assumed to be deliberate.

He moves his arm into the ball, it changes the spin of the ball. Nobody knows if that movement was deliberate or not but it took the ball behind the defender and allowed him to regain possession of it and set up the goal. No benefit of the doubt - assume it's deliberate like you do with 'making yourself bigger'.

In the old days of wouldn't even be questioned.

So no longer claiming an advantage at least.

Did his arm change direction towards the ball or would it be better described as a natural running motion when a ball at close range stuck him without a reasonable amount of time to attempt to avoid it?

So no longer claiming an advantage at least.

Did his arm change direction towards the ball or would it be better described as a natural running motion when a ball at close range stuck him without a reasonable amount of time to attempt to avoid it?

Yes he got an advantage. He regained possession of the ball as a result of handling it.

Who knows if it was the natural running action or if the reason his arm hooked at the ball as soon as it touched it was a deliberate action (possibly a subconscious one)? We'll never know but I would expect that to be given handball if if happened against us. I personally don't think it's a clear and obvious error though, although as I've said you could say the same about their pen.

Reactions: drd

;