AFC Bournemouth v Brentford - Last Home Game

Yeah that ricochet business seems to be one of those areas that's just more and more unclear. My opinion is based on the movement of Semenyo's arm into the ball and the advantage gained removing the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it's clear and obvious enough to override the ref though and he shouldn't have overturned it. You could probably say the same about their pen too.
Like you when I first saw it I thought it should be disallowed...simply because we gained an advantage from it but apparently that's not the law....the only way they could disallow that goal is if it was deliberate handball....which it wasn't or at least nigh on impossible to prove anyway or if Brentford didn't have time to reset which doesn't apply because the incident happened near the half line..... the West ham volleyball goal last season was allowed to stand because the handball was deemed to be accidental and the player didn't score directly from it .....

Like you when I first saw it I thought it should be disallowed...simply because we gained an advantage from it but apparently that's not the law....the only way they could disallow that goal is if it was deliberate handball....which it wasn't or at least nigh on impossible to prove anyway or if Brentford didn't have time to reset which doesn't apply because the incident happened near the half line..... the West ham volleyball goal last season was allowed to stand because the handball was deemed to be accidental and the player didn't score directly from it .....

Yeah I don't know about the phase of play VAR nonsense - I would scrap the lot and the goal would stand. It's just shocking how inconsistent it all is - that West Ham goal was a disgrace. The Burnley one denied to us almost as bad. This one I just always thought it would be disallowed and nothing I've seen since has particularly changed my mind.

If anyone's interested here's a link to the Ref Watch where they discussed the disallowed goals.

I saw that earlier - I pretty much completely agree with the woman on all points.

If anyone's interested here's a link to the Ref Watch where they discussed the disallowed goals.

I’ll confess I didn’t even get out of my seat for the first goal. I just knew it was handball and that was it. I lost the moment, whatever was going to follow because of VAR, whether it being disallowed or given, my moment was gone and that’s why VAR is an absolute crock of shite for supporters.

For the second you could tell from the stands it wasn’t a foul, it’s amazing a referee so close to the action can see it so wrong. It shows a complete lack of understanding of how playing the game works. He then compounded it by not just letting it run a second, when he has his safety blanket of VAR to hold his hand.

Similar with the penalty, again it looked like it wasn’t a pen from the stands so why so keen to make big bold decisions for attention?

Gone and done but….

Why was Solanke goal disallowed for the Semenyo handball according to MOTD the right decision.

Havertz goal v Everton allowed to stand after the Jesus handball according to MOTD again the right decision.

What’s the difference, if anything Brentford had more time to react than Everton did???

Don’t watch that programme. Dermot gallagher’s defence of the ref vs Man Utd vs studio guests opinion was very disappointing

Gone and done but….

Why was Solanke goal disallowed for the Semenyo handball according to MOTD the right decision.

Havertz goal v Everton allowed to stand after the Jesus handball according to MOTD again the right decision.

What’s the difference, if anything Brentford had more time to react than Everton did???
The badge on the shirt.

MotD is a farce so ignore it. You only have to look at how Ian Wright was unequivocal on social media after our match v Arsenal about their penalty being a mistake only to clamp up and refuse to say anything on the programme. Quite shameful for someone that styles themselves as a straight talker.

Instead, there's this:

"Last weekend, AFC Bournemouth had a Dominic Solanke goal ruled out against Brentford for handball in the buildup by Antoine Semenyo, with the ball touching his arm in midfield before he created the goal. The KMI Panel ruled that to be the fifth incorrect VAR overturn this season, voting 4-1 that the goal should have stood."

So the PL's official post match review of the incident declared disallowing the Semenyo goal was an error and it should have stood. Therefore, with the refs getting that feedback, you'd hope a ref would get a similar incident right this week and allow the goal.

As long as that's consistent in the future for all teams, then we have to swallow it. Let's see if it is.

Is it a coincidence that Arsenal had multiple (closer to a multitude) of "fortunate" referee/VAR decisions in those last few matches? That's a separate issue.

;