AFC Bournemouth v Cardiff City

billythekid

UTC Legend
In the build up to our game and after the comments re our recent managerial appointment etc.

It's not exactly a secret that man management forms the bedrock of the Yorkshireman's methods, but few would have tipped McCarthy's impact at the club to have been this significant.

Indeed, many fans might well have been busy frantically deleting a few social media posts over the last few days.

Let's not forget, a sizeable portion of the City following wrote McCarthy off as a footballing dinosaur before he'd even passed through the door at the Cardiff City Stadium.

When he was unveiled, the man himself admitted he was, in the eyes of many, at the bottom of a "long list" of preferred options.

But just like fellow Yorkshireman Neil Warnock, proving the critics wrong has always been a favourite past-time for the 62-year-old.

And, while it's not quite the same brand of street fighting direct football that underpinned Warnock's successful stint in South Wales, Cardiff are at least making life deeply uncomfortable for opponents again.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-mick-mccarthy-made-cardiff-19884058

Also a rare interview with their owner.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...ws/cardiff-citys-vincent-tan-praises-19888685

Last edited:
Three points behind us. Five straight wins and two draws before that.
Another in form team. I hope we’re still in it by half time. But I’m not at all confident.

The Bluebirds Are Flying High

After two wins and a draw in recent games in the Championship under Jonathan Woodgate, he suffered his first defeat on Saturday losing away in London against QPR. Depending on your point of view, but this game should not have been a defeat IMO, but an individual error and not taking a chance in the first half cost us.

But we now have to put that result behind us and look to get back to winning at Dean Court on Wednesday night when we meet another team who are in form, Cardiff City. Jonathan Woodgate has now been appointed head coach until the end of the season, which will give stability going into our last 15 games.

They have a new manager since our first meeting earlier in the season which ended honours even 1-1, when old Millwall favourite Neil Harris was the Bluebirds manager. Neil Harris lost his job in January after losing 5 games in a row in the league. An old head has taken over, experienced manager Mick McCarthy has so far in his first seven games in charge, his Cardiff City team have had two draws and five straight wins. This will be a very hard game and our team will need to be at their best to halt their ‘ride’. Cardiff City are top of the form table in the Championship going into this game.

So we go into this game with two people temporary in charge of their clubs who are in 6th and 7th place separated by three points and a two goal difference. Both are from the North of the country, both are former defenders and have played international football, Woodgate for England and McCarthy for Republic of Ireland.
They both have managed North East clubs, Woodgate at Middlesbrough and McCarthy at Sunderland. Jonathan Woodgate has only one season as a full time manager under his belt, whereas Mick McCarthy is a very experienced manager and also managed the Republic of Ireland.

With Neil Harris in charge and since our last meeting at the Cardiff City Stadium back in October, Cardiff City have W 6, D 3, L 9. Out of that nine, five were in his last games in charge, of which two were on their travels. Since Mick McCarthy took over his first two games were draws, 2-2 away at Barnsley and 1-1 at home against Millwall. The first two games of the five wins were away from home, first 0-2 against Bristol City and then 1-2 at Rotherham. McCarthy’s first win at home the opponents were Coventry City which finished 3-1. Next was a trip to Kenilworth Road to play Luton Town, 0-2 was the result.

In their most recent game and fifth win in a row, was at home and McCarthy’s biggest result to date, 4-0 against Preston. It also saw Dillon Phillips the Cardiff City goalkeeper save two penalties within minutes. First was after a foul by a Cardiff City player in the box and Gallagher of Preston took the penalty but Phillips saved and the ball spilled out and it looked like Gallagher was going to follow up and put the ball into the net, only to be fouled. This led to another penalty, this time Evans took the penalty, but another save from Phillipskept Preston off the scoresheet.

The last time the Cherries met Cardiff City at Dean Court was in the 2018-19 season in the Premier League, AFCB won 2-0, with a goal in each half, first from Fraser, in the second halffrom C Wilson in the first minute of injury time. This was the season the Bluebirds were relegated in 18th place with 34 points, a season later AFCB finished in exactly the same position and with the same points.

All our home games in the league against Cardiff City, AFCB have W 11, D 3, L 3.
All competitions, AFCB have W 18, D 12, L 14.

AFCB Team News
Dominic Solanke and Steve Cook will miss this game and David Brooks who missed the QPR game with an ankle injury could also be missing.

AFCB Player To Watch
No player has stood out recently, Jefferson Lerma has looked better in recent games, hope to see Junior Stanislas in a more attacking role for our home game.

Cardiff City Team News
On the injury front Joe Ralls was out with an ankle problem, Junior Hoilett with a calf injury, no news on any new injuries from the weekend.

Cardiff City Player To Watch
Kieffer Moore their £2 million signing has scored 14 goals this season and 6 of those have come in his last 7 games. Harry Wilson has had 4 assists in his last 6 games and eight assists so far this season.

The big question will be what formation will Woodgate play in his first match in permanent charge of the boys.

I reckon he's going to put Long and Sudge up top together as he mentioned their link-up play for the goal in a post-match interview. He also claimed that Phil Bill was his MoM.

Assuming he sticks with a 3/5 at the back, I can see him playing a 3-5-2 (aka 5-3-2) with two central midfielders and a No.10 to play off the strikers.

Here's my usual matchday prediction (I'm quite proud of my record so far - I'm sure Woody's a Vital member!)

Begovic
Mepham CCV Kelly
Smith Pearson Lerma Stanislas
Billing
Long Surridge

Bench: Travers, Rico, Zemura, Cook, Wilshere, Kilkenny, Danjuma, Riquelme, Anthony

As always, keep smiling and Uppa' Chez :utc:

The big question will be what formation will Woodgate play in his first match in permanent charge of the boys.

I reckon he's going to put Long and Sudge up top together as he mentioned their link-up play for the goal in a post-match interview. He also claimed that Phil Bill was his MoM.

Assuming he sticks with a 3/5 at the back, I can see him playing a 3-5-2 (aka 5-3-2) with two central midfielders and a No.10 to play off the strikers.

Here's my usual matchday prediction (I'm quite proud of my record so far - I'm sure Woody's a Vital member!)

Begovic
Mepham CCV Kelly
Smith Pearson Lerma Stanislas
Billing
Long Surridge

Bench: Travers, Rico, Zemura, Cook, Wilshere, Kilkenny, Danjuma, Riquelme, Anthony

As always, keep smiling and Uppa' Chez :utc:
No Brooks?

No clue on this one.

I would expect him to revert to back 4 and drop Mepham, restore Rico but equally if he wants to start Surridge and Long then that's a 3-5-2.

In all scenarios, I can see Long starting so can't see Surridge, Billing, and Wilshere all playing.

If Brooks is out maybe the team and formation hinges on wide right. Either 3 at back with Smith RWB or Stan as right winger.

This team is some way off picking itself. You can make a case to select or drop nearly everyone.

No clue on this one.

I would expect him to revert to back 4 and drop Mepham, restore Rico but equally if he wants to start Surridge and Long then that's a 3-5-2.

In all scenarios, I can see Long starting so can't see Surridge, Billing, and Wilshere all playing.

If Brooks is out maybe the team and formation hinges on wide right. Either 3 at back with Smith RWB or Stan as right winger.

This team is some way off picking itself. You can make a case to select or drop nearly everyone.
Similar to you i think we need 2 guys up top ie surridge and long . That would leave us playing 3-5-2 as we can’t play 442 as we have too many midfielders .
Too many of our front players want to drop deep for the ball
If playing wingbacks I think stan is our best right wing back as his delivery is superb

If we are to play with a 3 then...
........................Bego
.............CCV........Kelly......Rico
Smith.......Pearson.....Lerma.....Zemura
..........................STAN
..............Surridge........Danjuma

Or preferably.....
...........................Bego
.....Smith.....CCV.....Kelly.......Rico
.............Pearson........Lerma
...........Billing.....STAN......Danjuma
.........................Surridge

How many chances has the superb delivery created from corners and free kicks.
Much of the superb delivery is backwards and sideways.

Time for the match winners to show up and deliver.
Well his superb delivery created our only goal on Saturday tbf......tbh I find it odd that you would want to criticise the one player that has turned up and delivered this season.

;