AFC Bournemouth v Coventry City

billythekid

UTC Legend
Hat-trick Of Home Wins On The Trot?

The Cherries recorded their second sequence of winning three games in a row this season with the 0-2 victory away at Ewood Park, Blackburn. This time our man in charge was Jonathan Woodgate, but previously back in November Jason Tindall was boss. These results have come at a critical time in our season and has the play-off places being separated by just 5 points between five teams, including AFCB in 7th place. Our side have been grinding out results, though not playing at their best at times.

Now with seven games left to play our next game is back home at Dean Court on Saturday at 3 pm with our visitors from the West Midlands, Coventry City. They come on the back of a 3-1 home win over Bristol City, this was their eighth win at home this season out of ten wins in the Championship. They sit in 11th place in the home table league, having won 8, drawn 7 and lost 5.

Away from home they are bottom of the league, having won 2, drawn 5, lost 12. In their last six away games, the Sky Blues have drawn 1-1 with Birmingham City, lost in Wales 3-1 against Cardiff City and 1-0 at Swansea. Drew 1-1 with Blackburn Rovers, lost 2-0 against Luton Town and their last game 3-0 in London against QPR. In the Championship Table after 39 games the Sky Blues are in 20th place with 42 points.

It would help our play-off ambitions to get a hat-trick of home wins on the trot and AFCB’s fourth win on the bounce in the league against a side with only two away wins this season, the last back at the beginning of January.

The last time we played Coventry City at Dean Court was in League 1 in February 2013, City won 0-2.

AFCB league results at home against Coventry City have resulted in W 9, D 7, L 6.

All competitions, AFCB have W 17, D 10, L23.

AFCB Team News
Junior Stanislas missed the Blackburn game due to illness, otherwise except for Lewis Cook we have a strong squad available.

AFCB Player To Watch
Since he has played further forward in the last 5 games, Philip Billing has scored in each of his last three league games, his total goals so far this season is 6 goals. Our other player is Arnaut Danjuma, in his last 5 games he has scored 4 goals and assisted 3 goals.

Coventry City Team News
They have a few injuries, recent ones have been defenders Michael Rose, Dom Hyam and Fankaty Dabo. All three played in AFCB’s away game, with Rose coming on as a 45th minute substitution.

Coventry Player To Watch
Callum O’Hare, their attacking midfield player who has scored 2 goals and has 6 assists.

Last edited:
Remember that 0-2 defeat last time at home - absolutely battered them but we ended up losing. Just shows can never take any win for granted.

Anything but a win would be a huge let down -just as we are putting pressure on the teams above.

Updated injury news.

David Brooks' match fitness is continuing to build while Junior Stanislas will be assessed on his readiness ahead of the weekend match with Coventry City.

Stanislas missed the away win at Blackburn Rovers on Monday due to illness, having been substituted early in the Good Friday match with Middlesbrough.
Speaking to the media ahead of the visit of the Sky Blues, Jonathan Woodgate spoke about the injury situation in his squad, starting with Stanislas.
"We're going to assess Junior, he hasn't been well," said the head coach. "He's been working with the physio so we'll see what he's like today, it might come too soon tomorrow, I'm not too sure.

"Junior's one of those who wants to play constantly, he's like that, so we'll see how he is."

Brooks played his first minutes since April at Ewood Park, with Woodgate speaking on the building fitness of his player, who he says will be available again on Saturday.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/team-news-brooks-stanislas-latest/

Put in a good performance last time we played them this season but I have a bad feeling Coventry could be a banana skin game! If the players keep focused and play as a team this should be another 3 points towards the play-offs. :utc:

They beat us 4-0 in The League Cup many years ago.We hardly had the ball.
A couple of their players came in the supporters club after the game waving 4 fingers at us.
I think David Speedie was one of them.
I remember that, 88-89 season. It was the first leg of a League Cup tie, they were a big side then. I think we had a few players out with a sickness bug and they murdered us. A load of us had been planning on a good away day at Coventry but there was no point after that home leg.
Speedie did play - little git.

They beat us 4-0 in The League Cup many years ago.We hardly had the ball.
A couple of their players came in the supporters club after the game waving 4 fingers at us.
I think David Speedie was one of them.
Was that the 88-89 season ? Evening game - we had a flu bug through the team I seem to remember- anyway we were awful and fully 4-0 worse than them !

Updated injury news.

David Brooks' match fitness is continuing to build while Junior Stanislas will be assessed on his readiness ahead of the weekend match with Coventry City.

Stanislas missed the away win at Blackburn Rovers on Monday due to illness, having been substituted early in the Good Friday match with Middlesbrough.
Speaking to the media ahead of the visit of the Sky Blues, Jonathan Woodgate spoke about the injury situation in his squad, starting with Stanislas.
"We're going to assess Junior, he hasn't been well," said the head coach. "He's been working with the physio so we'll see what he's like today, it might come too soon tomorrow, I'm not too sure.

"Junior's one of those who wants to play constantly, he's like that, so we'll see how he is."

Brooks played his first minutes since April at Ewood Park, with Woodgate speaking on the building fitness of his player, who he says will be available again on Saturday.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/team-news-brooks-stanislas-latest/

No point risking junior given we then have 4 games in 14 days.

I remember that, 88-89 season. It was the first leg of a League Cup tie, they were a big side then. I think we had a few players out with a sickness bug and they murdered us. A load of us had been planning on a good away day at Coventry but there was no point after that home leg.
Speedie did play - little git.

A few of us went anyway just because it was a new ground. Lost 3-1, but at least we scored, it was an entertaining evening and there was some banter with Steve Ogrizovic.

A few of us went anyway just because it was a new ground. Lost 3-1, but at least we scored, it was an entertaining evening and there was some banter with Steve Ogrizovic.
I was there. Missed the 1st leg as was away at Uni but took the opportunity to double up with the game followed by a visit to a "girlfriend" at Cov Poly. Crap game and she forgot I was coming so pretty rubbish night all around....but hey ho all part of the AFCB experience

A decent win will move us nicely into a play-off place after the Biscuits were crushed last night. In fact if Boro beat Barnsley we go 5th on GD.
:utc::utc::utc:

"If ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no need of tinkers", as my mum used to say. God alone knows how many generations ago that was coined.

Interesting that CCV has signed an extension to his deal at Spurs, hence there will be a fee involved now.

Edit. Sorry. :grinning:

Last edited:

;