AFC Bournemouth v Forest Green Rovers - League Cup

billythekid

UTC Legend
First Cup Game Of The Season

After the home defeat against Manchester City, the Cherries have a break from league football and enter the cup for the first time this season. They have drawn League 2 Forest Green Rovers (FGR) in the Football League Cup (EFL) at home at Dean Court on Wednesday night 7.45 pm. FGR beat Charlton in the first round away at the Valley in a penalty shootout after the game ending 0-0.

In 2015 Forest Green Rovers went completely vegan as a football club (recognised by FIFA and UEFA as the world’s greenest football club), the first and still the only certified vegan team in the world. Their owner is the founder of Ecotricity Dale Vince, he got involved with Forest Green Rovers in 2010.

FGR have further extended their green credentials by playing in a kit made of 50% bamboo and their manufacturers plan to increase this content to a kit wholly made of bamboo in the future. Their kit of green and black zebra stripes bears three stars: the first star is filled in meaning they attained their ambition to get into the football league, second and third ones yet to be filled in would take them to League 1 and the Championship. Their away kit, again black zebra striped on a dark charcoal background.

Forest Green Rovers manager is Mark Cooper, son of the former Leeds and England player Terry Cooper. Mark Cooper joined FGR in May 2016, in his first season in charge of his new club they were promoted from Non League, up into the Football League (League 2) for the first time. They beat Tranmere Rovers 1-3 in the Football Conference play-off final at the end of the 2016-17 season. In his first season (2017-18) in League 2 ,FGR finished in 21st place, narrowly missing relegation back where they came from. The following season (2018-19) things improved and Cooper’s team reached the play-offs, only to go out in the semi-finals to Tranmere Rovers (the team they beat to get into the Football League back in 2016-17). This season (2019-20) after 5 games Forest Green are in third place.

AFCB Team News
This is usually when Eddie rings the changes and he will have in mind our game at Leicester in only a few days time. So we will probably see some of our up and coming younger players given a chance. With a stronger than normal squad this season Eddie Howe will be able to field a strong team that should get us into the next round of this cup. Also with Lewis Cook resuming training after an injury layoff, will we see him on the bench? One player who will not be available is Charlie Daniels who was taken off injured in the game against Manchester City.

AFCB Player To Watch
From some good pre season games, Gavin Kilkenny in midfield will be out to impress his manager.

FGR Team News
Would expect them to put out a strong team against us.

FGR Player To Watch
In the league FGR have scored 5 goals, Joseph Mills has scored 3 of them. He is the younger brother of Matt Mills who also plays for FGR and was once on loan to AFCB for a short spell. Matt Mills was sent off after two yellow cards in their last league match.

A glance at their forum reveals they put out a second-string side in the First Round, so you'd expect them to do the same again.

Just discovered that DAZN will not be showing this match. Their claim of providing "every Carabao Cup match" is clearly the stuff of marketing! Their answer, not unreasonably, is that there is no telecast from DC to pass along.
Does anyone know if there will be an audio broadcast on the club site?

I'd like/expect something along the lines of
Boruc
Stacey Cook(c) Simpson Rico
Ofoborh Surman
H.Wilson Ibe Kilkenny
Solanke
Ramsdale, Smith, Mepham, Billing, Dobre, C.Wilson

I'd like/expect something along the lines of
Boruc
Stacey Cook(c) Simpson Rico
Ofoborh Surman
H.Wilson Ibe Kilkenny
Solanke
Ramsdale, Smith, Mepham, Billing, Dobre, C.Wilson
No chance Steve Cook will play. He’s struggling with his ongoing groin injury. Kris Temple been saying for a while it’s being ‘managed’. He didn’t look too bad on Sunday but could barely move at Villa. He certainly won’t be playing 3 games in 6 days.

Forest Greens bringing their version of Tinpot to DC .. a bit like a trip to Mecca....plucky little club.
We pat them on the head... let them 'bamboo'zle us .... ship them a cartful of goals and send them merrily on their Wembley way........unless Eddies been to see Baldrick to get help devising a Cunning Plan !

...hopefully;

Boruc

Stacey
Simpson
Mepham
Rico

Ibe
Surman (c)
Ofoborh
Kilkenny

H.Wilson
Solanke

Travers/Dobre/King/Billing/C.Wilson/Taylor/Jordan

no way harry wilson will play!
My reason for sticking him in is that, for all his shooting magic, I think he needs more game-time to get into Eddie's patterns of open-play. I don't think he's quite up to speed on that yet, and more minutes on the pitch will hopefully help (even in a changed side). And with all due respect to FGR's keeper (or even their backup keeper), I would also bet that against a slightly lesser keeper than Heaton / Ederson, a few H.Wilson shots would give him a chance of continuing this goal-a-game run, which only builds confidence. He played about 50 minutes against City, give him an hour or so tomorrow and he should still be fresh enough to participate against Leicester.

Is Stacey injured? I don't recall him being on the bench in any of our PL games yet :unsure:

I wonder who’ll be starting in goal? You’d think Boruc but maybe he’ll go with Travers to give him some game time?

...hopefully;

Boruc

Stacey
Simpson
Mepham
Rico

Ibe
Surman (c)
Ofoborh
Kilkenny

H.Wilson
Solanke

Travers/Dobre/King/Billing/C.Wilson/Taylor/Jordan

Wilson won’t start but Dobre will on the wing I’m guessing with Ibe up front with Solanke

I'd go with this 4-4-2 presuming L.Cook, Francis & Stanislas are still not fit.

Boruc
Stacey Simpson Mepham Rico
Ibe Surman Oforboh Kilkenny
Solanke Dobre

;