AFC Bournemouth v Huddersfield Town

A big game in the context of our season. A win keeps our better than par points total ticking over, keeps us top half, and will help spirits high irrespective of our recent run of defeats. Anything else will leave spirits low and make the run of narrow credible defeats hurt all the more.

Huddersfield look much improved from their early season form, will be well organised, and will fight for everything. We have to first match that fight if we want our quality to show through.

It's a night game under the lights, let's get some of that old fashioned evening atmosphere back please.

Let’s Get Back To Winning Ways

After a tough game at Manchester City where the lads were beaten 3-1. AFCB put up a good performance, also having a good shout for a penalty ignored. Cherries next game is back at Dean Court on Tuesday night at 7.45 pm. After losing their last four games, including two at home, they will want to get back to winning ways when they face Huddersfield Town. Huddersfield ‘s nickname is The Terriers with a Yorkshire terrier incorporated on their badge and shirt, all because of a show dog called Ben (1865 - 1871) who was first one of the breed and came from Huddersfield. They called him Huddersfield Ben.

The Terrier’s were on a good run of results, before their 1-2 home defeat against Brighton, which they played most of the game with 10 men. After being promoted via the play-offs at the end of the 2016-17 season, Huddersfield survived their first season in the Premier League, finishing in 16th place, with AFCB 12th. At the same stage last season after 14 games, Huddersfield were in 14th place on 15 points, AFCB were one place lower and 1 point less.

The Huddersfield manager David Wagner has been 3 years in charge. This Summer his club signed nine new players, eight permanently and one on loan.
Terence Kongolo the Dutch defender on a permanent deal from Monaco for a club record fee of around £17.5 million.
Another signing from Monaco is French striker Adama Diakhaby for an undisclosed fee.
Winger Ramadan Sobhi the Egypt international has signed from Stoke City for an undisclosed fee.
Goalkeeper Ben Hamer from Leicester on a free transfer.
Dutch midfielder Juninho Bacuna from FC Groningen for an undisclosed fee.
Germany international defender Erik Durm from Borussia Dortmund for an undisclosed fee.
Swiss international defender Florent Hadergjonaj from FC Ingolstadt 04 for £4.5 million.
Denmark international goalkeeper Jonas Lossl for an undisclosed fee from Mainz.
Winger Isaac Mbenza on a season-long loan from Montpellier.

Huddersfield had a tough start in their second season in the Premier League against two of the top sides. First game was at home against Chelsea, they went down 0-3. Even harder was their first away visit to play last seasons Champions Manchester City, they were beaten 6-1. The last game in August was home against Cardiff City, the game was a 0-0 draw and first point for Huddersfield. They started off September away at Everton, this game also ended in a draw, this time 1-1. It was downhill for the rest of the month, with three defeats. Losing at home 0-1 against Crystal Palace, then away at Leicester City 3-1. Last game of the month was at home against Spurs, they lost 0-2. The start of October Huddersfield drew 1-1 away against Burnley. This was followed with another top side visiting them in Liverpool, it ended in a 0-1 defeat. Last game of October saw them go down 3-0 away at Watford. November saw an upturn in Huddersfield’s fortunes with a 1-0 home win against Fulham, followed with a 1-1 home draw against West Ham. They finished the month on a high, with a 0-2 victory at Wolves. Start of December wasn’t so good and at home the Terriers went down 1-2 against Brighton. As mentioned earlier Huddersfield lost Mounie who received a red card in the first half with Huddersfield leading 1-0. Going into the game at Dean Court Huddersfield are in 17th position on 10 points, eight places behind the Cherries with 20 points.

Our results last season against Huddersfield in the Premier League, started with a 4-0 home win, a hat-trick from Callum Wilson who had only at the time just returned from a bad injury, the other goal coming from Harry Arter. The Cherries were 2-0 up going in at half-time, but lost Simon Francis who received a second yellow right on half-time. The away game saw Huddersfield gain revenge with 4-1 victory, our goal coming from Junior Stanislas. The MOM that day was Steve Mounie, he won’t give us any problems on Tuesday night, unless they win their appeal.
In our games at home in the league against Huddersfield, AFCB have Won 9, Drawn 7, Lost 8.
In all competitions AFCB have Won 14, Drawn 19 and Lost 18.

AFCB Team News
Jefferson Lerma is available again after his one match ban. Dan Gosling missed the Manchester City game with a knee injury and is going to have a scan. According to Eddie Howe we have one or two players with niggles, we will see how they are. On a positive note, Tyrone Mings who came in against Manchester City had a good game, so Eddie has food for thought who plays on Tuesday night.

AFCB Player To Watch
Callum Wilson. Excellent headed equaliser against Manchester City and is playing well. Has 7 goals and 4 assists in the league this season. Five of Callum’s goals have been away from Dean Court.

Huddersfield Team News
Steve Mounie misses the game after getting a red against Brighton on Saturday, though an appeal has gone in. Alex Pritchard got a knock against Brighton on Saturday. Laurent Depoitre will start according to David Wagner. Chris Lowe out with shoulder injury.

Huddersfield Player To Watch
Aaron Mooy, their Australian midfield player. Had a very good game away against Wolves recently. Is joint leading scorer with 2 goals out of 9 scored. Seems to take their set pieces and also has a strong shot from distance.

Huddersfield don't appear to have appealed Mounie's red card so he will miss the game.

They have, see above..

Also from today’s David Wagner press conference.

Huddersfield Examiner

Yeah, we appealed it, of course.

We hope to get back something today.

If we are successful with our appeal, we will see.

After all the video footage, I still have the same opinion I had immediately after the game.

Last edited:
...hopefully a crisp Tuesday evening of exciting football...with a home win...

team for me should be;

BEGOVIC

FRANCIS
COOK
AKE
RICO

BROOKS
LERMA
COOK
FRASER

KING
WILSON

snubs; MINGS/BORUC/MOUSSET/DEFOE/STANISLAS/DANIELS & SURMAN

...hopefully a crisp Tuesday evening of exciting football...with a home win...

team for me should be;

BEGOVIC

FRANCIS
COOK
AKE
RICO

BROOKS
LERMA
COOK
FRASER

KING
WILSON

snubs; MINGS/BORUC/MOUSSET/DEFOE/STANISLAS/DANIELS & SURMAN

Why Rico instead of Mings or Daniels?

------------Begovic------------
-----S. Cook--Ake--Mings-----
Francis---L. Cook---Lerma---Rico
Brooks-------Wilson-------Fraser

Subs: Boruc, Daniels, Surman, Ibe, Stanislas, Mousset, King

Mings deserves to keep his place; not confident in Francis playing two games in such quick succession, can't have him out injured, but we don't have much choice. Rico deserves a chance and Daniels could do with a break. Rico and Fraser looked like having a good partnership before Rico had one bad game and was put in the reserves :throw:

I think a flat back three would work quite well, if you use Francis and Rico as essentially being wide midfielders. Go all out offensive at home, "under the lights". Don't think Huddersfield have much threat out on the wings either. Smash 'em.

BEGO

FRANNO COOKIE AKE DANIELS

BROOKS STAN LERMA FRASER

KING
WILSON

I knew i'd be able to find a slot for Stan...:D...easy this formation lark.

He's still the best passer of the ball we have ...can't tackle obviously but then again neither can Cook or Surman.....Giggs managed the transition from winger to midfield maestro.....why not Stan?

Although my heart tells me an AFCB win my head is telling me a 1-1 or 2-2 draw when the recent form and performances of both sides is taken into account.

Can anyone remember us winning 1-0 at the old DC? I have a feeling that it was a Sidebottom own goal. Or am my dreaming again!

I remember one match that might be the one. Played in winter because damp, misty and dark by the end. We were attacking the South End in the second half of a match when not much had happened. Then a Huddersfield player was sent off for a foul a bit outside the area. Cue much arguing and remonstrating with the referee from the visiting team. After a delay, in comes the free kick and a big Huddersfield player rises above everyone to head into his own goal through the gloom. Great entertainment by the standards of the time.

The seventies for sure, but no idea of the exact year.

;