AFC Bournemouth v Liverpool

billythekid

UTC Legend
Lee Mason is the referee.

We had him away at Chelsea and home in the League Cup against Norwich City.

He is the referee tonight at the Everton v Newcastle U game.

Last edited:
Lee Mason?...we will need to mark him!

Another dingo ref...

Begovic then...

...hopefully Mings will feature in a back three (Ake/Cook/Mings)

Central five of (Brooks/Cook/Lerma/Surman/Fraser)

Wilson & King up top..

Boruc/Mousset/Stanislas/Rico/Franno/Defoe & Ibe

I think we should go into this battle against what I would say is an overrated side... by expecting a win! This is where we are ...anything else indicates Fear.....and when you have that you invite trouble!
Too many teams are standing in front of them like Lambs holding a bottle of Mint Sauce ! At em n Up em!

Last edited:
Liverpool Yet To Lose

After four straight defeats, the Cherries reversed the trend with a win against a very determined Huddersfield Town and were lucky to take all 3 points. After the midweek games, AFCB are in 7th place on 23 points. This Saturday AFCB are home again, this time with another early kick-off at 12.30 pm against Liverpool, which is being shown again live on Sky.
These two sides when they meet each other at Dean Court have provided 14 goals in 3 matches, no wonder Sky are back again. Last weekend in the Liverpool derby the cameras caught Jurgen Klopp the Liverpool manager running on the pitch after his side had scored a late winner. He immediately apologised, was charged by the FA, which Klopp accepted and he received a fine. We will see his charismatic figure on the touchline on Saturday.

Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool made five signings in the Summer. They paid Roma £67 million for Brazil international goalkeeper Allison Becker, at the time he was the world’s most expensive goalkeeper. This was surpassed later with Chelsea paying £71.6 million for Kepa Arrizabalaga.
Midfielder Naby Keita signed from Leipzig for £52.75 million.
Brazil international midfielder Fabinho for £43.7 million from Monaco.
Xherdan Shaqiri the Swiss international midfielder from Stoke for £13.5 million.
They also signed Chelsea’s 20-year-old Isaac Christie-Davies after the midfielder’s contract finished.

Liverpool have had a good start this season and sit in 2nd place and 2 points behind leaders Manchester City. These two sides are starting to set a gap with Spurs 6 points behind in 3rd spot.
Liverpool won their first 6 matches, these were against West Ham at Anfield 4-0. Away at Crystal Palace 0-2. Home against Brighton, winning 1-0. Liverpool’s first two games in September were away, both ending in wins. Leicester City 1-2 and Spurs 1-2. Then back at Anfield they beat Southampton 3-0, the last game of the month was away against Chelsea, it ended even in a 1-1 draw. Into October and it was back to Anfield and the visitors were Manchester City, the game ended in a 0-0 draw. It was Liverpool and Manchester City’s first game without a goal. Liverpool’s next game was away to our Tuesday night visitors Huddersfield Town, Liverpool won 0-1. At the end of the month Liverpool beat Cardiff City at Anfield 4-1, it was their highest number of goals scored so far this season. Beginning of November, Liverpool were back on their travels, this time to the Emirates Stadium to play Arsenal, it finished in a 1-1 draw. The next two games ended in Liverpool wins, first at home to Fulham, finishing 2-0 and then beating Watford away 0-3. Sunday they were home against their neighbours Everton, Liverpool won 1-0 with an injury time goal. Wednesday night they were away at Turf Moor against Burnley and won 1-3 with a team with a number of changes.
With the win at Burnley, Liverpool have set a new club record for most points gained from the opening 15 games of a league season. Liverpool have yet to lose this season.

Liverpool have scored 15 and conceded 1 goal at home. Away scored 15 and conceded 5.
AFCB have scored 14 and conceded 10 at home. Away scored 11 and conceded 12.

In our first two seasons in the Premier League we have had close games with Liverpool home and away. At Dean Court in our first season losing 1-2, late first half goals from Firmino and Sturridge had Liverpool leading at the interval 0-2. A late injury time goal by Josh King in the second half made it 1-2. The MOM that day was the young Liverpool player Jordan Ibe, he provided both Liverpool assists.
The game at Anfield ended 1-0. In the 2016-17 season, we had ‘that’ game, with the Cherries winning 4-3, Jordan Ibe signed in the Summer for at that time a club record fee, came on for us at the start of that memorable second half. Away at Liverpool the game ended 2-2. Last season at Dean Court the game was dominated by Liverpool in a 0-4 win. At Anfield we lost 3-0.
Jordan Ibe has played in all the games featuring these two sides. First season he played for Liverpool.
In all competitions against Liverpool, AFCB have Won 1, Drawn 3 and Lost 9.

AFCB Team News
Adam Smith out until next year. Dan Gosling missed both the Manchester City and Huddersfield games with a knee injury.

AFCB Player To Watch
Callum Wilson, scored another good goal on Tuesday night with his head and made the assist for Ryan Fraser, this makes 8 goals and 5 assists so far in the league. AFCB will be up against the best defence so far in the Premier League. Ryan Fraser has 4 goals and 7 assists.

Liverpool Team News
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain out with an ACL knee injury. Dominic Solanke out with a groin strain. Sadio Mane and Andrew Robertson not in squad at Burnley. Mane out with a bad cut on his foot and needed stitches, Robertson has a dead leg. Nathaniel Clyne has a knock. D J Lovren has been out ill. Joe Gomez went off with an ankle injury in the 23rd minute in the game against Burnley.

Liverpool Player To Watch
Last season Mohamed Salah was the outstanding player, in his first season in the Premier League in 36 appearances he scored 32 times. At this stage last season he had scored 13 goals. So far this season he has put 7 away and has 4 assists. Roberto Firmino has to be another player to watch.
With Jurgen Klopp ringing the changes for the Burnley game, 23-year-old Naby Keita one of the Summer signings started the game and impressed those watching with his performance in centre midfield.

Unfortunately, this is another game against top six opposition that we are very unlikely to get anything from. All we can hope for is to put in an assured performance and see where that takes us. I feel that we will play a lot better than we did against Huddersfield as Liverpool will let us play. Huddersfiled approached the game differently with their numerous six footers and pumping balls into the box. Liverpools approach will be far different.
Wolves is the next game where we must take something from.

Good morning Mr Smhinto. I posted a note on the Huddersfield match thread that perhaps you didn't read. I recall contributions under your name on the Echo comments section that I gave up looking at as the phone box/fight scenario from an obvious non attendee at games became negative. Assuming you still live in Lincoln what is your connection to AFC Bournemouth and the area as you are such an expert?

Good morning Mr Smhinto. I posted a note on the Huddersfield match thread that perhaps you didn't read. I recall contributions under your name on the Echo comments section that I gave up looking at as the phone box/fight scenario from an obvious non attendee at games became negative. Assuming you still live in Lincoln what is your connection to AFC Bournemouth and the area as you are such an expert?

Good morning to you too. I can only assume that your uncalled for caustic tone in your post indicates that you are trying to incite unnessessary verbal confrontation for no apparent reason. There is nothing wrong with negative comments should I have made one. I do attend a number of away games. Bournemouth is too far away to attend home games and as we all know unless one is a season ticket holder attending home games is impossible. I have made a perfectly reasonable comment above. Why do you believe that I am an expert. I have the right to comment on topics concerning AFC Bournemouth (my home town club) as much as you have and our areas of residence has nothing to do with any criteria to post. Good day to you.

Much as I disagree with Smhinto’s constant negativity, he does have a point. Many fans move away to other areas and only go to a few away games. Doesn’t lessen their loyalty or right to express an opinion.

are smhinto and mr.logic from viz the same person?!

Reactions: drd
When at time some of our fans express negativity about our club, I decided to look for a neutral point of view re the club we love and support, some of us for over 60 years. We have seen the very dark times and also and especially in the last few years the very good times.

Found this post from a Liverpool fan who was at Uni here for a few years.

It is a very good and positive and worth a read from a neutral point of view.

I mentioned David re Goliath in the Match Day build up v Manchester City, this poster also mentions the difference between us and the Giants of the Premier League. See below and on link. The post then goes on to praise Eddie Howe.

Bournemouth. Home to old people, deckchairs, two piers, and 7 miles of sandy beaches. It’s the UK town where the Beatles played their most concerts, where the sun shines for 7.7 hours a day, and 30,000 ice creams are sold over a busy weekend. Flake anyone?

I wanted to preview this match not just because I spent 3 great years at University there, but because I’ve admired Bournemouth for a long time - a proper club with proper values, run in the proper way. Some of you may already know the fairytale story of their rise through the divisions, which is a rag to riches story almost unrivaled in world football. However, it’s worth remembering just how improbable it once was that we'd even be playing them in any competition other than the FA cup. In a world of inflated transfer fees, FFP, social media, and the other negative aspects of the game we love, I think this is a story worth repeating.

Originally the Boscombe St Johns Institute Football club in 1890, the club went through various iterations before becoming AFC Bournemouth - a name some suggested was only to ensure they topped the league at the start of each season, and were the first in alphabetical lists of English clubs. They’re nicknamed the cherries, which I was disappointed to find has nothing to do with only fielding a team of virgins, but more linked to their red and black kit and their earliest ground being built next to a cherry orchard. Their modern history also includes a triffic stint in the old second division under a young Harry Redknapp, when they knocked holders Man Utd out of the FA cup with a famous 2-0 home win. However, despite winning promotion to the old second tier in 1987 and some promising signs of a challenge for promotion to the big time, they eventually finished 12th. They were also managed for two seasons by ex-Liverpool assistant manager Sean O’Driscoll, whose rollercoaster ride took them to the playoffs in 2000 (his first season), relegated the next, then followed by playoffs and promotion the season after. However, two seasons later and they’d be relegated, beginning a gradual decline that ended with the club being forced into administration in 2008.

Despite some boardroom reshuffles and investment, the club continued to struggle and quickly went through two managers by Christmas, having started the 2008/9 season with a 17-point deficit awarded by the Football League for going bankrupt. Against this backdrop of financial ruin and chaos, imagine having to win six games just to get past zero points, and becoming a new manager mid-season. Then imagine doing this for your own club, who are 10 points adrift at the bottom of League Two. Relegation from the Football League was looming, and Bournemouth needed a miracle.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341644.0

Last para from the above post.

I didn't intend for this to sound like a Bournemouth love-in (or to be quite so long – sorry), but I genuinely can’t think of anything about them that’s not to like, and even when they beat us I still had a nagging respect for them for doing so. For me they epitomise the game we all love so much - a local club with a loyal fan base that has stuck to its principles, and that’s been able to rise up the leagues though a combination of great management, astute transfer dealings, togetherness, and sheer hard work. They’re my favourite non-LFC team by some distance.

I'm not writing off this match. Liverpool are not the dynamic outfit of last season: we're much improved. Wilson, King and Fraser can score against anyone and the LFC attack has been spluttering in recent weeks: Salah in particular has been missing some sitters. Van Dijk is in superb form but Lovren is always likely to miss an interception.

Main worry: either of our FBs v Salah and Robertson. Even though Salah has been under-performing he can snap into form at any time - and his goal at DC last season was a wonder. If - IF - we can function in midfield and get the ball to Callum and Co we could get something on Saturday.

;