AFC Bournemouth v Manchester City

Did he put up a fight?

Don’t know, I was over 100 miles away. Well he did something on ‘Boxing Day’. He seems to have some stamina as well reading this.

On Boxing Day morning, referee Andre Marriner got into his car and drove 100 miles from his home in Sheldon, Birmingham to a hotel close to Vicarage Road where he was fourth official for the Watford vs Leicester match. Partly for security reasons referees are warned off driving their own cars to matches, and are instead chauffeured along with their assistants from the hotel to the stadium. One can only imagine that these journeys are joke-free affairs, with no backchat and the seat-belt rule strictly enforced.

Once Marriner, 47, had blown the final whistle at Vicarage Road, and completed his post-match duties - which includes performance analysis with a Premier League delegate and sometimes a discussion with an angry manager - at around 7pm, he was dropped off back at the hotel. At this point, he made the four-and-a-half hour, 267-mile drive up towards St James' Park where he was refereeing the Newcastle vs Manchester City match the following night.

Leaving the north east at around midnight the next evening after City's 1-0 win, Marriner then headed back to the Midlands where he arrived home in the early hours of December 28.

Having had a couple of days off, Marriner was back at work again on December 30, embarking on the 312-mile, almost six-hour round trip to the Vitality Stadium where he was fourth official for Bournemouth vs Everton. Two days later, Marriner was in charge of Everton's home match against Manchester United, which required a 212-mile, five-hour round trip to Goodison Park.

In the space of less than a week, Marriner covered 1,101-miles (around 20 hours in a car), which is longer than the distance from London to Madrid. Other Premier League referees travelled even further during the festive period, and most made or were close to the 1,000-mile mark.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...avelled-1101-miles-seven-days-festive-period/

I took Olivia to that game, unfortunately she was sweet (from afar) on Jamie Hayter and I was off to Bosnia

That is some optimism!

I had a similar feeling before Villa.

1566363885258.png

Of the big six, it's Man City's turn.

Also, being pointless for home matches until the very end of last season, I haven't seen many since we reached the First Division, but my record is watched 9 won 7 drawn 1 lost 1 and that includes wins over Arsenal, Spurs and the Scummers. So not a bad record and, yes, I am going on Sunday.

Need to balance up all those big losses in Manchester.

I have a feeling that this Sunday is our opportunity to grab three points.
So do I, it just feels different this season.

Last season, was the first we started when I really didn't think we would be troubled in the slightest with the bottom three. Of course, our start was tremendous, but you felt that run of games would be hard. I still think we would have comfortably finished top ten, with better decisions and less injuries.

This season, the squad has improved significantly. Even with the seven injuries, it is hard to predict the line up, as there is still a great selection of fit players, which should only improve, over the next couple of months.

So I am hoping and expecting for a performance much more akin to two seasons ago, rather than last, and lets see what happens.

Either way, it's still a free hit.

Last edited:

View attachment 2142

Also, being pointless for home matches until the very end of last season, I haven't seen many since we reached the First Division, but my record is watched 9 won 7 drawn 1 lost 1 and that includes wins over Arsenal, Spurs and the Scummers. So not a bad record and, yes, I am going on Sunday.

9+ goals (for) should do it.

View attachment 2142

Well we have absolutely no idea how to deal with Kevin De Bruyne who appears to have the freedom of the pitch v us - and if he plays like he did on Saturday......

I assumed our home record against City was pretty awful, but looking back at our results its actually not been too bad. Only been a couple of goals in the last 3 matches; and there's the classic one where the referees clearly wanted a last minute City equaliser.

I assumed our home record against City was pretty awful, but looking back at our results its actually not been too bad. Only been a couple of goals in the last 3 matches; and there's the classic one where the referees clearly wanted a last minute City equaliser.

Sterling scored the winner and then shortly after was sent off for running to the fans in what could be ‘over celebrating’.

;