AFC Bournemouth v Millwall

billythekid

UTC Legend
Back Home Again In The Championship

The Cherries are back home in the rearranged game with Millwall (the Lions) the visitors to Dean Court on Tuesday night. This is AFCB first Championship game at home after three consecutive away games. Millwall are another side from our Championship winning season. They are in 17th position in the table on 25 points, 15 points taken away from home.

The Lions manager is Gary Rowett. He joined Millwall after Millwall legend Neil Harris, who is still the clubs leading goal scorer and later became their manager, quit. Just over a month later Harris became the Cardiff manager, where he is still today. Gary Rowett was previous manager at Stoke City. Millwall signed one player midfielder Mason Bennett from Derby County for an undisclosed fee. They also brought in four players on loan. Our old player defender Scott Malone from Derby County, midfielder Ryan Woods from Stoke City, forwards Troy Parrott from Spurs and Kenneth Zohore from West Brom.

Millwall in their 21 games have drawn ten of them and have drawn the most in the Championship this season so far. In their away games they have beaten Rotherham United 0-1, Wycombe Wanderers 1-2 and both Preston N E and Bristol City 0-2. They have drawn with Norwich City, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham City 0-0. Millwall lost both at Swansea City and Blackburn Rovers 2-1 and Middlesbrough 3-0. At home they have W 1, D 7, L 3.

The last time our two teams met in the league at Dean Court was in November 2014 when the game ended in a 2-2 draw. AFCB scorers were Steve Cook and Brett Pitman in a three minute spell in the first half, they came back with two goals in the second half.

In all our home league games against Millwall, AFCB have W 17, D 8, L 10.
All competitions home and away, AFCB have W 27, D 12, L 38.

AFCB Team News
It was good to see Jack Stacey and Cameron Carter-Vickers involved in the Oldham game. Missing were still Arnaut Danjuma and Chris Mepham, Lloyd Kelly picked up a late injury so was not involved.

AFCB Player To Watch
Dominic Solanke, 9 league goals and 4 assists. In the last 11 games, has been scoring roughly in every other game, 7 in total, of which 4 were at home, a brace against both Reading and Huddersfield Town.

Millwall Team News
On the injury front, Connor Mahoney and Billy Mitchell have been missing.

Millwall Player To Watch
Tom Bradshaw has been on the score sheet in two of their last three league games. Jed Wallace is leading scorer with 6 goals.

2 winnable home games coming up. 6 , points would be very handy and should be possible if we play to our potential

Notice that Millwall made eight changes for their Cup match with Boreham Wood at the weekend, albeit with a strong bench. So they should be fit and up for it. As with every match in this league it will be a tough challenge.

There are three PL games on Sky tomorrow night, not sure if there are any red button games tomorrow night including ours.

I assume this is because this is a rearranged game so not one of the scheduled Red Button schedule of fixtures

After Saturday, would anyone think that starting with CCV and Cook in the middle of defence would be a good idea?

I definitely would.

:utc:
I have to say that I thought he had an absolutely faultless debut. He was very alert to danger, very composed on the ball and particularly in the second half played some longer slide rule passes out from the back which enabled us to start new attacks.

The thing which impressed me most though was his apparent composure at all times. He looks like he would be a really solid and reliable defender if played.

Whether or not that adds up to a first league start in JT's eyes I have no idea !

After Saturday, would anyone think that starting with CCV and Cook in the middle of defence would be a good idea?

I definitely would.

:utc:

Wouldn't worry me...although i don't think Simpson has done anything to warrant being dropped ......we've one of the best defensive records in the league so i don't think our CB positions need a lot of tampering with tbf.....the lack of an attacking threat from our full backs would be more of a concern .....hopefully Stacey starts with Smithy on the left.

Last edited:
I would say CCV in a back three would make sense, especially with 5 subs. However we then need to be bold with the rest of the formation given how they like to defend and our back three should be solid. I would go with Rico as LCB and Zemura ahead of him with license to bomb on. I would also give Smith the first half with plan to swap him out at half time to get Jack some more minutes.

King Solanke and Stanislas as a front 3, would cause problems. Leaving Brooks to drop into midfield with Lewis at the anchor. We might lose some midfield advantage but if we can get wide, switch play regularly, and then attack the channels, I think we can stretch them from the start.

...my team for Millwall game;

Begovic

Stacey
S Cook
Carter Vickers
Rico

Stanislas
Lerma
L Cook
Brooks

King
Solanke

Snubs.
Dennis/Billing/Surridge/Riquelme/Anthony/Smith/Simpson/Gosling/Oforborh

Millwall play five at the back when away, so would expect JT to match up.

vs Millwall.png

excuse my thickness, do we need to buy a tv match pass, or is it a freebie?

;