AFC Bournemouth v Preston N E

When that ball was pulled back to Billing 10 yards out and he swung that left boot at it, knowing he can hit 'em, a smashing goal flashed before my eyes and I saw the start of some proper form from him.

Then he skied it into row Z, sadly. Did ok otherwise but I do wish he'd assert himself more.

He is a mystery of a player. Looked a world beater on his debut.

Simple explanation. He angled his left foot as though making a pass and side footed over and wide. Why so many players need to side foot a shot is beyond me.

If he had correctly hit it with his instep I doubt the keeper would have saved it.

Simple explanation. He angled his left foot as though making a pass and side footed over and wide. Why so many players need to side foot a shot is beyond me.

If he had correctly hit it with his instep I doubt the keeper would have saved it.
Well Frank de Boer has said in the past that if players side footed more shots from inside the area they would score more goals......think he's got a point tbf.

Well Frank de Boer has said in the past that if players side footed more shots from inside the area they would score more goals......think he's got a point tbf.
Gary Lineker said more players should pass the ball into the net rather than blasting it while SOD once said he’d rather a player blaze it over the bar trying to score than a tame back pass straight at the keeper.

I think the truth is there is a variety of techniques players can use none of which is right or wrong

A ball comes to a player and it sometimes becomes a spur of the moment decision and no time to think how to hit it, especially if you are not a regular goal scorer.

Gary Lineker said more players should pass the ball into the net rather than blasting it while SOD once said he’d rather a player blaze it over the bar trying to score than a tame back pass straight at the keeper.

I think the truth is there is a variety of techniques players can use none of which is right or wrong
Tbf when it comes to scoring goals i think Lineker's opinion carries just a bit more weight than Shaun's !! :p

My issue with what Billing does has never been his passing, interceptions, blocks tackles, heading etc. It’s been about tempo. How quickly he recycles the ball etc.

That to me has been his main issue. He’s excellent to have as the first man defending a corner or set piece. He wins everything in that role. He also showed against Manchester City last season how he could be utilised further advanced as a target.

When he wants to be he’s an excellent central midfielder.
Agree. His best position is definitely when pushed further up the pitch. He should never be anywhere near the anchor role imo.

Not meaning to go OT too much here, but this whole 'Billing' thing is becoming a bit of a mystery to me... He's picked or not picked on how he trains... OK, so he's not playing much so you can instantly get he is behind both L.Cook and Lerma...

However, a quick look at his stats on Saturday and he did no worse than a lot of players... In fact he was pretty much middle of the pack for most things... Mr Surridge, with a decent 30 minute run out, came bottom of the pack with a very disappointing 5.1 (Billing 6.4) yet we still seem desperate for him to play more...

... and when you look at things like the 'errors' column, Billing was quite low down with 10 in 90 minutes, yet the likes of Kelly (a mahoosive 26 errors), Brooks (with an equally large 18), S.Cook (15) Stanislas (14) seem to escape much criticism at all.

https://www.footballcritic.com/cham...c-afc-bournemouth/player-stats/2149373#errors

Don't get me wrong, I do actually think Billing should be behind Lerma and Cook, but I don't see he is as dreadful as some make out on here...
Surridge hasn’t looked up to much whenever he’s played , bar the Man City game ..

Surridge hasn’t looked up to much whenever he’s played , bar the Man City game ..
I feel a bit for Surridge because I don't think our style of attacking play really suits him. Dropping deep, moving the ball wide for cut-ins and through balls etc. Solanke does that.

Surridge would look much better in a side like Rotherham that swing crosses into the box all game. That's why it was a great move from JT to bring Surridge on with Rico last week, Rico being someone who can actually bang in a good cross first time on the run. Though it went to Solanke for the header, that's how to use Surridge.

Swansea also used Surridge wide right in a front 3 last season, so they could hit a diagonal long ball to him, which he'd hold up/knock down in the channel. Again, it's not really our game.

Not meaning to go OT too much here, but this whole 'Billing' thing is becoming a bit of a mystery to me... He's picked or not picked on how he trains... OK, so he's not playing much so you can instantly get he is behind both L.Cook and Lerma...

However, a quick look at his stats on Saturday and he did no worse than a lot of players... In fact he was pretty much middle of the pack for most things... Mr Surridge, with a decent 30 minute run out, came bottom of the pack with a very disappointing 5.1 (Billing 6.4) yet we still seem desperate for him to play more...

... and when you look at things like the 'errors' column, Billing was quite low down with 10 in 90 minutes, yet the likes of Kelly (a mahoosive 26 errors), Brooks (with an equally large 18), S.Cook (15) Stanislas (14) seem to escape much criticism at all.

https://www.footballcritic.com/cham...c-afc-bournemouth/player-stats/2149373#errors

Don't get me wrong, I do actually think Billing should be behind Lerma and Cook, but I don't see he is as dreadful as some make out on here...

I think it's down to the way he portrays himself on the pitch. He does comes across as a bit laxydaysical sometimes and seems to stroll around. There's certainly no blood guts and thunder in his play which can also be seen as can't be arsed to play for the team. I don't think he's that sort of player but he can pull a pass out of nowhere like the one that led to our second goal. Unfortunately for him when we play teams like Rotherham who are charging around and snapping at heels he stands out even more as doing less.

Right now we can't afford a player like Billing in midfield. Rather than facilitating moves he often ends them by conceding the ball or turning back towards the defence (Dan G does much the same). I'm keen to try the youngsters as back-up for L Cook, as they've looked OK when we've seen them. If no good - recruit.

When we refer to " teams like" Rotherham, Sheffield...or as last season Burnley, Palace etc....it should not be hyped up to any relevance.....We have to go out and impose Our skills....we do ourselves a disservice stressing about what players to use in these different 'circumstances'...they should ALL be able to adapt and get stuck in with attritional guile ...as a unit.
George Best and players of that type would do it as lone rangers and more than often get through the defences.
By bowing to 'teams like'. ...all you do is make them more ' like ' !

I have a feeling that this will be another physical encounter where the opposition really get in our faces and try to stop us from playing our football. I have no complaints with that, it is a legitimate tactic and any team which doesn't feel as though they can outplay us over ninety minutes is likely to employ it.
We need to continue to find ways of dealing with such opposition and somehow winning these games. The physicality of the opposition should not be used an excuse for a poor result. It's eleven versus eleven and as long as the referee does his job we just need to make sure we come out on top, by whatever means. I think the games where we'll be able to play pretty football this season will be few and far between, unfortunately.

I live in hope that we will see our team playing fast flowing football but I think that tonight's game will be another hard slog ! After drawing away last time we really need the 3 points from tonight's home game. Fingers crossed we can do it !
:utc:

If Cook is injured I hope he gives Kilkenny a go, Gosling offers absolutely nothing at this level imo.
Certainly the Gosling from the last game but he does have his good days from time to time. But I too would like JT to show a bit more faith in the youngsters from here on in. If we are a bit light in midfield, why not give Kilkenny or another youngster a chance to stake a claim for a game or two ? With the extra substitutions he is now allowed, JT can still sub them off if they have a stinker. I guess a manager tends to err on the side of caution and it's easier to keep picking a senior player ( because on paper he has proven experience at this level ) than taking a punt on a youngster seizing his opportunity. It's a fine line between brave and reckless which a manager has to walk :unsure:

;