AFC Bournemouth v Preston N E

If Cook is injured I hope he gives Kilkenny a go, Gosling offers absolutely nothing at this level imo.

I just don't get this. Gosling has been poor recently sure but to be that confident that he offers 'nothing' as opposed to a player you literally can't have seen offer anything because he's not played at anything like this level is just odd. Kilkenny has looked half decent in a few friendlies and cup games but has also been quiet. I could understand it if you were calling for Oforboh as at least he's played a decent number of competitive games.

I remember when Surridge was the answer to all our problems in the PL. You don't hear from those people much anymore.

Lack of experience shouldn’t really be an excuse for not picking a youngster otherwise they will never gain that experience. Had Kevin Bond not given Pitman and Vokes the opportunity against Forest those years ago who knows what direction their careers might have gone in.

For me the question isn’t should we pick Kilkenny or Ofobohr it’s do we really need to make a change in our midfield? The answer is no. Gosling and Billing ought to be able to perform against Preston. If it turns out they aren’t cutting it perhaps we consider the youngsters as part of our 5 subs

Lack of experience shouldn’t really be an excuse for not picking a youngster otherwise they will never gain that experience. Had Kevin Bond not given Pitman and Vokes the opportunity against Forest those years ago who knows what direction their careers might have gone in.

For me the question isn’t should we pick Kilkenny or Ofobohr it’s do we really need to make a change in our midfield? The answer is no. Gosling and Billing ought to be able to perform against Preston. If it turns out they aren’t cutting it perhaps we consider the youngsters as part of our 5 subs

Fair point. I do think it's easier to risk youngsters up front or on the wing than in the middle though.

The reason I question picking Kilkenny isn't really because he's too inexperienced but that other than flashes here and there I don't think he's done enough to force his way in the side. Oforboh has done a lot more to warrant a chance and I even think Zemura and Anthony (different positions granted) have shown more in recent games.

Bloody marvellous innit...we are 2nd in table...maybe top tonight...and now...Gosling has nothing to offer ' at THIS level.' ....he scored the winner against Chelsea at the Bridge....and scored to save a point v Arsenal.....what has this bloke got to do at THIS level...he has saved us on many occasions from defeats...and always gives 100%....he is Exactly what is required at this LEVEL.
People are picking on the wrong player at a Wrong Time....Why?
If he suddenly slows down and gets too ragged due to age....then that is the time to criticise... otherwise he is an Asset to our cause ! None of them play every game anyway for various reasons.

Last edited:
Hed walk into most teams at this level.
He really wouldn’t. Just to clarify my point, I actually rate him as a useful squad player at Prem level, in games where we are the underdogs and the onus is on harrying the opposition and making it as difficult as possible for them to play. At this level, where we enjoy the majority of the ball and our midfielders are being the ones hunted in packs, he is really shown up for his lack of technical ability, which even for this level is erratic. His strengths are not really relevant at this level imo.

Bloody marvellous innit...we are 2nd in table...maybe top tonight...and now...Gosling has nothing to offer ' at THIS level.' ....he scored the winner against Chelsea at the Bridge....and scored to save a point v Arsenal.....what has this bloke got to do at THIS level...he has saved us on many occasions from defeats...and always gives 100%....he is Exactly what is required at this LEVEL.
People are picking on the wrong player at a Wrong Time....Why?
If he suddenly slows down and gets too ragged due to age....then that is the time to criticise... otherwise he is an Asset to our cause ! None of them play every game anyway for various reasons.
Mate, it’s an opinion.

He really wouldn’t. Just to clarify my point, I actually rate him as a useful squad player at Prem level, in games where we are the underdogs and the onus is on harrying the opposition and making it as difficult as possible for them to play. At this level, where we enjoy the majority of the ball and our midfielders are being the ones hunted in packs, he is really shown up for his lack of technical ability, which even for this level is erratic. His strengths are not really relevant at this level imo.

he would, look at his pedigree, he's a very good player at this level and most clubs would love to have him imo.

he wouldn't have played for the clubs and levels he has if was as limited as you're making him out to be.

both Billing and Gosling looked very rusty in the last game possibly a reflection of their lack of recent game time?
neither could cope technically with the high energy and pressure from rotherham's midfield five and struggled to keep hold of the ball
a big challenge for JT is to keep all players involved and playing to the best of their abilities without effecting the overall performance of the team

No this isn’t true. In the PL teams press with far more intensity and organisation. I can accept his lack of technical ability hinders him moving the ball quickly when under pressure but he can get away with it more at Championship level.

Gosling strength is timing his runs to arrive in the box late. In the PL he was restricted in the frequency he could do that as we were usually under the cosh and couldn’t risk runners from midfield. At this level we do have more freedom to take risks and that’s why Gosling is far more suited to the Championship.

Let’s not mistake a lack of form and match sharpness for meaning his strengths aren’t suited to this level.

If we gets back up to the PL...and I'm really not that bothered without a bigger ground...half of the players won't be ' good enough technically'....and the chances are we will be back down again after 1 or 2 seasons along with Watford and Norwich again.....its how it is for us now I'd say !

;