AFC Bournemouth v Sheffield U

I have in my head now to the Toy Story theme tune...

Kevin Friend needs VAR
Kevin Friend needs VAR and so on...

I've seen afcb play Sheff Utd seven times at Dean Court and we've only scored once. John Williams in 1988. We still lost 1-2.

New Season – Home Against Side Not Met Since 2012-13 Season

The Cherries start their fifth season in the Premier League with everybody from the manager to the players and fans hoping to improve on last season. Our fans must look forward with optimism as so far before the transfer window closes on Thursday Eddie has held onto his key players. As we know there have been rumours about certain players of ours, so there is always a chance of a late deal. Also the new signings Eddie has made look to improve the team squad in depth and there could be more before the deadline.

The first game which is at home again as last season, also against a team just come up from the Championship. The visitors are Sheffield United (the Blades), they were automatically promoted after finishing second behind the Champions Norwich City. The last time our clubs met was seven years ago. This was also the season our club was promoted into the Championship after finishing second behind Champions Doncaster Rovers, Yeovil Town were the other promoted club. How the fortunes of those other clubs who were promoted with us have changed. Doncaster Rovers are in League 1 and Yeovil Town are in the National League.

Sheffield United manager is Chris Wilder, he has been manager since the 2016-17 season. He was born in Yorkshire, his first club though was down in the South at Southampton, where he was a trainee. He never made it into the first team and was released by Saints. His next club and the start of his senior career was at Sheffield United, where he was a player from 1986-92. He moved into management in 2001-2002 at Alfreton Town. He was also manager at Halifax Town, Oxford United and Northampton Town before joining his present club.

During the Summer United have been busy in the transfer market and they have broken the club transfer record four times this Summer. The players involved are, Luke Freeman from Queens Park Rangers for an undisclosed fee, reported to be £5 million. Striker Callum Robinson from Preston North End, again undisclosed but reported to be £7 million. Our former striker Lys Mousset for an undisclosed fee, reported to be £10 million. Striker Oli McBurnie from Swansea for a club record of £17 million which could rise to £20 million, also the most expensive footballer in Scottish football history. Ben Osborn from Nottingham Forest for an undisclosed fee. Centre back Phil Jagielka after he was released from Everton. Ravel Morrison who was a free agent. Goalkeeper Dean Henderson on loan from Manchester United.

Our own club have been busy as well bringing in some promising young players as Eddie Howe likes to do. Lloyd Kelly a left back who can also play in the centre of defence for a reported £13 million from Bristol City. Jack Stacey a defender from Luton Town for £4 million. Midfield player Phillip Billing from Huddersfield Town for £15 million, the tall Dane at around 6’ 6”, hopefully he could turn out to be an all round good player for our side. From Club Brugge, Netherlands international Arnaut Danjuma for a fee reported to be £13.7 million. Leaving our club and joining our opening game opponents Sheffield United is Lys Mousset, the figure reported to be around £10 million. Also Harry Arter will be joining his brother-in-law Scott Parker on a season long loan, with a view to it becoming permanent if Fulham are promoted back into the Premier League.

Our last game against Sheffield United at home ended in a 0-1 defeat. We have a poor home record against Sheffield United, having lost our previous 5 home fixtures.
In our league games against the Blades at home, the Cherries have Won 0, Drawn 2, Lost 5. In all competitions AFCB have Won 1, Drawn 4, Lost 10.

AFCB Team News
Not good news losing two players through pre season to injuries in David Brooks who is expected to be out for three months with an ankle injury. The other injury is to Lloyd Kelly with ankle ligament damage. Dan Gosling also out for around three months after a hip operation. Andrew Surman and Steve Cook had game time in the recent friendlies, so that’s a big bonus going into the season. Then we have the players who are still recovering from injuries from last season.

AFCB Player To Watch
Any of our new additions who may feature. Also one or two of our younger players have shown good form in pre season friendlies, if given the chance in this opening fixture, will be interesting how they perform. Otherwise Wilson and Fraser, see if they can carry on the understanding of last season. With Callum having signed a new contract, hopefully that puts to bed any transfer rumours and he can just get on with playing football and scoring goals.

Sheffield United Team News
With the number of new signings it will be interesting to see how many start in this opening fixture.
They are still hoping to add more signings before the transfer deadline.

Sheffield United Player To Watch
Their two new strikers, Lys Mousset, see how he performs against us with his new club if he plays. Oli McBurnie their record signing from Swansea who scored 22 league goals last season. Then you have the prolific goal scorer 33-years-old Billy Sharp who’s 23 goals helped United to promotion last season.

Just looking back at the report of the last time we played Sheffield United at Dean Court and came across this below.

Jamie Murphy's first-half goal sent Sheffield United to the top of League One as Bournemouth slipped to sixth.

Murphy struck from close range after his initial effort hit the post as manager Eddie Howe suffered a first home league defeat since his return.

Barry Robson hit the bar for the Blades while Harry Arter saw his shot cleared off the line for Bournemouth.

United's Dave Kitson scuffed wide, while Harry Maguire's sliced clearance was tipped over by keeper George Long.

The result gave the Blades a one-point lead at the top over Swindon, Tranmere and Doncaster, who are only separated by goal difference, with both Yeovil and Bournemouth a point further back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21483015

I remember that game for the utter shithousery deployed by the Blades. We are all familiar with it now and ourselves are no angels either but back then it was a shock.

Of course Gillingham and Chesterfield were well known for the dark arts in the lower leagues but Sheffield United were the first side I saw employ it to such an extreme level.

I remember that game for the utter shithousery deployed by the Blades. We are all familiar with it now and ourselves are no angels either but back then it was a shock.

Of course Gillingham and Chesterfield were well known for the dark arts in the lower leagues but Sheffield United were the first side I saw employ it to such an extreme level.

I've looked at my Football Almanac from the year 1856 and there are no corresponding definitions for "utter shithousery" or "dark arts", so any exposition would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've looked at my Football Almanac from the year 1856 and there are no corresponding definitions for "utter shithousery" or "dark arts", so any exposition would be appreciated. Thank you.
Hopefully this should give you idea
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shithousery

Examples can include:-

Time wasting
Diving
Faking injury
Bullying referees
Giving opponent a kick when ref isn’t looking (trickier these days with so many cameras)

Reactions: OBX
Do we know if Surman is injured atm? I thought he looked good in pre-season; expecting Billing to start over him but still, would be good to have as many available as possible.

If you consider football at it's purest form to be gifted technical players, playing intricate and attacking eye-pleasing football with a great command of the ball at their feet and scoring beautiful goals.....Then think of the exact opposite: Thugs intentionally kicking lumps out of the opposition, all out defending and being especially good at fouling when the ref isn't looking, and if caught staying marginally the right side of the line for a sending off. Scoring an ugly goal and then wasting as much time as possible whenever the ball is out of play - every throw in and goal kick etc.

Often known as the Mark Hughes or Tony Pulis approach to football!

The best sides can do a bit of both. Man City and Liverpool are great at it, play wonderful football, but also throw in a few intentional elbows, trips and ankle clips when they need to.

Last edited:
From the Sheff Utd pre-match press conference when asked about potential incoming transfers Wilder said:

"At the top of the pitch we’re always looking for combinations, I just want a really good midfield player. It always seems to be the case, everyone leaves it to the last minute. One deal sparks another deal so we’re waiting."

Not sure how inspiring that will be for whoever is slated to play that role on Saturday if they don't get someone in today!

If you consider football at it's purest form to be gifted technical players, playing intricate and attacking eye-pleasing football with a great command of the ball at their feet and scoring beautiful goals.....Then think of the exact opposite: Thugs intentionally kicking lumps out of the opposition, all out defending and being especially good at fouling when the ref isn't looking, and if caught staying marginally the right side of the line for a sending off. Scoring an ugly goal and then wasting as much time as possible whenever the ball is out of play - every throw in and goal kick etc.

Often known as the Mark Hughes or Tony Pulis approach to football!

The best sides can do a bit of both. Man City and Liverpool are great at it, play wonderful football, but also throw in a few intentional elbows, trips and ankle clips when they need to.

A picture says a thousand words

Gazza.jpg

;