AFC Bournemouth v Southampton- FA Cup Quarter-Final

billythekid

UTC Legend
First Time Since 1957

AFC Bournemouth can forget the Championship for the next fortnight or so as they are at home in the Quarter-Final of the FA Cup for the first time since the famous ‘Giant Killing’ run in the 1956-57 season. The ‘Giant Killing’ came in the January and February of 1957. The club were known as Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic in those days (the Cherries) and were in a lower league, Division 3 South and had to play more rounds to get to that stage.

In the first round they were at home against non-league Burton Albion, the Cherries comfortably won 8-0. The second round they were drawn away against a side in the same division, Swindon Town, our side went into the third round after winning 0-1. Our opponents were Accrington Stanley, from the same division but the North section of it. The game was at Dean Court and the Cherries won 2-0 to enter into the fourth round.

They were drawn against a team from the top league Division 1 side Wolverhampton Wanderers (Wolves) away at their Molineux ground. Wolves finished in 6th place in their division at the end of that season. This was the first of the ‘Giant Killing’ games and our side won 0-1, with Reg Cutler the scorer. The game will be remembered as well for the early incident in the game when our winger Reg Cutler in an aerial challenge with the Wolves goalkeeper Bert Williams, Reg ended up in the net which also brought one of the goalposts down.

The fifth round saw the Cherries drawn against the team who would finish in 2nd place in the top division, Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) and the game was at home at Dean Court. As with some of the other games some members of this forum were at them in person. Those who were in the 25,892 crowd, saw another cup shock, with our team turning over the Spurs 3-1 and entering into the Quarter- Final draw for the first time in the history of our club.

The draw was made and the Cherries were yet again at home at Dean Court, the side we would meet was the ‘Busby Babes’ Manchester United, they were to finish as the Champions of Division 1. This was the game when some other members of this forum joined the ‘party’ including myself. The ground was packed on the day and it turned out to be a record crowd of 28,799, that record still stands until this day. Sadly it was the end of our cup run and United won 1-2, their goalscorer with a brace was Johnny Berry, one from the penalty spot. The Cherries goal which put them into the lead came from Brian Bedford.

Now in 2021 the Cherries are into the Quarter-Finals of the FA Cup for the second time in their history and their opponents are Southampton. The game is at Dean Court on Saturday at the earlier time of 12.15 pm. This game won’t have the build up of the 1957 games, which had a lot of the shops in our area with the colours of the Cherries in their windows, there was also FA Cup fever around the area.

Our club could go one better this time and reach the semi-finals for the first time. So far in the FA Cup rounds Saints haven’t conceded a goal, beating Shrewsbury and Arsenal at home and Wolves away.They will be wanting to get something out of this season themselves after having a disappointing season in the Premier League.

We have only met the Saints once in the FA Cup and that goes right back to the first round in November 1953 and both teams at the time were in Division 3 South. The game was played at Saints old ground, the Dell, it ended in a 1-1 draw. In the replay at Dean Court the Cherries won 3-1.

In all competitions against the Saints, the Cherries have W 8, D 9 L 14.

AFCB Team News
Shane Long is cup-tied will not be able to play in this game against his parent club. Jefferson Lerma will be missing due to suspension. David Brooks, Lewis Cook, Adam Smith are out through injury. Joining them are now Lloyd Kelly who missed the Swansea City game and Junior Stanislas injured during the game.

AFCB Player To Watch
Arnaut Danjuma has scored in his last three games, but he has also laid on two assists in the last two games. The experience of Jack Wilshere in midfield will be important as well.

Southampton Team News
Players missing through injury. Danny Ings, Theo Walcott, Oriol Romeu, Michal Obafemi and William Smallbone.

Southampton Player To Watch
James Ward-Prowse is a strong all round player, dangerous at set pieces and has 7 goals and 5 assists this season. Che Adams has scored in his last three games, scored 7 goals and has 4 assists.

...good distraction from the grind of The Championship and what more could we ask than a little local kickabout with our illustrious neighbours who have a good cup pedigree and will be up for beating us and putting us in our place!

It is a bit of a free hit and one that is very winnable if we are on our A Game and follow on from the form we had against Swansea...

I would imagine the same finishing XI with Pearson in for Lerma, and Riquelme in for Stanislas there will be some youth on the bench getting a taste of the big time as we are now stretched to our limits...

I would expect that Long has given the some tips up at St Mary's....so that adds some spice to the contest too...

So come on Dom and Arnie pick them off with precision and pace!

Sounds like we'll have to use some of the kids. A chance for somebody to make a name for themselves.

The likes of Rico and Billing were walking wounded by the end on Tues, Wilshere played 70 mins, Solanke and Stacey put in huge shifts. Seems doubtful they'll all last 90 minutes this Saturday and we aren't blessed with many options to swap them. Riquelme, Surridge, Zemura and Killkenny may all have parts to play.

Sounds like we'll have to use some of the kids. A chance for somebody to make a name for themselves.

The likes of Rico and Billing were walking wounded by the end on Tues, Wilshere played 70 mins, Solanke and Stacey put in huge shifts. Seems doubtful they'll all last 90 minutes this Saturday and we aren't blessed with many options to swap them. Riquelme, Surridge, Zemura and Killkenny may all have parts to play.
Seems likely. A great opportunity for the youngsters to prove their credentials for a league start in the matches to come. They'll be up against a highly motivated PL side, so if they cope well with that, there is no reason why we couldn't call upon them in the league games between now and the end of the season. If the run of injuries continues, it might even become absolutely necessary :(

Certainly a great opportunity to get a look at them against quality opposition, probably as replacements for our regulars once they've fired us into another 3-0 lead :wahey:

:utc: go get that :cup:

Yeah, looking forward to this although I do fear for our very thin squad. Not sure where the subs will come from, JW will need a bit of magic, will Sam be available?

But they too have some major injuries and their form has not been great.

God, a win and then a two week break to catch our breath and get some players back for the final 9 games ........... :love:

is it on the tv? if so, which channel?

Oh, I see its on BT. wots the streamy situation likely to be?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if we are using Shane Long for inside information or if he is traing on his own until after the game.

Looks like it is going to have to be a £25 BT Monthly Pass for me.

Either that or I stand outside my mates house and watch it through his front window.

Looks like it is going to have to be a £25 BT Monthly Pass for me.

Either that or I stand outside my mates house and watch it through his front window.

you must know someone who has a bt account you can "borrow", you can use several devices at a time

;