AFC Bournemouth v Southampton- FA Cup Quarter-Final

t
I don't like to single out players when they at least seem like decent people and try but wtf has happened to Rico? He's just not at the races at all. Feels like he'd struggle in League 1 and that's no exaggeration. Can't think of a single game he's had for us where I've thought he had the opposition winger in his back pocket. Granted he's not the most mobile but you can overcome that with a bit of vision but he seems so unaware of what's going on around him.
It’s sad. I think he is a decent bloke and doesn’t get up in the morning intending to be rubbish but something is wrong there. His short passing is awful, doesn’t impress with crosses and positionally leaves a lot to be desired.

We are going to need a complete rebuild in the summer.

Eddie and Jason should have been saying that in 2017. Granted they brought in some new faces but it’s patently obvious the management were not very good at “Rebuilding”. If there is any blame to be levelled, it should be laid at their door.

A second half turnaround that we certainly couldn’t see at half time in that game !
Remembered also for the Sky camera shot of an injured Ake, Franno and a few others in the stand watching but all looking p££££d off and barely speaking or looking at each other .....

Watched the post match interviews on COWS today and it was interesting to hear what Cookie and JW came up with.

JW said that the players were exhausted, the relentless schedule was taking its toll. Well all I can say to that is why aren't the Norwich and Watford players suffering to the same degree ? Sounds like a convenient excuse to me. Or perhaps those teams just play smarter and don't waste as much energy ? If that is the case, then that too is JW's responsibility and he needs to own it and do something about it. He is looking forward to being able to give the players a bit of a rest and to having at least five players back from injury after the break. OK.

Cookie said that the two week break would be the first opportunity to really spend time with the manager and get to grips with how he wants us to play. I accept that JW came in and has so far had very little time on the training pitch or between matches to put his ideas across. He pretty much had to hit the ground running and manage the situation as best he could.

If there is any truth in what the pair of them came up with, we now have a two week break for our "exhausted" players to recover, two weeks for the new manager to put his ideas across to them and pretty much a full squad of players rested and fit at his disposal when the league resumes.

There really can be no excuses if we fail to accrue the points needed to secure a playoff spot.

I'm just putting this out there now because I'm sure the excuses will come thick and fast when we narrowly miss out on the playoffs come seasons' end ;)

It seems to me that JW and the players now have the perfect opportunity to put things right and save our season.

Last edited:
Watched the post match interviews on COWS today and it was interesting to hear what Cookie and JW came up with.

JW said that the players were exhausted, the relentless schedule was taking its toll. Well all I can say to that is why aren't the Norwich and Watford players suffering to the same degree ? Sounds like a convenient excuse to me. Or perhaps those teams just play smarter and don't waste as much energy ? If that is the case, then that too is JW's responsibility and he needs to own it and do something about it. He is looking forward to being able to give the players a bit of a rest and to having at least five players back from injury after the break. OK.

Cookie said that the two week break would be the first opportunity to really spend time with the manager and get to grips with how he wants us to play. I accept that JW came in and has so far had very little time on the training pitch or between matches to put his ideas across. He pretty much had to hit the ground running and manage the situation as best he could.

If there is any truth in what the pair of them came up with, we now have a two week break for our "exhausted" players to recover, two weeks for the new manager to put his ideas across to them and pretty much a full squad of players rested and fit at his disposal when the league resumes.

There really can be no excuses if we fail to accrue the points needed to secure a playoff spot.

I'm just putting this out there now because I'm sure the excuses will come thick and fast when we narrowly miss out on the playoffs come seasons' end ;)

It seems to me that JW and the players now have the perfect opportunity to put things right and save our season.
It’s all excuses. If we lose to Boro it will be, ‘the two week break forced us to become complacent.’ We have become a bit of a joke. In the best days under Eddie we just played with the hand we were dealt, there were never any excuses made. When we couldn’t fill the bench we didn’t even come out with the bs excuses that we do these days. It was a winners mentality. Winners don’t make excuses, they take accountability and play the hand they are dealt. It’s part of the mentality problem that we are experiencing. Tindal was the worst for this, we have hired the wrong type of character twice this season and it has cost us.

I hope they respond better than they did with the last “mini-season” scenario after the football restart in the Premier League.

I think we all expected Eddie and the team to come back fighting and scrapping for every point to keep us in the top flight.

We all know how that mini-season turned out.

I hope they respond better than they did with the last “mini-season” scenario after the football restart in the Premier League.

I think we all expected Eddie and the team to come back fighting and scrapping for every point to keep us in the top flight.

Absolutely ! It's rare for us to benefit in any way from a long break without any matches being played. Usually we manage to come back far worse than when we stopped so I am worried that we will lose the momentum of the Swans game.

My point was just that the excuses used to explain away the piss poor performance against Saints should all have been adequately addressed during this break, therefore at least THESE excuses should no longer be valid.

But as Waz points out, I'm sure other excuses will be found !
:slap:

In spite of my better judgement I remain hopeful that this team could just surprise us in a positive way, so once again :utc:

Embarrassing display tbh, looked disinterested.

One of the biggest let downs this season for me, considering it was a derby (of sorts) and the last 8 of the fa cup.

It’s all excuses. If we lose to Boro it will be, ‘the two week break forced us to become complacent.’ We have become a bit of a joke. In the best days under Eddie we just played with the hand we were dealt, there were never any excuses made. When we couldn’t fill the bench we didn’t even come out with the bs excuses that we do these days. It was a winners mentality. Winners don’t make excuses, they take accountability and play the hand they are dealt. It’s part of the mentality problem that we are experiencing. Tindal was the worst for this, we have hired the wrong type of character twice this season and it has cost us.

I tend to agree with most of this in that Eddie never really made excuses... It was always a case of we just need to analyse where we've gone wrong and work harder... We know players are tired and injured, but it happens everywhere... I didn't see the Soton game but the team fielded should have been more than enough to not get beat 3-0...

As Waz has said, own your mistakes so you can own your successes... We're not going to win every game and that is fine, but a lack of attitude and application... that's different. Someone should be accountable for it... Let's not blame our 'tools'...

If I'm being honest I wasn't that bothered by the semi-final failure... We were not gonna be able to watch it and we weren't going to win the actual 'thing'...

If we're serious about promotion then then least get some focus back... Two-weeks now to play our alleged '9 cup finals'... They should be rested, focused, bonded and ready... If not, then them upstairs need to start planning for next season and get the directory of agents out the bottom drawer, both players' and manager...

Last edited:
They should be rested, focused, bonded and ready... If not, then them upstairs need to start planning for next season and get the directory of agents out the bottom drawer, both players' and manager...
I've marked in bold the part which I think will be most crucial in our attempts to reach the playoffs. If at all possible we really should use this time to bond this group of individuals into a team. I appreciate that with COVID our options may be limited but if there are any team building activities at all still available then we should make use of them. I honestly think that creating a good team spirit will help us way more than another twelve hours on the training ground. I would hope that somebody at the club is looking into options for team building/bonding activities.
For me that would be a worthwhile last throw of the dice, it has to be worth a shot.
Approach these last nine games with a common goal and desire and we might just make it. Otherwise just expect more of the same inconsistent and incoherent performances until the season finally fizzles out with a top half finish and nothing more to show for it.

MOTD coverage picked up on the lack of motivation and had shots replayed of the pre match huddle, that really wasn't. Cookie trying to rally the team but most look disinterested and distant. No linked arms. I hope I'm wrong but our current "team" doesn't seem to fulfill the description.
It increasingly occurs to me that we have more than a few players who nobody here seems able to get through to and get buy-in to a team ethos. Not Howe, not Tindall, not Woodgate, nor senior pros like Cook. And we don't have many senior pros to back Cook up. These few just want to play on their own terms, when it suits them.

I really hoped the drama and result against Watford would bond this team together and show them what can be achieved if they fight for each other and have each other's backs. But that on Saturday reverted right back to some of the most lethargic and disconnected stuff we've seen from this group.

There is something badly wrong in football generally...I mean Christ..the Manchester United players v Leicester were displaying skills that were no better than you'd see at Truro or Blyth .
I spoke to my daughter and her husband last night..their Swansea Jacks .. had NIL shots on goal v Cardiff...and they described them as 'useless' and 'not bothered ' .. and they have 69 points ! Weird ! I apologised to them for Boscombe's vastly superior squad annihilating their poor sods on Tuesday !

Footballers have no professionalism any more..its about banking money only..and fans are parting with hard earned cash to watch them ' turn out in expensive kit but turn in a cheap performance!
Its a f√cking disgrace...up and down the country !
F√cking pre-match 'huddles'. huggy kissy culture.. ..f√ck-off with that sh*t .
Get some bloody 1950s shirts and roll the bloody sleeves up !

Pick the sh*t out of that!

Gods:
Best...Farmer...Jones....McGarry...Nelson ..Bolton...Bumstead ... Bain.. Thompson... Archer... Coxon( what a player). Tommy Godwin and the 57 crew...
Woollard..Standley..Crickmore ( he could play Rugby league and Cricket too..and was a referee and part- time Fireman) )
Roy Gateraaaaagh!,.. Dowsett... ..Gledstone... Jimmy Singer...Charlie Woods...Weller..Hold..KeithEast!..Clark 1 Clark 2
McDougall...Boyer....Powell...Groves !!! ..Gulliver...Stocks...Cave.. Sainty... .. Spackman ..Bishop..Cooke....O' Driscoll...O' Connor....O' Pugh ...O' Pitman....
Bird...Marsden ...Sanaghan ...Blair.. McGibbon..Eyre...apologies to many more left out....Any team picked from that lot would have turned South Hampton into North Hampton..( Respect to the Cobblers)

Last edited:
If the players can't be bothered, then that message is not coming from the manager, it is coming from the board. I mean seriously, appointing the #2, then sacking him and appointing the new #2 says to me, we are not in this.

So why should the players be?

Yeah obviously when Woodgate came out with the 9 'cup finals' b0llox he wasn't to know that we were fed that guff last season......Steve Cook really should know better though.....How many of those 'cup finals' did the players turn up for Steve?

It is evident that there is a complete lack of unity within the squad and without a complete reset that can never be rebuilt. It feels as though the club are tiptoeing around the problem, denying that it exists and coming out with all of this PR bull just trying to convince us that there is still a common desire to achieve.

I think when it all started to go wrong last season and relegation became a genuine threat, there was probably a lot of apportioning of blame going on between the players. "If only you would play half as well as you can, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place !" etc. etc. When the key blamers then make a costly mistake themselves, of course they get the slagging off paid back with interest. And so it continues, backwards and forwards, forwards and backwards, more and more relationships becoming strained. I could well imagine that these tensions were never properly addressed and resolved post relegation when it finally came to pass. IMO this was a critical error. Now, not only do we appear to have a group of players whom the fans find it difficult to like, I think a lot of them no longer like each other.

You can't resolve this issue by pretending it isn't there. We need to address it head on, talk about it, resolve it by making a fresh start together and move on.
I fear that this malaise and lack of team spirit will otherwise continue until the last of the players involved in it finally moves on. We don't have the time to wait for that to happen unfortunately ( unless Max has won the Euromillions and forgotten to tell us ! ). NOW is the time to reset the relationships within the squad. Come together and work together, hit reset and start afresh. If we can make a start then the subsequent ( relative ) success will make the healing easier, whereas if we carry on as we are, the probable continued failure will only ensure that this destructive lack of unity continues to fester.

Somebody at the club needs to address this issue urgently in my opinion, otherwise all other measures will still be doomed to failure.

Last edited:
..It is obvious that the spirit once held in high regard in the squad under Eddie Howe has fractured. This could be because some of the players he added never really came to terms with their responsibilities to the team?

Most of us probably feel that the unity required to gain success is not there...it appears that we have a few, and I am speculating of course, in the likes of Billing...Danjuma and Rico that just come across as not too bothered in their play at times and maybe they are just too laid back and aloof?

I want to see passion and determination but maybe the lack of crowd has taken that out of some players as they have no abuse being screamed at them from the stands to remind them that this does matter to many!

Recently I have only seen Begovic..Stanislas and Surridge showing that they are actually bothered!...It is often like watching doomed men waiting for some sort of divine intervention going through the motions...we have let go another who I thought cared in Gosling...and so he proved when he came back to Dean Court for his new team!

;