AFC Bournemouth v Southampton

Referee is Lee Probert. We had him in our home game against Everton in August. He sent off Richarlison for Everton in the first half and Adam Smith for the Cherries in the second half.

I'm worryingly optimistic about this one....Southampton are absolutely woeful tbf...a static defence and a powder puff attack....3-0

Form Book Could Go Out The Window

The Cherries went into the International break with two wins in a week and 6 points in the bag. They beat Crystal Palace at Dean Court on a Monday evening and then the following Saturday they travelled to Vicarage Road to take 3 points against Watford in a convincing win.

Following the break our next visitors have a short journey down to Dean Court. They are Southampton (Saints). Mark Hughes who took over in manager in March took over a side fighting relegation. In April the visitors to St Mary’s Stadium were AFC Bournemouth, they were visiting a team that hadn’t won in front of their own fans for 9 games. That all changed with a ‘little help’ from the Cherries who were not at their best and lost 2-1 to give Saints 3 vital points. At the end of the season the Saints had escaped relegation by 3 points.

In the Summer Southampton made four signings plus one loan. The Denmark international centre-back Jannik Vestergaard joined from Borussia Monchengladbach for £18 million. From Basel came forward Mohamed Elyounoussi the Norway international for 16 million. Goalkeeper Angus Dunn joined from Manchester City for an undisclosed figure. Stuart Armstrong a midfield player from Celtic for £7 million. The loan player is ex AFCB player Danny Ings from Liverpool. One of the players that have left Saints is Dusan Tadic the midfield player who scored Saints two goals against the Cherries last season at St Mary’s Stadium. He joined Ajax for £10 million.

This season Saints have been struggling again since the start of the season. In August they drew one and lost two of their three games. First game they drew at home against Burnley 0-0. Their next game was away at Everton, the home side winning 2-1. The last game in August, Leicester City were the visitors to St Mary’s Stadium and they like a number of other clubs did last season, went away with all 3 points in a 1-2 win. In September the Saints had the short trip to London to play Crystal Palace, it was a turn in their fortunes and they came away with 3 points after beating Palace 0-2 in their only win this season so far. The next visitors to play Saints were Brighton, the spoils were shared in a 2-2 draw. Southampton then had a trip up to Merseyside to face unbeaten Liverpool, that was to remain the case as Liverpool won 3-0 to top the Premier League table. The following week and last game of the month, Saints had a trip to play newcomers Wolverhampton Wanderers (Wolves), Saints went home again without any points, being beaten 2-0. For the first game in October and before the international break, Chelsea were the visitors to Southampton and went away with 3 points in a 0-3 victory. Saints haven’t won at home in six games, since they beat the Cherries last season.

Now for the first time this season in the Premier League, the Cherries and Saints meet, first game is at Dean Court. This derby, that isn’t a derby game, depending on the fans point of view, could see the form book go out the window. The Cherries have been strong at home this season and have scored 10 goals in four games. The Saints on their trips have scored 3 goals in four games. AFCB have conceded 5, the Saints have conceded 7. In total in league games AFCB have scored 16 and Saints 6.
The Cherries have had eight different scorers, against the Saints three.

The last time the two sides met at Dean Court was on Sunday 3rd December 2017, it was a lunch time start. The referee that day was Jon Moss and he was involved in a bit of controversy during the game. It was around the half hour mark with the score 0-0, Adam Smith went down in the Saints penalty area after a challenge by a Saints player, instead of pointing to the spot for a penalty, Moss showed Adam Smith a yellow card. After the game the referee apologised to Smith and said it should have been a penalty. This could have had an important effect on the game. The deadlock was broken just before half-time by Ryan Fraser who gave AFCB a 1-0 lead. Charlie Austin once a target for the Cherries when he was a Poole Town player, equalised for the Saints. This was the final score and the Cherries management, players and fans must have thought what if!

In our league games against Southampton at Dean Court in the Premier League. 2015-16 W 2-0. 2016-17 L 1-3. 2017-18 D 1-1.

In all league games at Dean Court the Cherries have Won 5, Drawn 2, and Lost 4. In all competitions, the Cherries have Won 7, Drawn 7 and Lost 13.

AFCB Team News
Ryan Fraser had to withdrew from the Scotland team as he failed a medical and was sent back to his club, he has a hamstring injury. Josh King also on International duty for Norway has picked up an ankle injury. It remains to be seen if either or both players will be available for Saturday’s game.

AFCB Player To Watch
With the faith Eddie Howe has shown by picking him, every game that David Brooks plays, he seems to be getting better. Scored both home and away in his last two matches and is really looking confident and assured in himself. The price our club paid for him seems a snip in today’s market, if he keeps improving from what we have seen so far. Only 21, looks to have a bright future ahead of him.

Saints Team News
Stuart Armstrong has a calf injury. Alex McCarthy has a knock.

Saints Player To Watch
Danny Ings, leading scorer so far this season with 3 out of the 6 goals Saints have scored. Could have more to his total as well.

I would be surprised if Ings gets anything other than a clap on Saturday. I will show him a bit of love unless of course he does a Austin style goading of the fans if he scores....but I doubt he would.

I hope that with Brooks playing so well he will get things ticking up top and another captains performance from Franno and I think we will do well and take all three . But it’s true what they say about no easy games in this league.
A emphatic win would mean a lot for the majority of fans :)

This today in pub with a Saint!;

Me: whadja reckon for Saturday?

Saints fan: 4,5,or 6 to you lot?

Me: I'll take 1-0!

Him: Even if we sneaked a shock win....you guys are playing great football worth watching...we are sh#te and were going nowhere!

Me: Oh I think you are! Gravity controlled!

Him: F##k off Brian....I WAS gonna buy you a Pint!

Me: Wait till Saturday and I'll bet you a Pint on each goal either way!

Him: Best I empty the cashpoint first then!

This guy was a Saints junior and eventually played for Woking and then Braintree ...Knows football far better than me!

I am an optimist, but not counting any chickens re this game.

As mentioned in preview, Saints hadn’t won at home in 9 games untl our side visited them.

They were struggling against relegation.

Since that game they haven’t won at home in 6 games.

Hope the game goes as the form book would suggest, but this is football and anything can happen.

At least it’s at Dean Court.

Some disheartened Saints fans on this thread on link below.

But came across this post.

Just think, even if we do lose, they'll always be ****ing Bournemouth, they'll always have a support of mostly Spurs, Arsenal & Utd fans, and they'll never leave Dean Court.

Oh, and one day we'll probably have their current manager (he's very interested in coming here).

So it's not all doom and gloom.

Reply from another to post above.

Really? Do you have a time frame?

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?60341-Bournemouth-(A)-Build-Up#.W8hBvYrTWhA

Seems from latest reports re injury news Josh King will be available for us and Armstrong and McCarthy will be available for Saints.

It’s going to be an interesting game whatever happens. It is definitely a derby match, even if some others don’t think so, which means form can go out the window. However, if the Cherries play to the best of their abilities they’ve certainly got a chance to claim a good win. Hoping that the internationals have not taken their toll too much. Predict 3-1 Cherries win with goals from Callum Wilson, Josh King and Steve Cook!

Those of you attending Saturday's Local ' Nerby' that are Happy with that situation... these are the appropriate chants;

" Your NOT going to get your ' F##kin eads kicked in"

" Oo the F#kin....Oo the F#kin... Oo the F#kin Hell are WE?

"Your NOT going home in a F#kin Ambulance !"

"We love you Zampn we do....oh Zampn we love you!"

We'll LET you take South End !"

A new trend? Those who don't agree ...give em Hell!

;