AFC Bournemouth v Southampton

On MOTD they mentioned Saints have another manager in mind to replace Hughes if things don’t work out.

Ex Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim.

I thought Stan was excellent when he came on. It may seem harsh but I would play him instead of Brooks next week. Brooks has played a lot of football and looked like he needs a bit of a break yesterday

Well, I had hoped that I'd feel a little less frustrated this morning than I did yesterday, but I don't.

I'm fed up of us never turning up against Southampton.

I'm fed up of seeing headlines with our players giving soundbites to the media to give the impression that we're giving it the biggun before the game and then not showing up for the actual game.

Too many players went hiding yesterday and it was evident from about 10-15 minutes that it was just one of those days when it doesn't click.
When the ball works it's way from Begovic to Ake and he's over on the left and every single option is static central or right wing and he's having to point and wave to get players attention, it's obvious we're in for a long afternoon.

Another example, Steve Cook adjusting his shinpads when we had a throw in, Simon Francis took it anyway, it was obvious it was a give and go and the next pass was to Cook, who wasn't ready so he had to hold on to the ball and we lost possession in our own half.

Those type of things don't happen when we click.

A lot of that first half wasn't even down to Southampton's spoiler tactics, it was us being off our game.

Adam Smith down the left didn't work, David Brooks right wing didn't work, Lewis Cook central midfield didn't work, Wilson and King up top, didn't work.

I was hoping for Rico and Stanislas at half time for Smith and Brooks, change both flanks entirely and go again, something to spark us into life, then Gosling on for King/Wilson if we wanted the numbers in the middle of the park.

Personally, I thought it needed changing early yesterday and Howe got it wrong (Neil, please feel free to frame this for prosperity).

I notice that the BBC website report gives MOM to our goalkeeper.

This para also gives a warning to how the game could go for us.

‘13'
Attempt missed. David Brooks (Bournemouth) left footed shot from the right side of the box is high and wide to the left. Assisted by Callum Wilson.

Last time we saw Brooks score a cracking goal.

Ryan Fraser would normally trap a ball and head for goal, yesterday he didn’t control the ball properly or head for goal like we are used to seeing.

We were told Fraser and King would be having late fitness tests, if they were not fully fit maybe we should have started someone else who was fit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45847411

Last edited:
The one thing I got frustrated by at yesterday's match is when Ake or Cook has the ball and Smith has plenty of space to make a run down the left channel for an easy ball for him to run onto,then he will be in behind the full back,he comes short with his back to goal asking for the ball.Its as though our full backs can't receive the ball off our central defenders unless they are facing them

Watching on tv, it looked like there were 40 players on the pitch, I believe our front line was dropping back too deep hoping for a breakaway but the balls from the back were over hit or not getting through. Thus a drab game with few chances.

Couldn't bring myself to watch the full 90 minutes after reading all opinions on here.
Had built my hopes up too much for 3 points.
29 games to get 20 points to be safe.
It's looking good.
Onwards and upwards.

Where next?
Ah, yes!

Imagine being in Premier League, Championship and League 1 with regular 11,000 crowds if things went wrong in the future.

Would people still be wanting tickets?

;