AFC Bournemouth v Spurs

billythekid

UTC Legend
Trying To Avoid Third Consecutive Defeat

Gary O’Neil has now suffered two defeats in his last two games without seeing his side score a goal. Against Southampton their goalkeeper was only really tested once with a shot from leading scorer Philip Billing and on Monday night the West Ham goalkeeper wasn’t really troubled, he had an easy save from a Dominic Solanke effort in the first half which our striker hit straight at him. Besides the defeat and some talking points/controversial decisions, the bad news was we lost two important players during the game through injury in Neto and Solanke. AFCB go into this game trying to avoid a third consecutive defeat.

Our next game at Dean Court is going to be another testing one with Spurs the visitors on Saturday at 3 pm. Spurs come to Dean Court also on the back of two defeats. The Spurs manager is Antonio Conte, he will be remembered by our fans as the former Chelsea manager who was their manager when we played Chelsea in the Premier League in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons. Conte joined Spurs on the 2nd November 2021 with them sitting in 9th position after ten games with 15 points. At the end of the season they were 4th with 71 points. This was Spurs best league position since 2018-19 when they were in exactly the same position with the same number of points.

In the Summer, Conte’s club signed eight players permanently, including Richarlison from Everton for £60 million, Christian Romero for a reported £42 million and Yves Bissauma from Brighton for £32 million. They also have signed Clement Lenglet on loan from Barcelona. In their six away games so far Spurs have beaten Nottingham Forest 0-2 and Brighton 0-1. They have drawn with two London clubs, Chelsea 2-2 and West Ham 1-1. The two defeats have been against Arsenal 3-1 and Manchester United 2-0. At home they have won five games and lost in their most recent game 1-2 against Newcastle United.

The last time Spurs visited Dean Court was in July 2020 which finished in a goalless draw, it ended a run of five successive defeats in the Premier League. With the discussion re VAR decisions in our recent games, the game back in 2020 had two VAR decisions go against both sides, one for Harry Kane who Spurs thought was pushed in the back by Josh king and King was also involved in the disallowed goal from Callum Wilson as his shot was judged to have hit King’s hand on the way into the net.

Our home record against Spurs in the league, AFCB, W 1, D 2, L 2.
In all competitions, AFCB, W 2, D 2, L 7.

AFCB Team News
Joining Lloyd Kelly and David Brooks are Neto and Dominic Solanke, which are both important losses to our side, especially Solanke up front. Will see a start again for Mark Travers in goal.

AFCB Player To Watch
With the loss of Solanke, Kieffer Moore will probably start, but he needs players alongside him to play to his strengths. Hopefully we will see a start for both Jordan Zemura and Jaidon Anthony who have got pace and a good understanding between them and get more into Spurs goal area and give Moore a fighting chance.

Spurs Team News
Richarlison has been out with a foot injury, as has Christian Romero. Pierre Emil Hojbjerg and Dejan Kulusevski have thigh injuries.

Spurs Player To Watch
Harry Kane has scored five times in his last six league games. Powerful on the ground as well as in the air, this season so far he has scored 10 goals and has 1 assist and last season scored 17 goals with 9 assists. He is also good at creating chances for his teammates. The other danger is Son Hueng-Min, this season he has scored 3 goals (hat-trick) and has 2 assists. Last season in the Premier League he was top joint scorer with 26 goals with Mohamed Salah of Liverpool, they both shared the Golden Boot award. Son also had 7 assists for the season.

The Referee
Anthony Taylor is the man in charge of this game. We had him for the 0-0 home draw with Wolves which was Gary O’Neils first game in charge of our team.

Harry Kane (pen)

We all know that one's coming

We need to try and get on the ball positively somehow and get Spurs moving around. Their legs will be heavier than ours and they've alot of football coming up to think about. If we sit back let them stroke the ball around all day, we do exactly what they'd prefer.

In the Champions League a last minute Kane winner is rightly chalked off by VAR.

I am confident the same would happen on Saturday. :unsure: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not right surely? Ball played backwards and only reaches Kane off the defender. I didn't think that could be offside, that's even if he was in an offside position in the first place which didn't look clear.

Harry Kane (pen)

We all know that one's coming

We need to try and get on the ball positively somehow and get Spurs moving around. Their legs will be heavier than ours and they've alot of football coming up to think about. If we sit back let them stroke the ball around all day, we do exactly what they'd prefer.
Actually, if you look at the graphic recently shared by @CherryInHove on Stat Attack (below), Tottenham has largely preferred to give up possession. Avoiding sending too many forward outside of the occasional break may actually flummox them.
1666820140495.png

Does anyone really care after the anger of Monday night? Never been so low and indifferent going into a game ….and that includes the benson years
Many moons ago when we were in the lower leagues, whenever we got to the 3rd fa cup, I would pray for a home plum draw to Liverpool ,Tottenham Man U etc......now i don't look forward to games like that.....selfish I know.....but I can only see a heavy defeat Saturday......hate being so negative.......that's how I feel after the last 2 games......hope I snap out of it by Saturday

We'll all a feel lot better after a 3-0 win on Saturday, even if it is a scrappy match : )

Last edited:
Does anyone really care after the anger of Monday night? Never been so low and indifferent going into a game ….and that includes the benson years

I came on to say exactly this. Its too close to Monday. I really cant be arsed. If I didnt have a season ticket I really wouldnt go. I dont even care if we lose. Its just pointless.

I came on to say exactly this. Its too close to Monday. I really cant be arsed. If I didnt have a season ticket I really wouldnt go. I dont even care if we lose. Its just pointless.

I know loads of people think this is great because of tribalism or dislike of people who film themselves at football but this is where the improvements have got us.

We've replaced the euphoria that massive goals gives you, the bug that we all caught that motivates us to travel around the country to watch this sport.... with marginal decisions being 'corrected' after the event.. and in an inconsistent way to boot.

Well done football you've really sorted it out there.

I must admit to having been quite low this week.

When you're beaten by a better side playing better football you can usually take some positive from it. When your players make a mistake you can vent about it and know it's possible to improve the player or change the team. But the week after week of relentless crap we're having to swallow from the officials at the moment is exhausting.

And outside of AFCB, nobody cares or probably even realises. Whereas Spurs have one thing go against them and it's front page sporting news. Liverpool have one thing go against them and the PL have to write and release a statement about it!

Many moons ago when we were in the lower leagues, whenever we got to the 3rd fa cup, I would pray for a home plum draw to Liverpool ,Tottenham Man U etc......now i don't look forward to games like that.....selfish I know.....but I can only see a heavy defeat Saturday......hate being so negative.......that's how I feel after the last 2 games......hope I snap out of it by Saturday

Yes, I remember that feeling so well, crouched by the radio as the 3rd Round draw was made, hoping for a plum draw. Not just for the glamour and excitement of playing a Man Utd or Liverpool, but in those days the extra gate money was seen as a massive boon to us lower league clubs.

What an innocent world that was, so very different to the brutal cynicism and corruption of the modern game.

Yes, I remember that feeling so well, crouched by the radio as the 3rd Round draw was made, hoping for a plum draw. Not just for the glamour and excitement of playing a Man Utd or Liverpool, but in those days the extra gate money was seen as a massive boon to us lower league clubs.

What an innocent world that was, so very different to the brutal cynicism and corruption of the modern game.

We also had 10,000 ‘regular’ fans come out of the woodwork trying to get a ticket.

;