AFC Bournemouth v Watford

billythekid

UTC Legend
Ups and Downs In This League

The Cherries finished the year with a 4-1 defeat at Old Trafford, that is nine goals conceded in two tough fixtures. In December we have lost five games against teams who are in the top seven positions and are in form. In all we played seven league games during this month and beat two of the teams below us in the league at Dean Court.

Now we go into the start of the New Year and AFCB are back at Dean Court to face Watford, the team we were promoted with into the Premier League for the 2015-16 season. Both sides have had an up and down first half of the 2018-19 season. From top six spots, then dropping down just below half way in the table. At the end of the year AFCB are in 12th spot in the table with 26 points and Watford in 9th spot with 28 points.

If the talk is about getting the ‘magic’ 40 points, that should be achieved with the team we have. Don’t think we would need 40 points looking at the bottom three, think that figure will be lower. Our first 19 games has given us the most points we have had in the Premier League so far at the half-way stage of the season. We now need to get back to winning ways starting with Watford on Wednesday. Looking on the positive side, after these defeats we are only 3 points from 7th spot.

As we enter the New Year and the ‘dreaded’ transfer window, both clubs have players linked/rumoured with moves to other clubs. Wilson and Ake for AFCB and Doucouré for Watford.
On the other foot Eddie may be trying to bring in a player or two because of our growing injury list, which includes two players who play at right back. January is known as normally a hard time to sign players, especially players that are as good as you already have.

After six games Watford (Hornets) were in 4th place with 13 points in the Premier League and AFCB 7th, with a 3 point gap between the teams. Then our team visited there in October, this was the eighth game and we beat them. They dropped to 9th place still on 13 points, AFCB were in 5th spot with 16 points. Watford finished the month with a 3-0 home win against Huddersfield and sitting in 7th place in the table, 1 point and 1 place behind the Cherries.
November was a mixed month of results for Watford. Losing away against Newcastle United 1-0, then drawing 1-1 away against Southampton. The Hornets ended the month losing 0-3 at home against Liverpool. Watford were 9th on 20 points, one place but equal on points with the Cherries.
December carried on as November ended with two more defeats. First away at Leicester City 2-0 and then at home with a 1-2 defeat against Manchester City. Then results started to improve for Watford, they drew 2-2 away against Everton, then won two games on the trot. They beat Cardiff City 3-2 at Vicarage Road, then on their travels beat West Ham 0-2. The next game on Boxing Day they lost to another London club, Chelsea 0-2 at home. The final game of the year was again at home against Newcastle United and it ended in a 1-1 draw.

Tables at half-way through seasons.
2015-16 – AFCB 16th P19 Points 20. Watford 9th P19 Points 29.
2016-17 - AFCB 10th P19 Points 24. Watford 13th P19 Points 22.
2017-18 – AFCB 18th P19 Points 16. Watford 10th P19 Points 22.
2018-19 – AFCB 12th P19 Points 26. Watford 10th P19 Points 27.

The first two seasons in the Premier League our home and away games ended in draws. That trend changed in the 2017-18 season, with Watford winning 0-2 at Dean Court. But the away game did end in a 2-2 draw. Earlier this season we beat Watford 0-4 at Vicarage Road.

Our record in the leagues at home against Watford, we have Won 21, Drawn 19 and Lost 12. In all competitions AFCB have Won 38, Drawn 37 and Lost 39.

Six Game Form Guide in the Premier League – Starting with latest game first:

AFCB LLWLLW – Watford DLWWDL

Home Form Table
AFCB – 8th P10 W5 D2 L3 GF16 GA14 Pts17

Away Form Table
Watford – 9th P 9 W3 D L3 GF11 GA10 Pts12

AFCB Team News
Nathan Ake was taken off at Old Trafford with the player holding the back of his leg, he had held the back of his leg earlier in the game but played on. According to early reports it looks like a hamstring problem. This is not good news if it means losing another key player and another defender.

AFCB Player To Watch
At Dean Court it could be David Brooks who showed good form against Brighton with two good goals. Another player who can cause problems, especially at Dean Court is Ryan Fraser. Callum Wilson is also due another goal.

Watford Team News
Sebastian Prodl knee injury. Andre Gray leg injury. Christian Kabasele shoulder injury.

Watford Player To Watch
Abdoulaye Doucouré, scored 3 goals and has 5 assists to his name.

Last edited:
On a good day Pereyra and Deulofeu are the 2 most creative players .

Those 2 you mention would be up there too .

Foster has generally been very good in goal as well .

We don't really have a goalscorer and defence is a bit up and down.

Last edited:
This is a good balanced Watford side...when they all turn up...which is most weeks of late.
The prime factor for me is they will want revenge for the pasting we gave them at the Vicarage...they played like Vicars and Choirboys that day and we were the Devil On Fire!.....However this will be different...believe me...they will Smell Blood due to our depleted squad!
On the Plus side......we gotta get out of this Rut sometime, somehow so we Will be..... Up For It!
It's gonna be One Hell of a Ding Dong....that's how I like it!

Injuries are a blow but hopefully the need for points will galvanise the crowd and the players will get stuck in on the pitch. Draw not a bad result imho against dangerous opposition.

Injuries are a blow but hopefully the need for points will galvanise the crowd and the players will get stuck in on the pitch. Draw not a bad result imho against dangerous opposition.

A 'must not lose' game for me as opposed to absolutely must win. We're not in the healthiest of states, Watford will be out for blood given our last meeting. A draw would be credible and gets us out of a rut.

We're only ever a second of Brooks or Fraser magic away from a goal, just a case of how many mistakes we make at the other end.

I wonder if Watford's bunch will be slightly less sarcastic in their pre match thoughts, given the slice of humble pie and humiliation we dished out at their gaff? ;)

Going by the comments already posted on our form probably not !!

Hang in there Mark...your comments always fair ..so that's good!
I have a shufty at your forum each week..it's a gas..hilarious from a few! Tbh though, if Luton were 'around' I don't think we would get a sniff or a bogey!
Plus the fact that Saints ain't up for a Derby cos they cant stop loving Pompey! A bit of Handbags with Hornets that only Sting now and again is Ok really!

Last edited:
From what I read some want a new manager.

Hm.. never quite sure if people are serious on there!

A few who say things to get a reaction - same when they poke fun at other teams!

;)

All harmless hopefully ..

I doubt anyone sensible really wants to see any change - except a new striker or two !!

Last edited:
Only his 4th Premier league game - good job it's not a Cardiff game as Warnock would not be happy about such an inexperienced ref .

And neither should we, as these new refs are likely to book you for breathing in fresh air. Look out Lerma!

Personnally I can see us slipping up in this one as well as we are now without Ake, Francis, Gosling L.Cook and A.Smith. Our defence will be vertually non existant against their strong front runners.

Well I will try and be positive. (1) There is a case to say that the Man U away defeat brings us around a full circle after our home defeat against them after conceding a very unfortunate 92 minute goal. That exact moment seemed to be the pivotal moment in our season and I would like to think yesterday’s defeat against the same opponents brought that particular circle to a close...clutching at straws I know...but certainly we don't face Liverpool, Man City or Spurs for a while now, so time to rebuild confidence and pick up some points....

(2) We have played some very very good teams in that time, all of whom playing at their very best and none of whom have given us a break, neither have we had any luck. These things even themselves out, maybe we had a bit of luck early in the season. No doubt Watford are playing well at the moment, but I would like to think we will have a bit more time on the ball, maybe a bit more space and won’t be punished for every small mistake as we have been relentlessly by some very good teams for the last ten games....

Returns have just gone on sale for 1 home, away or cup point.

Those of us with no home points need to get on ît quick!

;