(AFCB ish) Liverpool Corner Counter Attack

Tinpot Club

Star Player
Just seen Liverpool’s 2nd goal on SSN.

All 11 were back to defend a corner. 3 players were marking man to man, 5 marking zonally in the 6 yard box, 1 player spare (presumably to shut down a short corner if West Ham tried that) and Salah on the edge of the box.

About 6 seconds later, admittedly after a few air kicks by West Ham, Liverpool were breaking 4 on 3 and the end result was a goal.

I mention this as there’s been a few demands recently for us to leave players up on half way. One goal in isolation obviously doesn’t prove a point one way or the other. However, had Salah been on halfway, he wouldn’t have been able to pressure West Ham into the mistakes and the goal would not have happened.

This is why clubs pay stats guys to analyse this stuff rather than listening to shouty blokes at Solent Fans Forums.

The whole point of having everyone back is just to crowd the box. Ask any striker if they'd rather be attacking a packed box or one with just 1 or 2 defenders in it. A packed box decreases the chances of a shot on target.

All 11 were back to defend a corner. 3 players were marking man to man, 5 marking zonally in the 6 yard box, 1 player spare (presumably to shut down a short corner if West Ham tried that) and Salah on the edge of the box.

About 6 seconds later, admittedly after a few air kicks by West Ham, Liverpool were breaking 4 on 3 and the end result was a goal.

I mention this as there’s been a few demands recently for us to leave players up on half way. One goal in isolation obviously doesn’t prove a point one way or the other. However, had Salah been on halfway, he wouldn’t have been able to pressure West Ham into the mistakes and the goal would not have happened.

This is why clubs pay stats guys to analyse this stuff rather than listening to shouty blokes at Solent Fans Forums.
Don't tell Neil.

Well I for one am absolutely shocked by this revelation. :)

Bit different from Liverpool doing it,with their world class players,to us.This quick counter attacking football we're trying to play,how's it going?When Salah was left up top the other day and received a long kick from his keeper and scored,was that after a corner or free kick or an open passage of play for the opposition I can't remember,but I suppose it proves you can mix it around If you have players of their ability and pace.Plus Liverpool can do it as a defensive and counter attacking point,defending deep for a corner,where as we it seems to be just defensive,which might be working.The problem is our fast players,King and the Dutch lad are out and we don't seem to be able to break out fast anymore from a corner.

Last edited:
Bit different from Liverpool doing it,with their world class players,to us.This quick counter attacking football we're trying to play,how's it going?When Salah was left up top the other day and received a long kick from his keeper and scored,was that after a corner or free kick or an open passage of play for the opposition I can't remember,but I suppose it proves you can mix it around If you have players of their ability and pace
Yeah.....what sort of plonker would compare how Liverpool play to how we do?......;)

on Monday night we were defending a corner, ramsdale caught the ball unchallenged
three or four of our attacking players in space to receive the ball for a quick break, all looked at the floor thinking please don't roll it to me....
zero chance of us ever scoring a goal from a quick break from a defensive corner whilst our confidence to receive and retain the ball is at rock bottom

on Monday night we were defending a corner, ramsdale caught the ball unchallenged
three or four of our attacking players in space to receive the ball for a quick break, all looked at the floor thinking please don't roll it to me....
zero chance of us ever scoring a goal from a quick break from a defensive corner whilst our confidence to receive and retain the ball is at rock bottom
We countered and scored from a similar position against Brighton.

;