AFCB refuse to allow charity collection from West Ham fan

been there, experienced that. We were one of 4 nominated charities last year. Each of the 4 charities gets given a game in that season which is "theirs" to promote themselves. We got a load of our kids to be flagbearers etc and got mentions in the run up etc.

We asked if we could shake buckets outside the ground for our game and got a "No" from the club. So they take the same approach with all charities, even those with strong connections to the club.

The logic applied by the club is that if they give a blanket "No" then it's treating all requests the same. They do get loads of requests and can't accommodate them all so it's easier to say no to everyone. Where they can, they seem to prefer non-financial support like signed shirts etc. I can see their logic and we did well from it and are grateful.

Speedo Mick (the everton guy) was there but I'm pretty sure he had to scrape around for a ticket and was not necessarily collecting with prior approval. But once he's there, in his trunks, who's going to say no?!

You also see the Rotary club etc collecting from time to time but they do it just outside the perimeter so the club can't stop them. I'd suggest Isla's fight do the same.

edit to add: I seem to recall someone at the club saying they also choose not to have bucket shaking outside the ground due to the obvious historical connotations of 1997.

Last edited:
A blanket ban on charity collection. Classy.

I guess it's ok as there's no history of anyone collecting money outside the stadium. Oh, hang on...

I think you wrote that while I was making my edit!

It's not a blanket ban, it's a blanket no approval. Different innit. ;)

Another angle on this ..I'm sure many Afcb fans would turn a blind eye to any efforts or any breaking of rules the West Ham fan attempts for this childs life to be saved!

Another angle on this ..I'm sure many Afcb fans would turn a blind eye to any efforts or any breaking of rules the West Ham fan attempts for this childs life to be saved!

Indeed. And in fact this sort of news can help the charity. The fact it can generate a load of chat on the internet might mean a higher sum achieved via online donations than a bloke with a bucket collecting spare change!

We have a food bank collection outside the ground every home game, does that not come under collecting for charity? And if that's allowed, how is shaking the odd bucket any different?

I can understand the club wanting to keep a lid on things and not have supporters dodging around 100 different charity chuggers for entry to each game, but this seems draconian and ham-fisted, as ever.

I would imagine there's not much the club could do if some people rattled buckets on the pathway along side the cricket pitch, and on Kings Park Dr and Thistlebarrow Rd - capturing the vast majority of footfall?

I would imagine there's not much the club could do if some people rattled buckets on the pathway along side the cricket pitch, and on Kings Park Dr and Thistlebarrow Rd - capturing the vast majority of footfall?

That's true but the council might take a different view if its done without a permit! Ultimately, you tend to need permission from whoever owns the ground you're standing on.

...not great PR, I do realise that there needs to be some control over these things...but all the same it is not going to cause any problems, especially as it well publicised amongst the fans?

This will only fuel West Ham to have a go at us when we play them. With the report of this incident pinned to their dressing room wall as there inspiration. This is not good.

;