AFCB squad ahead of 2020 season restart

canadiancherry

Star Player
Given that there's already a mammoth thread speculating on how the season might (or should) end, and
given that the COWS just posted a bunch of photos of the players back at training (https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/clubs-vote-to-resume-contact-training/ ),
could it possibly be time to bring up some of the more usual arguments and quarrels about who should be playing? (if, in fact, the season does restart)
Some interesting things I noticed from the photos:
  • players look skinnier! I wonder how many have weight gyms in their homes?
  • It would be a nice touch if they all kept the COVID beards for at least the first game back.
  • Brooks is back! Less blonde, and very scrawny (but I guess he's always been scrawny).
  • Fraser the only one pictured wearing a mask. That thing looks so hot. Does this say something about his (a) trust of his teammates, or (b) commitment to the club, or (c) anything else?
  • Danjuma also back (with a haircut, hopefully not from Ibe's barber).
  • King didn't show up in the photos as I recall, nor did Harry Wilson.
No idea who should start the first game (if it happens), but here's a stab from me (4-3-3):
Ramsdale
Stacey - Cook - Ake - Rico
Lerma - Gosling - Billing
Brooks - C Wilson - Danjuma

subs: Travers, A Smith, L Cook, Mepham, Daniels, Fraser(?), others

Rico or Stacey starting ahead of A Smith just won't happen. AS is the best right back and left back at the club so you can choose whoever else you want to play as fullback and then he plays the other one.

I think King was training in Norway and had expressed some concerns about the whole thing but could yet show up.

Someone (DJ?) said S Cook was on the beach with his family the day training started again and that he'd been unable to get the treatment his injury needed due to the restrictions in place. So he looks unlikely to be available.

I don't think Daniels will be back in time. Even if he's training it will be with a view to next season.

This is my guess as to what EH will go for, not necessarily what I would choose:

Ramsdale
Stacey - S Francis - Ake - A Smith
H Wilson - Lerma - Billing - Brooks
King - C Wilson

Subs: Solanke, Fraser, Danjuma, Gosling/L Cook, Mepham, Rico, Boruc

I think we'll be back in the classic 4-4-1-1 formation and go for the more attacking option of Stacey over Rico as we need the wins.

Either of Fraser or H Wilson could start, I guess a lot will depend on how training goes and trying to get inside Ryan's head to see where he's at. We need full throttle Fraser not the third gear option. Any sign of that appearing and I would hope he wouldn't even make the bench but it's hard to completely exclude a proven PL match winner.

I also read/heard somewhere (might have been one of the podcasts) that S.Cook and Daniels are unlikely to be available as they haven't received treatment due to medical priorities being elsewhere.

Dont know where Mepham is in his recovery. Franno will be favoured by Eddie to partner Ake you's think.

If we can’t stay in the with:

Ramsdale

Stacey/Smith
Ake
Cook (injured)/Mepham
Smith/Rico

Brooks
Lerma
Billing
H.Wilson

Wilson
King

Then I would be very surprised, saying that the only real change I’ve made is Brooks and we’ve struggled since October!

I also read/heard somewhere (might have been one of the podcasts) that S.Cook and Daniels are unlikely to be available as they haven't received treatment due to medical priorities being elsewhere.

Dont know where Mepham is in his recovery. Franno will be favoured by Eddie to partner Ake you's think.

Mepham was hopeful to recover in time for the Euros, so based on that he should be back, but depends what treatment/recovery he has had access to?

thinking about the restart if Eddie is treating it as a preseason period now then we generally we come out full of fire at beginning of seasons so this could work well for us

I’d personally go with this if all fully fit

Ramsdale
Smith Cook Ake Rico
Cook Lerma
Brooks Wilson King
Wilson

You could go with any combo of the attacking trio but I think King is best as a left sided attacker and we know what Brooks can do coming off the right. Harry Wilson is the dubious selection but with him playing centrally we have a long range shooting option

How is Ramsdale going to play ? He has Covid 19!
If he has recovered by then he wiil still be weak from its effects?

Last edited:
With 5 subs and high risk of injury/illness, expect everyone will play at some point. Except Ibe and those not wanting to play.

;