AFCB v West Ham

The 2016-17 season when we won 3-2, Joshua King scored a hat-trick.

The game last season Gosling, Ake and Wilson’s late goal were our scorers.

The first season Harry Arter scored our goal.

So goals don’t just come from Wilson.

After Eddie went out of his way to praise the players' performance after the game on Sunday and the frustration of the players at the way results have been going for us lately, I can see us being really fired up for this one. If not then there is something seriously wrong with their attitudes. Certainly after the game a couple of players spoke of the importance of the West Ham game, so maybe with Eddie building them up all week long they will go out there and tear the Hammers a new one. I certainly hope so and a nice 5-0 would be a just reward for YankCherry and his lad coming all this way. Let's do it !
:utc::toot:

That scoreline would be nice. However, if you believe that we will defeat Weat Ham by that scoreline with the form that they are on, I can only politely infer that you may have been on the 'wacky baccy'.

That scoreline would be nice. However, if you believe that we will defeat Weat Ham by that scoreline with the form that they are on, I can only politely infer that you may have been on the 'wacky baccy'.
And I politely infer that should this indeed be true, it would be preferable to the benzodiazepines you seem to be taking.
I bid you a good late afternoon/eveningtide.

After Eddie went out of his way to praise the players' performance after the game on Sunday and the frustration of the players at the way results have been going for us lately, I can see us being really fired up for this one. If not then there is something seriously wrong with their attitudes

I really hope that this is the case. Neil did a longish post on another thread and the third paragraph was a bit about Eddie and it sang out to me a little, brought a question to mind. In the current line-up, do we see Eddie's voice on the pitch?? Might that be something missing? Not saying we need to play Surman, nor that we are missing Francis (though we probably are a little in some ways), just that I think Cook concentrates (dwells sometimes) on his own performance rather than driving the team forward or being able to implement the weeks plans on the field. Making sure that people are doing what they trained for rather than going off script because we conceded. Sounds stupid and sometimes things do need changing, but if we've got a cracking plan that is supposed to end in a 3-0 win, going 1 down shouldn't change that plan, we still win 3-1

4-2-3-1

------------Begovic------------
Clyne----Cook---Ake----Smith
-------Lerma-----Gosling-------
Ibe--------Brooks--------Fraser
------------Wilson------------

Subs: Boruc, Mings, Daniels, Stanislas, Surman, Mousset, King

With Ibe, I think he was flat-out wrongly maligned for an average performance against BHA, and did more in 10 minutes than Stan did the whole game vs Everton. I'd give him a go in that formation, where he has more protection from the deeper lying midfielders and the excellent Clyne, and more of a license to drift centrally. Not too much wrong with the Everton first half performance, so keep that as similar as possible, with the more clinical Wilson coming in for King. Please for the love of god get Mings in the squad for this game, if they bring on/start Carroll, then we have no answer and will be dominated aerially. No need for a back 3 for this game imo, but we'll invariably need his height and physicality at some point.

If Fraser needs a rest, I wouldn't mind seeing King in the sort of wide forward position. While as a striker he's completely out of form atm, he's very good at dribbling, hold up play etc. out wide, so might be a good option; might even cut inside and get himself a goal.

The same way as last season, I felt 3 at the back was our best formation with the players we had, this season this 4-2-3-1 looks to be the best use of our players. 3 advanced midfielders who are comfortable drifting centrally and out wide, a formidable lone striker and a defensive screen for the back 4. You've got creativity, better options on the bench with how the squad is used, its easy to switch into another formation, its dynamic... I look at the team and think "Thats a Top 10 lineup".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I fear that what we'll actually get is this...

4-4-2

------------Begovic------------
Clyne----Cook---Ake----Smith
Stan---Lerma---Gosling---Fraser
--------Wilson-----King--------

Subs: Boruc, Rico, Daniels, Simpson, Brooks, Ibe, Mousset

King and Wilson, on the whole, simply doesn't work very well together on a consistent basis (apart from that 0-4 Watford beauty). All of their goals come from either other players or their own individual play; they rarely look for each other, or at the very least fail to get the ball to each other. King is out of form upfront, and Wilson no longer needs a strike partner to do well. I'd rather see Wilson and Mousset than Wilson and King, judging by the Chelsea cup game. King seems to have forgotten how to press properly from the front, which essentially leaves us with a 4-4-1 when not in possession, or he charges back to make a tackle and leaves Wilson on his own. King at his best is a nightmare for defenders, but he isn't at that level.

This awful, flat 4 in the middle formation is most of the reason we concede a lot of goals. We have very good individual defenders, who can defend their goal very well when under pressure. But when you're constantly getting ran at, you're going to make errors or be overwhelmed. All 4 of those players in midfield, as much as I love them, can give the ball away very easily, putting the defence under unnecessary strain. I'm starting to hate 4-4-2 with a passion, I think its the most limiting formation around, predictable, and not really all that conducive towards our more explosive counterattacking style this season, nor is particularly good at keeping hold of the ball (especially with Gosling as one of your main pivots).

Begovic
Clyne. . Cook. Ale. Smith
Brooks. Lerma. Gosling. Daniels
Wilson. Fraser

Time for slight changes I think

UTCIAD

I think King is lacking a little confidence and trying to play himself into form, however that leads to him being quite selfish

West Ham are on a good run but they have only won one more game than us. It could go either way. Could lose or win 3-1.

Looking forward to it.

TBH this is going to be a tough one to call. Having lived in Bournemouth most of my life and been a season ticket holder at various points in my life, it's the one game of the season I genuinely don't mind seeing go either way. As a WHU season ticket holder and lifelong fan I have a huge soft spot for Bournemouth. Love the way they play the game and enjoy the the atmosphere at DC. I'll be there Saturday 60/40 wanting the Irons to win but just enjoying the day. Wouldn't surprise me at all if CW didn't play (with all the rumours of us Cheski and now that horrible North London team showing an interest.

2-2 my guess

TBH this is going to be a tough one to call. Having lived in Bournemouth most of my life and been a season ticket holder at various points in my life, it's the one game of the season I genuinely don't mind seeing go either way. As a WHU season ticket holder and lifelong fan I have a huge soft spot for Bournemouth. Love the way they play the game and enjoy the the atmosphere at DC. I'll be there Saturday 60/40 wanting the Irons to win but just enjoying the day. Wouldn't surprise me at all if CW didn't play (with all the rumours of us Cheski and now that horrible North London team showing an interest.

2-2 my guess

If it is safe to say this. I Agree with your predicted scoreline as I just cannot see us winning it with the form that West Ham are currently on.

If it is safe to say this. I Agree with your predicted scoreline as I just cannot see us winning it with the form that West Ham are currently on.

So you agree with anyoldirons 2-2 predicted scoreline BUT have you not taken into consideration our current list of injuries and players playing even though out of form?
In addition to the injury problems we have Wilsons head will no doubt of been turned, hence his focus cannot be in the right place. Eddie will surely protect him from another serious injury which could potentially scupper a 75M deal.
With all this reality in mind and knowing we do not have anyone that can possibly score us a goal my conclusion is anyoldirons & your 2-2 prediction is out of the question unless WHU score a couple own goals!

I bid you a good morn.

That will be the form that has seen them lose to Burnley, draw with Brighton and get a narrow win over an out of form Arsenal in their last three PL fixtures. You mean that form ?

;