AFCB v West Ham

Talking of Matt Holland, found this old article about when he left West Ham after a discussion with Harry R.

Matt was a stylish midfield player for us and with Steve Jones (Matt’s tenant when at AFCB), we had two very good players from West Ham.

Article.

“He offered me a new deal but said I was going to be fifth or sixth choice central midfielder for him. At the age of 22, I couldn’t be sat not getting a kick, I needed to be getting regular first-team football so they did a deal with Bournemouth.”

The decision to move certainly worked out for Holland in the long run, and it’s a decision he would advise any young players not getting first-team football to make.

“I would say to any youngster, try to play in a first team somewhere. It just means so much more. Your three points might mean that you get into the play-offs or move out of the relegation zone.

“It toughens you up a bit too, and particularly when you’re coming from a Premier League club where everything’s done for you and the facilities are perfect, it gives you an idea about what it’s like lower down the leagues.

“Harry was always one to send his players out on loan. It gives you the hunger to want to go back and prove yourself because (at Bournemouth) we had to wash our own kit, we’d go up on the day to, say, Crewe away and have to meet at six in the morning.

“You’re in a bubble in the Premier League. You go down the leagues and it makes you appreciate what you’ve got in the Premier League.”

“I speak to lots of managers and coaches that say the hunger in young players isn’t what it once was. They’re given big money at the age of 17 or 18 as soon as they sign their first professional contract, and it’s all about the money rather than what you can achieve on the football field.

“I’m not saying all are like that because there are players out there that have still got that attitude, but there aren’t as many. Too many players are happy just to pick up a wage and be sat on a bench. I would say go and play in a first team.

“If you look back at your career and you’ve played 150 games, you might have done nothing. Go and play 600, 700 games, that’s what it’s all about, to look back and have all those memories.”

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-d...iew-ipswich-charlton-turning-down-villa-more/

-------Begovic------
Clyne----Cook----Ake----Smith
Brooks----Surman----Lerma----Fraser
King---Wilson

Gos wasn't the best against Everton and Surman has been relatively consistent, and arguably our best player in some matches against tougher opposition... Get him playing again, Gos makes too many mistakes.

their want away striker is out of the squad tmrw apparently

Been training all week, involved in the set plays etc, and now pulled at the last minute. Not good for them, hopefully
Likely means Carroll will start up front. Mings would be a good option to neutralize him (remember Zlatan).

I am a bit anxious for this one, as points have been hard to come by. On our turf, I hope we can get off to a fast start and get the crowd going, because I suspect the collective psyche is a bit fragile. An early AFCB goal would definitely calm the nerves. A win for YankCherry and son!
:utc:

I’ll hold up my end on keeping the fans up! I’m just worried about singing the songs. You guys use a lot of words we are familiar with. Like what is barmy? Lol

Is this where the hard core fans are? Is there a special meaning of the Ted shed? This was the add on correct? Before it was open ended if I recall....?
The Ted shed is named after our greatest goal scorer of all time Ted MacDougall. They call it a shed as it was only supposed to be temporary.
You need to go to the Fletch stand opposite I think to meet our hard core fans.
During my days watching the team we were always in the old South stand behind the goal, that was before they rebuilt the stadium.

Is this where the hard core fans are? Is there a special meaning of the Ted shed? This was the add on correct? Before it was open ended if I recall....?

"Ted Shed" is because it's a temporary stand named after Ted MacDougall, one of our greatest ever players (once scored nine goals in a single game)

Some "hardcore" fans there (I think RedHouse from this site might be in there?) but the majority are probably at the other end, the North Stand.

You might hear some amusing/insulting/obscene banter with the neighbouring fans, though

Mings and Carroll??

Which one would go off injured first?
Rookie ref, Hooper .... if he calls it real close, both teams would be down to 10 men ... and Jeff will get his 10th yellow. If he "let's them play" could be a war. Still would love to see Tyrone out there.

The Ted shed is named after our greatest goal scorer of all time Ted MacDougall. They call it a shed as it was only supposed to be temporary.
You need to go to the Fletch stand opposite I think to meet our hard core fans.
During my days watching the team we were always in the old South stand behind the goal, that was before they rebuilt the stadium.
The old South Stand

1547821419848.png

Arnautovic has blown so hot and cold in his performances against us over the years for Stoke and WHU, that it's hard to know whether his absence is a benefit or not.

On a bad day he effectively puts his team down to 10 men, whilst he strops around the pitch contributing nothing and moaning at all his team mates. On a good day he's borderline world class and can win games by himself.

We've probably seen more of the former from Arnautovic than we have the latter, perhaps Bournemouth isn't great motivation for him. In which case I'd rather he played.

;