After Burnley thread.

Mings should be part of any back 3 formation in my opinion
Agree. Its just a shame all our other CB's prefer the left.

Cook seems to have got use to the RCB position in a back 2 so should be capable in a 3. Its really down to Ake. He's obviously our best defender, but maybe Eddie needs to be tough and insist he plays in the middle of a 3 to get Mings in?

Missed the first 25 but thought we were terrible for the remainder of the 1st half, nothing stuck, poor defending and just a bit clueless. Second half I thought we were much the better side. Franno will get all kinds of stick but didn’t think he was that bad. Brooks looked much more comfortable in the #10 role, I was impressed by Lerma continuing to try and get on the ball and get the game moving for us and we pinged the ball around much better. A bad day though all truth be told, but not as bad as the 4-0 scoreline suggests. Hopefully we can put this behind us and bounce back against Zaha Palace.

I assume Franno was brought on for his superior crossing ability, not that we were getting any joy from that approach first half.

It's rare to see so many of our team collectively have such a poor game passing the ball. Against a well drilled defence (which they were) set up to counter our strengths it was never going to be our day.
And a bit like last week in reverse, we didn't deserve to be 3 up at HT v Leicester, its just we took our chances. Yesterday, they took theirs
So things to resolve (faith in some other subs would be a start) but it wasn't a 4-0 game

While you have a point, the side that EH put out last season and won 2-1 was also one that should have struggled against Burnleys style of play.
Begovic, Ake, Cook, Mings, Daniels, Hyndman, Surman, Fraser, Ibe, King, Mousset. subs Gosling, Wilson and Defoe for Mings, Hyndman and Mousset

And yet we controlled large parts of that game.
Today was one of those days where the first goal was crucial - we could have easily gone in front - if we had it's a different game.

They scored the first goal last game...

Watching the game yesterday I thought we can win this quite comfortably, we were playing the better football and looked a threat with two missed chances. Then we go in 2-0 down.
Second half we dominated play but never scored and even had a penalty call brought back. mind boggles at that. Pushing like we were, we were stretched at the back conceding 2 more goals. Our luck ran out yesterday, but we still play good football and will bounce back.

Was just a disjointed and cumbersome performance.

Fair play for giving it a go at 2-0 down and had we got one at that stage I think Burnley would have crumbled.

Dyche getting all shouty when 2-0 up probably annoyed me more than the result.

Writing this without reading any other posts, so my thoughts are untainted.

Firstly, win or lose, the journey on the minibus was great. The Farmhouse fruitcakes were delicious. I got in at 11.15 last night, but the back ache I have from yesterday still doesn’t make the day any less enjoyable. Thank you table and the Good Lady.

Regarding the match, I think it’s a sign of the current state of our team. We will beat some teams and then come crashing down. In many ways it reminded me of Huddersfield away. Almost as if the self-belief gets a bit too much.

I really thought we played well for large parts of the match, but boy did we seem to lack an ability to hold the ball up front, or even take chances. I think we missed Gosling too. We all say that its ok to lose if we played well. Maybe “well” is stretching it, but we were by no means poor.

Off the pitch, I thought the chants from our fans were embarrassing. “Hows your European tour” might have been slightly funny had we ever, ever played in Europe ourselves. “Is this a library?” was just so wrong seeing as their fans did make a lot of noise and all without the aid of some folded cardboard and a cheesy OAPs song. The Burnley fans chant re Eddie Howe was very cutting!

Then that Bournemouth bedwetter on 606! Started trooping out the “easy games” we’ve had so far number. He mentioned Cardiff (fair enough) and then Leicester and then said “but they were down to ten men”. Not before we were 3-0 up you, you…

Now, I’m off to read this thread to see who the scapegoats are…

RE the penalty that should have been given:
Granted we were already 3-0 down and it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but what the . . .???!!!
In this league, every goal counts. We now have a -1 goal difference, putting us behind Man United (tied with them on points). Had we been given a penalty (and scored) we would have been ahead of them and still in 6th.
Obviously it's still early in the season, but this is the type of crap that can have serious effects on end-of-season outcomes, and refs are allowed to get away with this crap!!! He needs a retrospective ban!

Nice set of ex-Burnley player pictures on the wall of their stadium. A plaque saying how the players had been chosen by the fans. Nice touch.

Thought they got behind their team yesterday.

RE the penalty that should have been given:
Granted we were already 3-0 down and it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but what the . . .???!!!
In this league, every goal counts. We now have a -1 goal difference, putting us behind Man United (tied with them on points). Had we been given a penalty (and scored) we would have been ahead of them and still in 6th.
Obviously it's still early in the season, but this is the type of crap that can have serious effects on end-of-season outcomes, and refs are allowed to get away with this crap!!! He needs a retrospective ban!

It was pretty bizarre. Will get overlooked what with everything else, but if the scoreline was level this place would have (rightly) exploded in rage about it.

Reactions: DJ

well thats the stupidest thing I've read today

It was pretty bizarre. Will get overlooked what with everything else, but if the scoreline was level this place would have (rightly) exploded in rage about it.

I thought it was a penalty at the time and thought it had been rightly given when he blew the whistle. Only justification for his actions I can think of in hindsight is that he didn’t think it was a penalty and because Burnley cleared the ball we didn’t gain an advantage and therefore pulled it back for the free kick. My thoughts as to what actually happened is that he bottled giving the penalty and used the free kick as a get out clause.

;