Ake £80 million?

Players won't tie themselves to us long term if they think we'll stand in their way if a stupid offer comes in from a top club.

We may be paying £100k/week but, ridiculous as that sounds, a lot more is on offer elsewhere along with European football and the chance to compete at the top of the table most seasons.

A statement of our ambitions would be holding out for a stupid offer even if the player gets itchy feet when a lower offer comes in. To me, that would be a sign that we're serious about being a PL club without potentially scaring players off.

If it did happen at that level....and IF Nathan wanted to go there....I wouldn't begrudge him taking that move. He's good enough.

Leicester are a far bigger club than us but they obviously took the offer for Maguire at that level, they have currently found a replacement they already had and don't look any worse off for it either. We could either wait until next summer to sign someone else, depending on how the league positions are going at that time [ looking at Franno and Mepham to provide the main cover if that happened ].....I am also pretty certain that Eddie will already have a list of replacements in place anyway.

I don't think it shows any weakness if he had to go either....pretty much any club outside the top two at the minute, will have sold players for big money at different times. Chelsea had to sell Hazard for example....and you can work down from there and find examples at most other clubs too.

What makes you think any buy back is still active, or that it is pegged at that value??
I was wondering about that too. Are buybacks typically infinite? I would have thought there would have been a sunset clause.

Still our best player by far, but 80M,,, holy Christmas.

I did read that his chances with the Dutch International club are somewhat limited, with VVD and deLigt preferred. I suppose my thinking is that he would be more satisfied to stay with AFCB if he was getting first team minutes with the Netherlands.

Not that long ago, we'd have been delighted to sell any player for 1% of that. In fact 5% would have staved of administration back in 2008.

If any of our best players get concrete offers and wish to move, then as long as the price is right, we shouldn't be too stubborn / protective. The only reason Fraser is still here (for example) is because Arsenal (nor anyone) ever actually put a bid in! Our operation needs to be about encouraging the best players on their way up, and to do that we need to offer evidence of further progression beyond us to the real big fish.

Last edited:
It also wouldn’t be fair on him. I’m sure Eddie would never deny him a career defining move as that’s part of the brand we are building.
Come here and we will make you special.
At least he’d get the chance of playing in cup semi finals and finals ...

I think the Fraser ship has sailed. However, unless he rediscovers his mojo in a serious way during his last months with us I think he'll end up at Everton/Leicester/West Ham instead of Arsenal/Spurs.

Fraser needs to up his form a bit.......or we might spot him in the back of a Lada on Poole Harbour bridge....being spun across and around the corner to Hamworthy Utds ground for 'talks'. They need a right whinger badly.
Poole Town will have backed out....aint got no kennels for posh dogs!

Fraser needs to up his form a bit.......or we might spot him in the back of a Lada on Poole Harbour bridge....being spun across and around the corner to Hamworthy Utds ground for 'talks'. They need a right whinger badly.
Poole Town will have backed out....aint got no kennels for posh dogs!

not easy to improve form when not actually playing!

I think it would be one of EH's better managerial achievements to turn this situation around, and get a happy RF to sign a new long term contract and carry on performing at the highest level for us

;