Ake or Training Ground?

tednphil

UTC Legend
I can’t believe one or 2 posters on here are serious in their comments that we should sell our best player, just to fund training centre.

Unless we want L1 quickly, it’s a no brainier we keep our best players, or if the player seriously wants to move on, then we replace him with similar quality and therefore similar value.

I wouldn't want to lose him, not much you can do if he wants to go though. Pretty much impossible to replace him as we couldn't afford the wages of many 40-50 mil players, we'd have to take a chance on someone, e.g mepham.

OK, so I 'don't want Ake to be sold, but...

1) It's not a case of 'wanting to sell our best player... As Mr. Czech has indicated, every player has their price and if we're being properly honest with ourselves... Ake is too good to be plying his trade at DC for too many more years.

2) Eddie Howe is not the type of manager to just go out and spend big money on instant replacements... He is more likely to utilise what he knows, for within (if possible). Mings and Franno would be likely candidates to temporarily replace, until a suitable, young player came into the frame, that EH could coach and manage into the next Ake. Mings might even make the shirt his... Instant replacement.

3) We have to grow as a club, not a team... and if Eddie got the knock on the door and was told that we could sell one of our best players, but for more than double what we paid, just 18 months down the line, and as a result, he'd get 'some' money to replace, but a large chuck would be used to build a state of the art training facility... Do you really think Eddie, and the club could not at least consider the proposal???

No one is trying to instantly sell everyone off... It's just looking at the bigger picture... We want PL legacy etc. Selling some quality could be the only way we make that happen...

If we're honest with ourselves, it's a case of when Ake moves on rather than if. He's just that good. I hope he loves it here and wants to stay for years and years, I really hope so. But the more likely event is that a Champions League club comes knocking, sooner or later.

If that happens, Mings will be given a crack first off, and Howe will probably go out and look for a rough diamond he can polish up, because that's what Howe usually does. In this eventuality we should be looking to put some of the cash resulting from this back into the club, considering we appear to be reluctant to do it otherwise.

So if Ake went.... £40-£50 mill......we would spend all that money on a replacement ?....I don't think so

Of course we would, if we want to replace like for like. We aren't Tottenham or Soputhampton, we don't generally get top dollar for our players. If Mawson went for 15M despite only having one year left on his contract, and Leicester refused 50+ for Maguire, then we'd need a rather large figure to be able to replace him and still have change for the complex

edit: added quote for context

Last edited:
Indeed it’s not as simple as “replace him with similar quality and therefore similar value”, as you are talking about a player who would also be a potential target for a top club.

Wages would also be higher than Ake, just like if/when he moves he will get a contract that reflects the level he’s moving too.

So we would be looking at a younger player of high potential. He will come at a premium, but overall there would be a profit to consider how to reinvest...

The cash flow is very different. Unless sold at a big discount transfer fees are usually paid in instalments over three or four years. The costs of developing the training ground will likely involve significant tranches of money very early on. Of course you can borrow against future income, as Sheffield United are doing against the Brooks fee, but that adds to the finance cost.

Anyone who has been to all the games in past year or so will know and understand how important Ake is. He is outstanding player for us. And still only 23. Much more important than some fancy training ground.
I really hope that he stays. No-one else in team is near his all round standards.

Anyone who has been to all the games in past year or so will know and understand how important Ake is. He is outstanding player for us. And still only 23. Much more important than some fancy training ground.
I really hope that he stays. No-one else in team is near his all round standards.

More important than a facility that would benefit the club's squad and management for 30 years to come?
I'm not sure any one player no matter how good it that important.

Obviously any Bournemouth fan would want to to keep but its just not realistic....he's just far too good for us sadly and if we really want to become an established PL team with facilities to match this is how we are going have to do it for the foreseeable future.

One press report and people are adding up the ££££££ signs and arguing over flogging off the family silver.

It reads bloody desperate and tin pot.

That's because we always have been and always will be tin pot. The mind set of this club just never seems to change. At the end of the season it will be 4 years of PL £millions giving us a fantastic team, but it appears we still dont actually have a pot to p*ss in.

Don't Chelsea have a buy back clause. Guaranteed we won't make as much as thought if he does go. Hope he stays another season.

If we're honest with ourselves, it's a case of when Ake moves on rather than if. He's just that good. I hope he loves it here and wants to stay for years and years, I really hope so. But the more likely event is that a Champions League club comes knocking, sooner or later.

If that happens, Mings will be given a crack first off, and Howe will probably go out and look for a rough diamond he can polish up, because that's what Howe usually does. In this eventuality we should be looking to put some of the cash resulting from this back into the club, considering we appear to be reluctant to do it otherwise.

Should anything happen with Ake I would love to see Mings given a decent crack at the team, I think he could be a top defender. Unfortunately EH will always prefer to find a place for Francis, even if it means moving our best RB over to the left to cover for current injuries.

Should anything happen with Ake I would love to see Mings given a decent crack at the team, I think he could be a top defender. Unfortunately EH will always prefer to find a place for Francis, even if it means moving our best RB over to the left to cover for current injuries.

I’m with you. Would love to see Mings get a decent run in the team.

Mings? Perhaps a career in Boxing....where he can actually get in the Ring! I realise he has been unlucky with injuries but is he worth the wages just doing nothing with the odd spot on the bench?

;