All in all whats the point of a wall....

Don't you think the best tactical brains in football may just have considered this and dismissed it as ridiculous. Which it is.

I haven't seen a single post to convince me that there are sensible alternatives to a wall.

Generally a hedge is more decorative.

Yesterday that free kick was a goal 9.5 times out of ten given it's position and the direction of the wind.

A really bad place to concede a free kick, don't know who it was involved but we seemed to have 2 players tracking the run; all looked a bit unnecessary to me.

Don't you think the best tactical brains in football may just have considered this and dismissed it as ridiculous. Which it is.
Until something in football has been tried you can never think of anything about as ridiculous. Football is all about innovation and things like false 9’s, playing from the back and inverted wingers would have seemed ridiculous at some point.

And let’s keep this in perspective. I don’t think anyone is saying you should never have a wall under any circumstances. What I think is up for debate is whether from certain free kick set ups, a different defensive set up might be more effective

Our players would just need to pick up what opposition players there were in and around the box [possibly not that many]....the point is Boruc could see what ever was coming at him.

What if the opposition players all line up outside the area? Do you leave the box empty?

Until something in football has been tried you can never think of anything about as ridiculous. Football is all about innovation and things like false 9’s, playing from the back and inverted wingers would have seemed ridiculous at some point.

And let’s keep this in perspective. I don’t think anyone is saying you should never have a wall under any circumstances. What I think is up for debate is whether from certain free kick set ups, a different defensive set up might be more effective
But that happens already depending on range and angle

What if the opposition players all line up outside the area? Do you leave the box empty?
Why not?......although as i've mentioned how many opposition players are we actually talking about....especially against a team like us who are gaining a reputation for being an extremely effective counter attacking side.

If you ask me....not so much of a good idea I know but.....I think its swings and roundabouts...a really good talking point.
I think RT just edges it with what he says....he watches a lot of football tbf so...
It would be interesting to see some training games or friendly pre- season experiments without walls to test the theory!

Boruc was too far over for that free kick...

If Boruc shifted a yard or two further over, Ritchie would have hit it with his left foot. You just have to applaud the free kick, once the player gets it over the wall and down again at the right angle, it will usually end in the goal.

Looking at it again in slo mo it looks like it took a deflection off the top of Lermas head......another reason not to have a wall!

about 5 min 18 secs in.

If there wasn’t a defensive wall, I think you’d find the attacking team forming their own wall of sorts a bit further away than 10 yards away allowing more time to get up and over, just to obstruct the keepers view and force them off centre of the goal.

9 out if 10 times the ball is either hit into the wall, straight into the keepers arms or blazed over the bar. To suggest not providing a wall would in my opinion be suicide. The success rate of direct free kicks would increase dramatically.

Messi has just put a FK in the top corner on the keeper’s side. I don’t think there was any blame on the keeper. Interestingly the keeper could not see Messi due to the position of the wall. That split second of blindness might have made the difference?

Obviously I can understand suggesting having no wall for Messi would be insane. However, I do think when the new rule comes in next year, a slightly unorthodox wall formation might be better than the current consensus

Had this last year after the Mahrez free kick - I said that we didn't need a wall and some dismissed it out of hand by some. Although the week before the City goalie was telling his defenders not to make a wall as the free kick was 30+ yards out.

In some cases with long range free kicks, it's worth the goalie considering it. Go - beat me then!

Had this last year after the Mahrez free kick - I said that we didn't need a wall and some dismissed it out of hand by some. Although the week before the City goalie was telling his defenders not to make a wall as the free kick was 30+ yards out.

In some cases with long range free kicks, it's worth the goalie considering it. Go - beat me then!
It's all a bit subjective as to what distance from goal you stop putting a wall up - 25 yards, 30 yards ? who the kicker is, the strength and direction of the wind, the angle from goal . I suspect the goalkeepers have the final say on this. The Mahrez one I think was a marginal case at best for a wall - it was a long way out. The one on Saturday I think every keeper in the league would have put a wall up.

...most times a wall will block the shot, so yes I think it is needed...Boruc should have got closer to the kick though as if a player bends it over the top it is never going to be a rocket of a shot...looked like it almost floated past him!

It's all a bit subjective as to what distance from goal you stop putting a wall up - 25 yards, 30 yards ? who the kicker is, the strength and direction of the wind, the angle from goal . I suspect the goalkeepers have the final say on this. The Mahrez one I think was a marginal case at best for a wall - it was a long way out. The one on Saturday I think every keeper in the league would have put a wall up.
...and most keepers would have saved it too IMO...poor positioning the kick wasn't even close to the post or bar?

;