Am I strange?

GARYafCb

Fans' Favourite
I went to Wolverhampton yesterday and saw us lose.

As I was leaving the game I felt mildly disappointed.

Although we had played with a makeshift team due to a plethora of injuries, I thought we had looked the much better footballing side. It was irritating to see us give the ball away, particularly for their first goal, but I know none of the players do that on purpose. They all give their best every game, but everyone makes mistakes. I understood that the second goal was given away because the whole team had piled forward in an attempt to get what would have been a well deserved draw.

We have one of the brightest young managers in the world who works his socks off to make AFC Bournemouth the best they can be. He makes tactical decisions to try to give the team the best chance of victory. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

The team were also playing in diabolical conditions - I was soaked and freezing and I was vaguely under a roof wearing 5 layers.

We lost, but are still mid table, and are highly unlikely to end up in a relegation fight, in the best league in the world.

I didn’t see the need to whinge and moan about out players and management.

I didn’t feel that I needed to go on social media to say that we were an embarrassment.

I didn’t think that some of our players need sacking, are useless and not fit to wear the shirt.

And I would never talk down our team, predict that we are going to lose, and then show off and try to gain kudos from that prediction. For me, people who do that are not fans, they are just dicks!
But, I seem to be in a minority in taking a defeat without feeling entitled and throwing my toys out of the pram.

Does that make me strange?

Although we had played with a makeshift team due to a plethora of injuries, I thought we had looked the much better footballing side. It was irritating to see us give the ball away, particularly for their first goal, but I know none of the players do that on purpose. They all give their best every game, but everyone makes mistakes. I understood that the second goal was given away because the whole team had piled forward in an attempt to get what would have been a well deserved draw.

We have one of the brightest young managers in the world who works his socks off to make AFC Bournemouth the best they can be. He makes tactical decisions to try to give the team the best chance of victory. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

The team were also playing in diabolical conditions - I was soaked and freezing and I was vaguely under a roof wearing 5 layers.

We lost, but are still mid table, and are highly unlikely to end up in a relegation fight, in the best league in the world.

I didn’t feel that I needed to go on social media to say that we were an embarrassment.

I didn’t think that some of our players need sacking, are useless and not fit to wear the shirt.

And I would never talk down our team, predict that we are going to lose, and then show off and try to gain kudos from that prediction. For me, people who do that are not fans, they are just dicks!
But, I seem to be in a minority in taking a defeat without feeling entitled and throwing my toys out of the pram.

Definitely ! Because I'm indubitably strange and I feel exactly the same way as you ! ;)

No. That's what people think who have supported the team for decades. The people who go whatever the division and whoever we were playing. The core. The people who will still be there when we are in league 2 again. The people who would have stayed if we had gone out of the league. Not the 8502.

Good post Gary. I like a moan at the match and always think its good that I can't type anything straight after a game.

Yes football is emotional and we all hate seeing the team lose, but it happens.

What I don't particularly like are the 'experts' who have nothing to say when we're on a winning streak but know all the solutions when we hit a rocky patch.

They'll call it 'debate' of course.

I haven't yet had the thrill of seeing the gloating from our new Grim Reaper but I'll have a look now.

nowhere near strange.....just a Great Supporter with common sense!
Stay with the Dream....you helped get us there!

Spot on Gary.

I think its a shame there isn't a block on social media in the hour following the final whistle! We all will have emotions running too high at that moment, one way or another. I saw many comments on Twitter as the game finished that gave the impression we had just lost 7-0 to Crawley or someone.

The game was a fine line. We gave them a goal, then the two teams probably struggled in the conditions, they felt happy to keep us at arms length, we didn't properly open them up with Callum on the bench. We hit the bar, had a few shots on target blocked. They get a breakaway in the 94th minute.

With the makeshift nature of the team yesterday, away to apparently the new golden boys of the PL, with their multi multi million pound squad, we still probably deserved a point. It's not as bad as people are making out for sure. They beat Chelsea up there last week. We've only played proper poorly in a couple of games....Huddersfield and the second half against Liverpool. Most of the rest have been fine margins, errors from officials and a couple of silly mistakes.

I'm pretty sure we'll be back on track very soon and if Eddie can bring a couple of players in when January arrives, still think a top ten finish will be very achievable

Well said Gary - totally agree.
Yesterday was the proper English football "Matchday Experience" rain, wind and cold and defeat included, not the plastic version the PL try to sell us - like crass pre-kick off fireworks!
Spot on. We have had years of misery and disappointment. We know when we are with that. Trouble is Eddie has given us hope over the years. That's the problem, hope.

It's good for some of our newer supporters to experience some misery.

...well if you become a slave to football and you pick your team, or it is picked for you by fate...then you go to games always wishing for a result, hopefully a win by playing exhilarating football or by defending heroically...maybe as we age the consequences of the result matters that little bit less or we become more circumspect?

I know that whatever league we are competing in when we lose it hurts, momentarily, but we pick ourselves up move forward with bounding confidence and enthusiasm and gusto..we bemoan certain players...we damn our luck with decisions...and blame referees and the football gods for deserting us!

All I know is that I have seen my club in all four divisions, and against virtually all the clubs in the land...it matters not whether I am cheering on a Narada or an Ake they are my team an it doesn't matter...

even now the novelty of The PL has worn off, and for me a defeat to any team means more consternation from fans on social media. Where did all these new fans come from and what do they really expect from AFCB?..

Of course I want us to survive, that comes with me wanting us to win as many games as is possible. However when we get relegated one year I won't turn against my club and cry, I will reflect on how much joy and pain this club has given me...no one takes away the incredible and sometimes desolate feelings that I have had over the nearly 50 years of being a Bournemouth fan...I remember them all with equal passion!

We have something special here, that no big club's fans have probably ever encountered and it should give us all a more balanced contented glow inside...we have witnessed miracles and wonderment and I for one feel blessed for that!

Whatever the future....I will be here until I draw my last breath..

UTCIAD

I see this as a reward for having supported in the Benson years.

When people say "that is the worse I've seen us play in years" I tend to think they haven't been watching very long.

Was it worse than the 2-0 home defeat to Barnet under Jimmy Quinn?

Probably not - and that really was worth moaning about!

Last edited:
I see this as a reward for having supported in the Benson years.

When people say "that is the worse I've seen us play in years" I tend to think they haven't been watching very long.

Was it worse than the 2-0 home defeat to Barnet under Jimmy Quinn?

Probably not - ant that really was worth moaning about!
...I recall sitting in The old Main Stand watching AFCB v Halifax Town...and I was part of a crowd under 2,000...so I am not going to moan about losing in The PL to anyone!...the teams I suffered under Hartley,Benson,Megson,Quinn,Groves/Brooks now that WAS something to moan about!

.I recall sitting in The old Main Stand watching AFCB v Halifax Town...and I was part of a crowd under 2,000

I stand to be corrected but I don't think, even in the darkest hours, that we ever had a league crowd of under two thousand. From memory of course, so I could well be mistaken, but the lowest was about 2200 towards the end of the season in the late 70s.

My programmes and Rothmans are all packed away in the garage so if anyone can confirm ?

I remember, on leaving the Winter Gardens on that famous night, bumping into the late Dennis Bushby (who older fans might remember), and saying to him that we just had to keep AFCB going because it was simply inconceivable that we would no longer have a Football League club in Bournemouth, and that our name wouldn't be heard every Winter's Saturday evening as the football results were read out on Sports Report.
Well, between us all we managed to stop the worst thing happening, but what was really absolutely inconceivable on that night is that within 20 years or so we would have some of our fans complaining about players not being good enough to play for AFCB after League defeats to Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Wolves.

You are strange, Gary, I've seen you at matches! However, you are perfectly correct in your analysis. It does hurt when we're on a bad run but overall the picture is extremely rosy. I stand to be corrected but didn't we go on a bad run in January when we won the Championship?

Had a bit of a moan in car whilst drying out ( was just behind you Gary ) 5 of us all had our thoughts about player in / out, positions etc.
By the time we had our coffe at Gloucester, and had a chat with some MC fans, normality resumed and looking forward to Brighton and taking the piss over the two who were going on and on about Strickly !!!!!!

;