American Landing in Bournemouth!

Hi YC - sounds like you dumped the idea of driving. Too bad, it is a fun experience and gives you ultimate flexibility. Driving down especially through the New Forest, Brockenhurst ponies, nice pubs along the way, and then into BM. When we did it, roads were good although I have seen on here that there has been various construction.

Anyway, have a great trip and hope the weather is pleasant.

Hi YC - sounds like you dumped the idea of driving. Too bad, it is a fun experience and gives you ultimate flexibility. Driving down especially through the New Forest, Brockenhurst ponies, nice pubs along the way, and then into BM. When we did it, roads were good although I have seen on here that there has been various construction.

Anyway, have a great trip and hope the weather is pleasant.

Hey John,

Just from London. I may get one once I arrive in Bournemouth still.

I remember - Isn't you kid the mascot?

1. Coach to bournemouth interchange. Have you worked out how to get from there to where ever you're staying?

Enjoy your stay.

I was told Uber is the same as here in the US...is that correct?

Also I was told everyone over there takes kids to the pub! lol

I would recommend the Larder House in Southbourne as a good place to eat.

I don’t think you have said which part of the US you are from. If you are a Yankee then Bournemouth’s weather will seem unseasonably warm and you and your lad should enjoy many of the outdoor suggestions like cycling, the zip wire and so on. (Don’t get carried away though, it won’t be like Florida or Southern California.). If however you are from the South it will feel pretty cold to you.

I would recommend the Larder House in Southbourne as a good place to eat.

I don’t think you have said which part of the US you are from. If you are a Yankee then Bournemouth’s weather will seem unseasonably warm and you and your lad should enjoy many of the outdoor suggestions like cycling, the zip wire and so on. (Don’t get carried away though, it won’t be like Florida or Southern California.). If however you are from the South it will feel pretty cold to you.

HAHA yes you guys are about 10 degrees warmer than us in Pennsylvania.

Ifg you're intending to do the Studland Ferry to get over to Purbeck, check that it's running.

It's broken, but being mended

FERRY SERVICE SUSPENDED
FERRY SERVICE SUSPENDED Update 04/01/19: The works on the ferry are progressing well and we hope to have completed them later next week (week commencing 07/01/19). On completion of these, we will need to obtain the relevant approvals before we can restart the service. We will update as soon as we have any further information.

Southbourne is pretty good for food and pubs and close(ish) after walking through King’s Park.
The Way Out back, Brewhouse, then Larder House for some food, and then Wight Bear. Nice walk through fisherman’s walk (pint in commodore) and walk along seafront toward the Head (then pint in Spyglass) then walk to Hengistbury head and a cake in the cafe.

The outback and wight bear are small and not child friendly.

The Larder House like many places is probably bookings only on a Sunday.

If you have an interest in history or geology, get over to the Purbecks, Corfe Castle (it's a ruin but still seems to set tourist hearts racing) and Durdle Door and take your lad fossil hunting along the Jurassic coast somewhere (lots of places to find amonites etc).

Charmouth is very difficult to get to unless you hire a car.

A trip to Swanage is a must on the Purbeck Breezer open top bus from the town centre which will hopefully take you via the Sandbanks chain ferry. At Swanage do a steam train trip to Corfe Castle. If history takes your interest then it's got to be a visit to Salisbury Cathedral on the fast bus service. Tallest spire in the UK, original Magna Carta and oldest working clock. It's a magnificent building. Nearer Bounemouth both Wimborne with it's minster and Christchurch Prory are worth a visit. Finally a walk along the seven miles of beach which we are famous for and which Brighton is always jealous of.

You certainly need to sample a full English breakfast, a roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner plus fish and chips at Chez Fred Westbourne and a fish meal at Rick Stein's Sandbanks. Enjoy your trip.

;